Undocumented Tank Changes

Comments

• MBT_Layzan
    2462 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    it's clearly a BUG, all vehicle should be equal in the game, it's not wise to let certain vehicle to overwhelm the other.

now 20mm can't hurt other tanks, but other tanks can do lots of damage to light tank, it's calling balance at all.

in fact, you should not change the damage/armor system between tanks, that involved too many problem to solve, and some is out of your expectation, you can just increase the HP of heavy tanks instead of doing this.

I don't think all vehicles should be equal, they should have different capabilities, players should have to meet the challenge of playing in vehicles with different advantages and disadvantages. Having light tanks that can absorb hits like heavier tanks is ridiculous, as is far more powerful guns being no more effective that the weapons on light vehicles. Game balance shouldn't be based on raw fiction with no relationship to common sense or the game ends up feeling like a cartoon.

ALL I do is play in light tanks

It only takes TWO HITS from a heavy tank to blow up a light tank.

Do you know how hard it is to stay alive in a light tank against a decent heavy tank player ?

Now I can't even fight back.

Ridiculous

Have you tried them against infantry with the splash damage buff? Also do remember 20mm autocannons firing HE have about 2mm pen or so; they shouldn’t do any damage to tanks, but it should wreck infantry and planes. The real problem is no AP upgrade on the Pz. 38t for its autocannons. Likewise there’s no HVAP on the Wirbelwind.

If you had 90+ AP rounds that did decent damage to light tanks and the rear and sides of medium tanks they would be fine.

Yes (20mm) better against infantry for sure, But I've always done well against infantry in light tanks.

I honestly didn't have much of a problem with splash damage against infantry using 20mm.

YES it was too low though, I agree.

They do need to change the upgrade path for sure. Some sort of AP option.

My fav 38t loadout is now null and void against heavy tanks.

I have 3000+ kills in the Pz. 38t with autocannons so I feel you! I think the solution is moving the AP upgrade to the middle so it’s accesible by both lines, although I do love the S-mines!

In the mean time try the Pz. IV again, far right and far left upgrade lines are actually great again, finally! Valentine with 6-pounder is also feeling far better.

Yes, the Valentine is in a good place right now.
    e94mli wrote: »
    The problem with the stagehound being able to take out the t38 is that you can not outrun it. All the other tanks you can at least try to run and hide from. Have had it happen to me twice already and there is nothing you can do unless you get help.

So far I'm crippling Stags/Valentine's with the APCR/loading mech 38t with them using AP or not. I was using this setup weeks before the patch, I didn't think the auto cannon was all that and gave away my position too much. I have over 5000 kills with it. The rate of fire, extra AP dam, splash, it's pretty good.

So far, I've not been two hit killed, I know it can happen, I do it to many when I'm in the Val myself.
  • MBT_Layzan
    2462 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'd love it if you only took disabled dam once your below 50-30% health. That at least would give the light tank more shine on it's mobility.
  • WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    MBT_Layzan wrote: »
    it's clearly a BUG, all vehicle should be equal in the game, it's not wise to let certain vehicle to overwhelm the other.

now 20mm can't hurt other tanks, but other tanks can do lots of damage to light tank, it's calling balance at all.

in fact, you should not change the damage/armor system between tanks, that involved too many problem to solve, and some is out of your expectation, you can just increase the HP of heavy tanks instead of doing this.

I don't think all vehicles should be equal, they should have different capabilities, players should have to meet the challenge of playing in vehicles with different advantages and disadvantages. Having light tanks that can absorb hits like heavier tanks is ridiculous, as is far more powerful guns being no more effective that the weapons on light vehicles. Game balance shouldn't be based on raw fiction with no relationship to common sense or the game ends up feeling like a cartoon.

Do you know how hard it is to stay alive in a light tank against a decent heavy tank player ?

Ridiculous

Have you tried them against infantry with the splash damage buff? Also do remember 20mm autocannons firing HE have about 2mm pen or so; they shouldn’t do any damage to tanks, but it should wreck infantry and planes. The real problem is no AP upgrade on the Pz. 38t for its autocannons. Likewise there’s no HVAP on the Wirbelwind.

If you had 90+ AP rounds that did decent damage to light tanks and the rear and sides of medium tanks they would be fine.

Yes (20mm) better against infantry for sure, But I've always done well against infantry in light tanks.

I honestly didn't have much of a problem with splash damage against infantry using 20mm.

I have 3000+ kills in the Pz. 38t with autocannons so I feel you! I think the solution is moving the AP upgrade to the middle so it’s accesible by both lines, although I do love the S-mines!

In the mean time try the Pz. IV again, far right and far left upgrade lines are actually great again, finally! Valentine with 6-pounder is also feeling far better.

The problem with the stagehound being able to take out the t38 is that you can not outrun it. All the other tanks you can at least try to run and hide from. Have had it happen to me twice already and there is nothing you can do unless you get help.

So far I'm crippling Stags/Valentine's with the APCR/loading mech 38t with them using AP or not. I was using this setup weeks before the patch, I didn't think the auto cannon was all that and gave away my position too much. I have over 5000 kills with it. The rate of fire, extra AP dam, splash, it's pretty good.

So far, I've not been two hit killed, I know it can happen, I do it to many when I'm in the Val myself.

Ridiculous

Yeah I’ve changed my Pz. 38t to that upgrade path, might play around with it some more!
  • rainkloud
    592 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Ridiculous

20mm auto cannon didn't get any blast damage increase. I downloaded and converted the files so I can tell now. The Long barrel 75mm PZIV gun went from 85 blast to 112. Radius stays the same.

Does anyone know if the heavy AA like the 37 and 40mm variants is damaging armour at all like the OP says? I tried the quad in the practice range against the Churchill and the Wirbelwind and no luck there.
  • MBT_Layzan

Ridiculous

Ridiculous

Yeah I’ve changed my Pz. 38t to that upgrade path, might play around with it some more!

I really like it, I do believe I can OHK infantry too with it's standard main round. The MG is good, it does take quite a lot to take out heavy tanks, but in this game, I just mes them up, they run and infantry normally race after them. I've spotted them so... Or, shadow my side and I'm the one finishing them off with the rapid APCR rounds.

I still don't know about spotting and smoke, there are times I shoot them through their own smoke as I see the red icon. I have two PC's with this game so I could run test back in the day on an empty server. But here the game won't start until it has players.

If this tank didn't get tracks disabled so easy, it would be really good like the VAl, but good tanking should see you through this. Rotterdam is a pain to play in a 38t but this tank shines on maps like panzerstorm.
  • MBT_Layzan
    edited February 2019
    Direct hit OHK infantry on the 38t I think. But it's been made worse against planes, it should OHK them like the VAl can.
  • DukeSan27
    1297 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    rainkloud wrote: »

Ridiculous

20mm auto cannon didn't get any blast damage increase. I downloaded and converted the files so I can tell now. The Long barrel 75mm PZIV gun went from 85 blast to 112. Radius stays the same.

Does anyone know if the heavy AA like the 37 and 40mm variants is damaging armour at all like the OP says? I tried the quad in the practice range against the Churchill and the Wirbelwind and no luck there.

85 to 112? Wow. That was not even documented.

And base HE? 100 to 112?

Or they made a mistake and upgraded the wrong shell to 112 value (which 12% more over 100)?
  • WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    DukeSan27 wrote: »

Ridiculous

And base HE? 100 to 112?

Or they made a mistake and upgraded the wrong shell to 112 value (which 12% more over 100)?

Do you want them to nerf it back to being useless or something?
  • WinterWarhurst

Ridiculous

I have 3000+ kills in the Pz. 38t with autocannons so I feel you! I think the solution is moving the AP upgrade to the middle so it’s accesible by both line s, although I do love the S-mines!

Ridiculous

I really like it, I do believe I can OHK infantry too with it's standard main round. The MG is good, it does take quite a lot to take out heavy tanks, but in this game, I just mes them up, they run and infantry normally race after them. I've spotted them so... Or, shadow my side and I'm the one finishing them off with the rapid APCR rounds.

I still don't know about spotting and smoke, there are times I shoot them through their own smoke as I see the red icon. I have two PC's with this game so I could run test back in the day on an empty server. But here the game won't start until it has players.

If this tank didn't get tracks disabled so easy, it would be really good like the VAl, but good tanking should see you through this. Rotterdam is a pain to play in a 38t but this tank shines on maps like panzerstorm.

Do you have the same problem on PC where the first person zoomed view in the Pz. 38t has really low sensitivity compared to the medium tanks? My turret traversed while zoomed is insanely slow!
  • DukeSan27
    1297 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    DukeSan27 wrote: »

Ridiculous

And base HE? 100 to 112?

Do you want them to nerf it back to being useless or something?

No no, all good. I might even jump back in if SLI gets sorted out.
  • MBT_Layzan

Ridiculous

I have 3000+ kills in the Pz. 38t with autocannons so I feel you! I think the solution is moving the AP upgrade to the middle so it’s accesible by both line s, although I do love the S-mines!

Ridiculous

Do you have the same problem on PC where the first person zoomed view in the Pz. 38t has really low sensitivity compared to the medium tanks? My turret traversed while zoomed is insanely slow!

It's defiantly faster than the other tanks, truth is, I've cranked my sensitivity to almost 200%, played many a time on 200% too. I found I killed just fine, but had the added bonus of better mobility. I'm still experimenting but having ultra sensitivity has it's perks but then I have a mouse.
  • WinterWarhurst

Ridiculous

Ridiculous

It's defiantly faster than the other tanks, truth is, I've cranked my sensitivity to almost 200%, played many a time on 200% too. I found I killed just fine, but had the added bonus of better mobility. I'm still experimenting but having ultra sensitivity has it's perks but then I have a mouse.

I like having a smoother and slower third person sensitivity, maybe there’s some way I can make it work, universal soldier aiming for vehicles or something, might have a play around with it later, I just remember it making my 3p sensitivity too high when I maxed it out.

IIRC when I first set my sensitivities I did it with the medium tanks so their zoomed first person sensitivity had identical turret traverse to what it’s capped to.
  • MBT_Layzan

Ridiculous

Ridiculous

I like having a smoother and slower third person sensitivity, maybe there’s some way I can make it work, universal soldier aiming for vehicles or something, might have a play around with it later, I just remember it making my 3p sensitivity too high when I maxed it out.

IIRC when I first set my sensitivities I did it with the medium tanks so their zoomed first person sensitivity had identical turret traverse to what it’s capped to.

Indeed. I did too, but annoyingly, the higher your sensitivity the better you can move, even accelerate for PC tanking. I don't know how it is for other platform. It can be the difference between getting out of a really difficult situation, and dodging shots etc.
  • ShizukuEnju
    27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Theres no nerf, just now I played a match where I stuck 3 dynamites onto a P38T and threw an AT grenade toward it, it literally just did 36 damage, and not even disabled the track nor the turret. YES TANKS NOW ARE FINALLY USEABLE.
  • WinterWarhurst

Ridiculous

Ridiculous

Indeed. I did too, but annoyingly, the higher your sensitivity the better you can move, even accelerate for PC tanking. I don't know how it is for other platform. It can be the difference between getting out of a really difficult situation, and dodging shots etc.

Wait what?! Sensitivity affects acceleration and turning?! That’s insane.
  • MBT_Layzan

Ridiculous

Ridiculous

Wait what?! Sensitivity affects acceleration and turning?! That’s insane.

Big time, the higher you set it, the more reactive the tank on PC. I can climb hills in ways I can't at lower settings, quicker off the mark too from still. You can wave and turn more effectively making it easier to get around obstacles, dodge AT rounds etc. But you pay for it with less accuracy until your brain gets around it.
  • IIMechatronikII
    229 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2019
    It is some kind of cheat??

Can someone write how damage change for AP rounds to other tanks after this patch??

Panzer 38T still alive. Fighting with tanks is more easier with AP rounds. Bad sides: Less kills. I will never get 60 kill streak :(
  • Pro_b0
    82 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    This is a nonsensical change. So as it stands I cannot even scratch a staghound with the whirlwind, but I could do so even with a Frag Grenade?

It makes for very poor gameplay when you meet another vehicle, that just cannot hurt with a weapon that clearly and intuitively effective against such a target. It breaks the immersion firing explosive shells at light tank and it not doing any damage, while any other explosive in the game can hurt it.

I have a hard time understanding how you guys thought putting such an extreme change into the game without prior testing was a reasonable approach. Why don’t you “shake things up” in a test environment before making a vehicle almost unusable for a couple of weeks.

I am not disputing at all that the 20mm cannons were too strong btw. But this solution is simply not good enough. I am sure you guys can come up with a better, more balanced change if you but your mind to it for longer than five minutes. It is your job after all.
  • rainkloud
    592 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    F8RGE wrote: »
    What you're likely seeing is that 20mm HE is now unable to hurt tanks and AA can hurt medium tanks but only at the right angles.

Bolded part doesn't appear to be happening for me and colleagues. Anyone heard/seen otherwise?

• narnold700
    282 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I purposely avoided playing the light tanks since the patch. I mean I just don't see the point to them now if you are totally helpless against other tanks when using 20mm. Sure they were OP before, but making them do 0 damage to tanks wasn't the way to go. Thankfully the other tanks in the game now feel right even though I still think Heavy AFVs should have been reworked as squad callins while leaving light and medium AFVs as spawn assets. I'm still holding out hope for new squad call in AFVs Jadtiger or Jadpather would be nice for the role.