Undocumented Tank Changes

Comments

• WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    rainkloud wrote: »
    F8RGE wrote: »
    What you're likely seeing is that 20mm HE is now unable to hurt tanks and AA can hurt medium tanks but only at the right angles.

Bolded part doesn't appear to be happening for me and colleagues. Anyone heard/seen otherwise?

+1 tests are showing AA can’t hurt medium tanks at any angle.
  • MBT_Layzan
    2462 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm still using the 38t, but maybe I'm missing out on the big tanks now?

But I've been taking them out with the 38t using superior positioning and mobility. The big tanks just seem to slow and lumbering, I see them pop so often due to being overwhelmed despite the increases.

• Skepticus66
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    So....don't take on heavy tanks when armed with 20mm? I don't see the issue here.
  • Skepticus66
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Looks like this one missed the patch notes, sorry about that. To confirm, this is an intentional change.

What you're likely seeing is that 20mm HE is now unable to hurt tanks and AA can hurt medium tanks but only at the right angles.

We know that 20mm and AA were pretty dominant before hand and we wanted to shake things up. It could have been that we've gone too far with this change, but in that case we'll be watching your feedback and willing to act accordingly.

It should be this way.

You really think 20mm shouldn’t be able to hurt other light tanks or mediums from rear/ sides?

Also consider the Pz. 38t doesn’t have AP in the upgrade tree for its autocannons.

Nope. Tanks were impervious to any real damage form 20mm HE rounds. Maybe damage an antenna or a vision port, but certainly not able to penetrate any armor. The 20mm was intended for infantry support, even though it violated the Geneva Convention, aircraft, soft targets (trucks and vehicles) and lightly armored vehicles like half tracks.

The 20mm was completely overpowered against tanks. Change your friggen play style. The Pz38 still wrecks infantry, just avoid tanks unless you are sporting an AT gun.
  • Skepticus66
    MBT_Layzan wrote: »
    I'm still using the 38t, but maybe I'm missing out on the big tanks now?

But I've been taking them out with the 38t using superior positioning and mobility. The big tanks just seem to slow and lumbering, I see them pop so often due to being overwhelmed despite the increases.

Players were taking them out with a large DPS output and blinding the target with explosions with 20mm. Now they actually have to take the AT gun option to engage tanks and easy mode has been turned off.
  • WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Looks like this one missed the patch notes, sorry about that. To confirm, this is an intentional change.

We know that 20mm and AA were pretty dominant before hand and we wanted to shake things up. It could have been that we've gone too far with this change, but in that case we'll be watching your feedback and willing to act accordingly.

It should be this way.

You really think 20mm shouldn’t be able to hurt other light tanks or mediums from rear/ sides?

Also consider the Pz. 38t doesn’t have AP in the upgrade tree for its autocannons.

Nope. Tanks were impervious to any real damage form 20mm HE rounds. Maybe damage an antenna or a vision port, but certainly not able to penetrate any armor. The 20mm was intended for infantry support, even though it violated the Geneva Convention, aircraft, soft targets (trucks and vehicles) and lightly armored vehicles like half tracks.

The 20mm was completely overpowered against tanks. Change your friggen play style. The Pz38 still wrecks infantry, just avoid tanks unless you are sporting an AT gun.

This isn't real life, or War Thunder, I recognise Sprgr. HEFI only has 2mm penetration IRL, but HVAP or API have 60+ or 30+ mm penetration. But if it's realism you're after then sure, I would love if I could actually choose my ammo belts and have HVAP! The Wirbelwind would shred. Anyway, my point was that we can't use AP in the upgrade tree.

As for the auto cannons being OP, against infantry I'd argue no way, against tanks only if the enemy tanker is clueless. The Light tanks all have 1.67 multipliers on their turrets from any angle. Also the tracks frontally have the same multiplier, as do the sides and rear. I very rarely died in medium or heavy tanks to people with auto cannons, I made them regret their overconfidence pretty quick.

What was OP was the Stag's AP rounds frontally vs the Tiger's tracks frontally. This isn't because the auto cannon was OP, this was because of the broken damage model with the frontal section of the track wheels counting as side armour.

As for changing my play style, I use the medium tanks manly. I think I have almost 20k tank kills, so I am confident I know what I'm doing.
  • IIMechatronikII
    229 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

It should be this way.

This isn't real life, or War Thunder, I recognise Sprgr. HEFI only has 2mm penetration IRL, but HVAP or API have 60+ or 30+ mm penetration. But if it's realism you're after then sure, I would love if I could actually choose my ammo belts and have HVAP! The Wirbelwind would shred. Anyway, my point was that we can't use AP in the upgrade tree.

As for the auto cannons being OP, against infantry I'd argue no way, against tanks only if the enemy tanker is clueless. The Light tanks all have 1.67 multipliers on their turrets from any angle. Also the tracks frontally have the same multiplier, as do the sides and rear. I very rarely died in medium or heavy tanks to people with auto cannons, I made them regret their overconfidence pretty quick.

What was OP was the Stag's AP rounds frontally vs the Tiger's tracks frontally. This isn't because the auto cannon was OP, this was because of the broken damage model with the frontal section of the track wheels counting as side armour.

As for changing my play style, I use the medium tanks manly. I think I have almost 20k tank kills, so I am confident I know what I'm doing.

Skepticus66 don't know what he is writing. Now in Panzer 38T is easier to take enemy tanks. I will even say ''easy mode" I will not change Panzer 38T. It's a best tank. I grind almost 10k kills.
    I can still kill Tiger using Staghound. But I need to be more careful than previously. Now the real deal is Assaults. In this week TOW there are much more.

What is your spec for Valantine and Panzer 4? On Panzer 4 I have all on left. Valantine-> Left, Middle, Left, Left.
  • MBT_Layzan
    2462 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

It should be this way.

Skepticus66 don't know what he is writing. Now in Panzer 38T is easier to take enemy tanks. I will even say ''easy mode" I will not change Panzer 38T. It's a best tank. I grind almost 10k kills.
    I can still kill Tiger using Staghound. But I need to be more careful than previously. Now the real deal is Assaults. In this week TOW there are much more.

What is your spec for Valantine and Panzer 4? On Panzer 4 I have all on left. Valantine-> Left, Middle, Left, Left.

So are you saying now the 38t is easy mode after the patch?

I've stuck with it, but I like mobility.
  • IIMechatronikII
    229 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

So are you saying now the 38t is easy mode after the patch?

I've stuck with it, but I like mobility. [/quote]

Depends on map. On Panzerstorm better choice will be Pazner 4. For me it’s easier.

Now I have much more chance against enemy tanks than when I had auto-cannon. Killing big tank requires 10? AP rounds. Valantine need 4-5. Depends of angle.
    Valantine with AP can hit for 66 (and disable) or even more when you have bad luck.

• Skepticus66
    edited February 2019

It should be this way.

Don't go down the, this isn't realism path. It's based on WWII, Not pink unicorns shooting rainbow farts in lollipop land. Change your friggin play style. I'm sorry easy mode was turned off for you. There is an path for AT on the Pz38, just not with the auto cannon. The 37mm with APCR is quite effective and has a high rate of fire. Sorry the made you chose. It was FAR too easy to blind and plink the enemy to death before.
  • MBT_Layzan

It should be this way.

Don't go down the, this isn't realism path. It's based on WWII, Not pink unicorns shooting rainbow farts in lollipop land. Change your friggin play style. I'm sorry easy mode was turned off for you. There is an path for AT on the Pz38, just not with the auto cannon. The 37mm with APCR is quite effective and has a high rate of fire. Sorry the made you chose. It was FAR too easy to blind and plink the enemy to death before.

Was the auto cannon really easy mode? I used it and went back to the AP route weeks before the patch. The splash was alright, but it kinda sucked for infantry at certain angles, I preferred the MG more often than not followed by a round from my main. Aerodrome was a good map for the auto cannon but maps like panzerstorm it just advertised my location too much against planes etc. Maybe it's just me, I used smoke after spotting the enemy tank, and the auto cannon showed my location too easy, where a quick main AP round was harder to isolated my location.

Also I think the auto cannon should do some damage to tanks dependent on if they are light,med,heavy. Doing 0, that's not right in my opinion.
  • MBT_Layzan
    In regards to easy mode, the Val for example can pretty much OHK infantry now and rip tanks a new one after the patch, I find this way more powerful than a 38t with it's pre patch auto cannon.
  • WinterWarhurst

It should be this way.

What is with all this wanton vitriol from you?

In my original post that you were responding to I wasn't even complaining about HE not doing damage to tanks, I was stating that there is no option to equip the KwK 38 L/55 auto cannon with AP rounds, whereas there is the option for the Staghound. In other posts I even suggested that they should place the AP in the middle of the upgrade trees so it is accessible to 20mm & 37mm options. Again, if realism is important to you, you should agree with me, as the KwK 38 L/55 auto cannon can use HEFI-T (HE with only 2mm penetration) but also PzGr. HVAP/ API-T rounds (with over 60mm penetration but no HE filler). I was quite clear about this my post.

Why do you keep telling me to change my play style? I already told you I use medium tanks... I don't even use the Pz. 38t with auto cannons, I have mine setup with the 37mm and AP already.

Regarding "easy mode", light tanks with auto-cannons weren't necessarily "easy mode" before the patch against competitive and competent players. In medium and heavy tanks I was shredding light tanks equipped with auto cannons consistently, because if you know where to aim (I already explained the precise x1.67 damage multipliers in my previous post which can be achieved from any angle however shallow), and you angled your armour or were hull down, it was very easy to defeat light tanks.

Either read what people are actually saying and constructively respond with relevant arguments, or go elsewhere. Thank you.
  • WinterWarhurst

It should be this way.

I think he must have mis-read my post, then consequent response.

I would recommend the 6-pounder for the Valentine with extra ammo racks, upgraded loading mechanism and APCR. For the Pz. IV either far left or far right trees are great, however I prefer the increased velocity of the KwK (Pak) 40 upgrade, and AP round with the new buff.

These cannons are basically one hit kill within just under a 1.5m radius. If you keep this in mind, and have decent aim, you should do great with it.

I do like the spotting flare for the Pz. IV but you forego smoke, so really it's up to you. Adapt your play style accordingly.

I am not sure if the extra OHK splash radius on the stock Pz. IV cannon makes up for its lower velocity, you will want to experiment for yourself. I am a sucker for looks, and I love the side skirts on the Pz. IV (a tank I find quite ugly otherwise).

The AP round on both tanks is excellent, especially if you know where to aim for maximum damage multipliers.
  • WinterWarhurst
    MBT_Layzan wrote: »
    In regards to easy mode, the Val for example can pretty much OHK infantry now and rip tanks a new one after the patch, I find this way more powerful than a 38t with it's pre patch auto cannon.

6-pounder and KwK/ Pak 40 both OHK infy within about a 1.5m radius (112 within 1.3m). I'm loving these.
  • MBT_Layzan

It should be this way.

What is with all this wanton vitriol from you?

In my original post that you were responding to I wasn't even complaining about HE not doing damage to tanks, I was stating that there is no option to equip the KwK 38 L/55 auto cannon with AP rounds, whereas there is the option for the Staghound. In other posts I even suggested that they should place the AP in the middle of the upgrade trees so it is accessible to 20mm & 37mm options. Again, if realism is important to you, you should agree with me, as the KwK 38 L/55 auto cannon can use HEFI-T (HE with only 2mm penetration) but also PzGr. HVAP/ API-T rounds (with over 60mm penetration but no HE filler). I was quite clear about this my post.

Why do you keep telling me to change my play style? I already told you I use medium tanks... I don't even use the Pz. 38t with auto cannons, I have mine setup with the 37mm and AP already.

Regarding "easy mode", light tanks with auto-cannons weren't necessarily "easy mode" before the patch against competitive and competent players. In medium and heavy tanks I was shredding light tanks equipped with auto cannons consistently, because if you know where to aim (I already explained the precise x1.67 damage multipliers in my previous post which can be achieved from any angle however shallow), and you angled your armour or were hull down, it was very easy to defeat light tanks.

Either read what people are actually saying and constructively respond with relevant arguments, or go elsewhere. Thank you.

One thing I've learn't I BFV, WinterWarhurst is a tanker who isn't looking for an easy mode. The guys is giving numbers when others give opinions.
  • friendlyscope
    76 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    My favorite tank load-out is now completely useless against heavy tanks.

Not happy at all with this patch.

And you really have a decency to actually proclaim something like this ?!?!? "Your favorite tank load-out" in regard "against Heavy tanks" was a BUG! ..a glitch, a damn exploit that almost made me quit this game completely !

This patch was a last min. saving grace for this game and it's vehicle play ...

THANK you Dice !
  • MBT_Layzan
    I hardly see the autocannon in matches now, and really feel for the sorry folk who use it on my 38t doing 0 damage. I don't think they understand, and well... die...
  • IIMechatronikII
    edited February 2019
    Have you guys an issue when you hit tank and there was no damage? AP bullets or normal Panzer 38t. I shot and there was nothing. Empty. No don’t miss. I can shot.
    For me it’s unplayable.

Next bug. Stat tracker is broken. I have only ~70? kills in Staghound but I have many,many more.
    Post edited by IIMechatronikII on
  • WinterWarhurst
    Have you guys an issue when you hit tank and there was no damage? AP bullets or normal Panzer 38t. I shot and there was nothing. Empty. No don’t miss. I can shot.
    For me it’s unplayable.

Next bug. Stat tracker is broken. I have only ~70? kills in Staghound but I have many,many more.

Stat tracker shows me 300 kills in Stag but I’m sure I have a lot more than that.

I have an issue with hit registration sometimes, also if they jump out you’ll get no hit registration (unless you get a glancing blow for some strange reason). Apparently there’s an exploit where people wiggle side to side and it makes tank rounds go straight thru, but IDK.