Private servers/Hardcore mode/Friendly Fire

Leuthispar
4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
Maybe I am ignorant but what is the official reasoning behind taking away classic core features of PC FPS(including previous BF) such as being able to host your own servers, enable hardcore mode or friendly fire? I can maybe understand taking away all the options from official DICE servers so that you do not have to host thousands of servers... even though EA/DICE have more than enough profit to do it, but I get it, its business. Since you filled the menu screen with so much stuff, why not add surveys/polls to see what features/things the players want?

I used to love battlefield series for the immersion and several modes of combat. BF1 was a severe disappointment with minimal tank/plane combat and lack of friendly fire. BFV seems to be following suit with oversimplifying the game; Before it would take you several weeks and often months to max out rank/classes and now its a a couple of months and the lack of diversity on guns/gadgets and heavy focus on cosmetics is like BF1 all over again.

I decided to write this because I have spent the last hour trying to play conquest and/or frontlines and I keep waiting for up to 3 mins in queue only top be placed in the same 2 severs with 6-8 people. At a minimum you should allow us to favorite servers, I would rather be 15th in queue for a full server than spend an hour(and sometimes I stayed for 30 mins in those empty servers waiting to fill) not being able to play multiplayer in game that just released a handful of months ago.

Comments

• Zz_Nabu_zZ
    378 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    They know exactly what we want regarding RSP, but it will cost them too much money to make it happen.
  • -aarp-19Crib
    713 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Zz_Nabu_zZ wrote: »
    They know exactly what we want regarding RSP, but it will cost them too much money to make it happen.

I'm not sure about that. They are using an Amazon internet system of some sort so bolting on another part shouldn't be that big of a deal. I think it's the complaining they had to endure in BF4 when hacks got kicked or banned and the "trail of tears" led to the corporate office.
  • Leuthispar
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

RSP?
  • -Antares65z
    1610 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Aside from the cost, EA also doesn't want rented servers because it prolongs the interest in the game. BF4 is the model example of that theory. EA wants you to be bored with their latest game and ready to buy their new one each year. Not every 2-3 years.
  • Leuthispar

Aside from the cost, EA also doesn't want rented servers because it prolongs the interest in the game. BF4 is the model example of that theory. EA wants you to be bored with their latest game and ready to buy their new one each year. Not every 2-3 years.

From a business model perspective this makes absolute sense... sucks for the diehard fans of BF series like myself though.
  • -Antares65z
    1610 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Leuthispar wrote: »

From a business model perspective this makes absolute sense... sucks for the diehard fans of BF series like myself though.

If I had to bet, I would say that BF1 will be the last BF game that you could rent a server. Combined with the growing cheating problem in their latest games and lack of community servers, it's probably safe to say that it was fun while it lasted. Unless their next game is a real hit, chances are I've purchased my last BF game. Match Making and cheaters on Day 1 of a new release isn't my cup of tea.
  • alienstout
    680 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I'm not sure about that. They are using an Amazon internet system of some sort so bolting on another part shouldn't be that big of a deal. I think it's the complaining they had to endure in BF4 when hacks got kicked or banned and the "trail of tears" led to the corporate office.

Yep, just spin up another instance in AWS and good to go. I'm sure using outside firms is more difficult... but that is the outside firm's problem and they have experience in dealing with these.

In the end, EA just doesn't want this because... pick any reason you want - bellybutton lint, crying babies, acid rain. Any reason will make as much sense as whatever they are using to justify this decision.
  • Zz_Nabu_zZ
    378 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Leuthispar wrote: »

RSP?

RSP = Rental Server Program

Exactly. Without private servers, there wouldn't be any player on BF3 and BF4 for a long time now.