Undocumented Tank Changes

F8RGE
6 postsMember, EA Community Manager
Looks like this one missed the patch notes, sorry about that. To confirm, this is an intentional change.

What you're likely seeing is that 20mm HE is now unable to hurt tanks and AA can hurt medium tanks but only at the right angles.

We know that 20mm and AA were pretty dominant before hand and we wanted to shake things up. It could have been that we've gone too far with this change, but in that case we'll be watching your feedback and willing to act accordingly.

Comments

• MBT_Layzan
    2462 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    oh, ok, thank you for letting us know.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6310 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2019
    I think overall it's a good change because honestly Staghound shouldn't be able to take down Tiger easily. But no damage at all? It feels like a bit too much, maybe 10-12 damage per hit should be more balanced? I also feel light tanks should deal more damage to infantry because those are supposed to be anti-infantry vehicles.
    Now if you nerf assault even more, the game will be in a decent place regarding tank vs tank and infantry vs tank balance.
  • patchkid67
    28 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 2019
    Do the AP rounds from the Staghound still deal damage to tanks when using the 20MM auto-cannon? If so, this seems to make the staghound better than the 38t since you cannot spec both the 20MM and AP rounds on the 38t. In fact, the Staghound has better tank killing options all around since you can also go with the rockets which do well against heavy tanks.
  • DukeSan27
    1297 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Let’s assume that other Tanks are now much more capable/survivable against Infantry.

Because that was the only reason to choose Light Tanks w/20mm earlier.

Otherwise it’s bad decision to balance Tank v Tank but ignore rest of the balance aspects.

Let’s see how this plays. Though there are other ways to balance 20mm, like reducing overheat to 15 rounds, removing multipliers etc.
  • DukeSan27
    1297 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Before I forget, now the P38T (an actual TANK) with 20mm is reduced to an armored car status.

While the Staghound (an actual ARMORED CAR) with 20mm (and 20mm AP rounds) is more of a Tank.

Think about it.
  • Noromiz
    291 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    rainkloud wrote: »
    Um yeah. The AA is fine like this but the 20mm HE needs to be buffed against infantry and at least needs to do some damage vs light tanks.

He did say it couldn't harm Heavy Tanks and only do damage to Medium Tanks from the right angle, nothing was said about changes against Light Tanks or Transports so we can assume the damage there is unchanged.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    F8RGE wrote: »
    Looks like this one missed the patch notes, sorry about that. To confirm, this is an intentional change.

What you're likely seeing is that 20mm HE is now unable to hurt tanks and AA can hurt medium tanks but only at the right angles.

We know that 20mm and AA were pretty dominant before hand and we wanted to shake things up. It could have been that we've gone too far with this change, but in that case we'll be watching your feedback and willing to act accordingly.

I remember getting in a Tiger on Panzerstorm and being taken out by a 20mm Flak 38 faster than I could reverse out of it's line of fire. That was a bit annoying. It's a game and not a simulation, but some things in BF are just too fictional and it's nice if this one was corrected.
  • ElSamuel04
    115 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2019
    I think 0 damage to a medium and heavy tank is extremely ( infact using 38t and meeting a valentine I was forced to not even engage him).

I suggest for better gameplay experience to increase the damage from 0 to 1 at least. (Autocannon can shot 20 ammunitions before it overeat) and increase the chances that this tipe of ammo can ricochet on heavy and medium tanks. So maybe a medium/ heavy tank cab take between 5\10 damage (or even less) from medium range from 20 bullet of autocannon.

• DukeSan27
    ElSamuel04 wrote: »
    I think 0 damage to a medium and heavy tank is extremely ( infact using 38t and meeting a valentine I was forced to not even engage him).

I suggest for better gameplay experience to increase the damage from 0 to 1 at least. (Autocannon can shot 20 ammunitions before it overeat) and increase the chances that this tipe of ammo can ricochet on heavy and medium tanks. So maybe a medium/ heavy tank cab take between 5\10 damage (or even less) from medium range from 20 bullet of autocannon.

Why take a reasonable approach when you can put things though a washing machine just to "shake things up"?

Oh wait, being reasonable requires that you actually know your own game. My bad.
  • MBT_Layzan
    2462 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Was it mentioned in patch notes that depots take longer to fix now?
  • DukeSan27
    MBT_Layzan wrote: »

Yeah, its in the notes,, Tanker/Pilot class no longer builds faster than Engineer class (or some crap like this).
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DukeSan27 wrote: »
    Before I forget, now the P38T (an actual TANK) with 20mm is reduced to an armored car status.

While the Staghound (an actual ARMORED CAR) with 20mm (and 20mm AP rounds) is more of a Tank.

Think about it.

No big surprise seeing Dice ongoing bias against german Vehicles.
  • MonicasCigar
    113 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Stahlmach wrote: »

Think about it.

No big surprise seeing Dice ongoing bias against german Vehicles.

yeah, not really sure thats the reason but whatever dude.
  • WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

I don’t understand though as the 20mm autocannon upgrade path on the Pz. 38t has no AP option. These changes have made a lot of peoples’ favourite tank relatively redundant. I mean 20mms do no damage against a Staghound? I can understand no damage against a Churchill but really, nothing against a light tank?
  • WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2019
    MBT_Layzan wrote: »

I don’t even know if this was intentional. I think it was an unintended consequence of decreasing their time to build fortifications. Making depots take longer to build again is such a step in the wrong direction, I mean was that really something that needed nerfing? Also why the hell do infantry ammo resupply depots have more HP than a tank depot?
  • DukeSan27

I don’t understand though as the 20mm autocannon upgrade path on the Pz. 38t has no AP option. These changes have made a lot of peoples’ favourite tank relatively redundant. I mean 20mms do no damage against a Staghound? I can understand no damage against a Churchill but really, nothing against a light tank?

They key words are "we wanted to shake things up", no logic was applied.
  • ElSamuel04
    115 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

There will be a new specialization for light tank now: Summon a bot assault player with full explosive ammunitions, he is 100% accurate with piat and if you are close to enemies tank hell drop dinamite and even mine. You can use it only one time so you need to go at supply depot :)
  • WinterWarhurst

They key words are "we wanted to shake things up", no logic was applied.

Honestly this is the kind of balance I’d get if I wanted to be room temperature so I put my head in an oven with my feet in a freezer.
  • DukeSan27
    ElSamuel04 wrote: »

There will be a new specialization for light tank now: Summon a bot assault player with full explosive ammunitions, he is 100% accurate with piat and if you are close to enemies tank hell drop dinamite and even mine. You can use it only one time so you need to go at supply depot :)

Or just let me deploy in Tank with PIAT equipped...