Can we please address the Origin download/install for PC?

5hadyBrady
307 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited February 14
I have nightmares about Battlefield updates since the second DLC for BF1. For some reason Origin insists on doing a 20gb system prepare before it even starts downloading files. This usually takes about 15 to 20 minutes to complete , and it doesn't matter if my game is on an SSD or an HDD. After it does a 15 to 20 minute preparation, only then does it start downloading the update. This could be a 10gb update. Now I normally download files around 25MB/S, which would mean I should be able to download the update in under a minute. However, Origin for whatever reason caps my bandwidth at around 250kbs. Which means this 10gb download could take hours. This is not normal. I have never witnessed this problem with any other game in my entire life. Sell the game to Steam if you can't figure Origin out. To expect users to navigate something like this is half of the reason nobody shows up to buy the game. I don't even want to update the game because it's a multiple hour ordeal, when everybody in the United States (or everywhere else presumably) should be able to download and install these game files in a matter of minutes.

Comments

• OverdosedAgain
    81 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have had download speed issues for a long time. Support was of no help at all and told me to put Origin into developer mode which did nothing. I have 100mbps internet but downloads for games/updates usually cap out at 5mbps. I would think they would be using CDN for this, not sure if they are.
  • 5hadyBrady
    307 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 14
    I have had download speed issues for a long time. Support was of no help at all and told me to put Origin into developer mode which did nothing. I have 100mbps internet but downloads for games/updates usually cap out at 5mbps. I would think they would be using CDN for this, not sure if they are.

I too have had download issues for a long time. A mod on the forum has commented on a thread a long time ago and told me he was 'looking into it', but it's still a problem. All users seem to report a % of bandwidth. They don't all seem to be downloading at the same speed, even if users have the bandwidth for it. It seems like it's only using a % of your bandwidth to download the files , almost like it's some kind of feature to make downloads less annoying while people are using their computers for other things. I think Microsoft does this with their updates.
  • TFBisquit
    795 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This time I got 30MB/s download speed which is good. But the preparation took a long time yeah.
    However, 25MB/s x 60s = roughly 1,5GB per minute. So this patch should take approx. 5 minutes with those speeds.
  • 5hadyBrady
    TFBisquit wrote: »
    This time I got 30MB/s download speed which is good. But the preparation took a long time yeah.
    However, 25MB/s x 60s = roughly 1,5GB per minute. So this patch should take approx. 5 minutes with those speeds.

Yeah, it takes about 15 minutes to prepare (I'm being conservative), then it takes about an hour to download and install, and then another 20 minutes to finalize. It's absolutely insane. I can re-download and install GTAV completely faster than that.