Tanking Etiquette Guide (Please read, dear tankers)

M_Rat13
449 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited February 16
I have 'finally' completed the last assignment for the Stug IV. I'd say it takes around 4 hours, which isn't that long, but jeez was it frustrating. This is where this guide to tankers come in. See, when you can't get a vehicle, most of the time you have to rely on tankers to give you a good gunner position to use to complete this task. You can probably guess what happens (or has happened to you).

Anyway, on to the guide:

Rule 1 - Tank selection.
If you want to provide gunner seats for team mates, pick either a TD or a Heavy tank. Why? Becuase they come with a nice safe hull machine gun, or in the new Stug's case (if you have one), a radio controlled MG (a turreted MG you can use while in the tank). This is important becuase I lost count how many times I got shot off the standard top mounted MG, it's a death trap. Yes, you can duck, but that means you can't fire back, nullifying the use of that position. I'd also not recommended the light tanks, becuase they are simply too fragile and get killed easily, when spotted. Yes, unspotted, they are great, but so is every tank, and remaning unseen is best left to professional tankers, as in not the people this guide is aimed at.

Note: If you do wish to be a selfish player (personally I have no problem with this), I'd recommend the AA tanks, as it is a great way to show players what type of a player you are.

Rule 2 - Stay at the correct distance for enemies.
I'd recommend, after selecting the correct tank, to stay between 50-100m away from enemies. Why? Becuase you are far enough away to not be flanked (as hopefully your infantry have their attention), but also this is generally the most effective range of your weapons. Any further, and most times you can likely miss, or your gunners can't hit anything, rendering them useless, and that isn't fair to them. You want as much firepower used as you have access to as well, making you that much deadlier.

Rule 3 - Support your infantry.
Tied to Rule 2, you want to make sure you are supporting an infantry push. Why? Well, not only is your firepower helpful to them, they also distract those Assualt players who would otherwise try to flank you. They may also assists you if you get swarmed, which you'll really like. Plus, working as a team always wins matches, and that's what you want, isn't it?

Rule 4 - Try your best to keep your front to the enemy.
Now, this isn't always possible, as your tank, especially as it should hopefully by a TD or Heavy tank, can be flanked, sometimes no hard you try, becuase that day is just one of those days. However, you should at least try. Not just becuase your frontal armour is your best armour, or that a TD's gun faces forward, but becuase as a Heavy tank, turning the hull and turret together can bring your gun around faster, and also your hull machine gun is mounted their, and you want to bring them to the action too, for their extra firepower, right?

Rule 5 - Never abandon your tank (one exception).
This just hands the tank to the enemy. Every. Single. Time. Go down with your ship. It is also your gunners role to get out and either help fix you, or repair/build tank supply station. Only if you have no gunners (or effectively no gunners) and you need that tank supply station, can you get out, but beware of enemies and hop straight back in if you see them. A dead tank is better than an extra enemy tank.

Rule 6 - Never abandon your gunners.
If a gunner is repairing you, don't run away from them, even under attack. They'll keep your health pool up. Only run if they die, or they hop back in. Gunners are your best friend, treat them as such.

Note: These are rules I just thought of off the top of my head. If you have any more rules you'd like to suggest, feel free to mention them in the comments, and I'll make an edit adding them to the list. Hopefully, we can improve the experience of being a gunner of a tank together. I'll also make a gunner guide if I get enough requests.

Comments

• Marine_IraHayes2
    140 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    Well I’m a lone wolf. When I’m on Allies side I like to use the Valentine MK VIII for my own reasons. If someone doesn’t want to get shot up top then they should exit stage left.
    I don’t mind etiquette or unwritten rules but I’m not not going to pick a tank because I’m afraid my squad mate will not have a place to stay safe. He has to make that choice. Honestly they should just remove the MG from the Valentine. It will save noobs from a lot of hard ache. Obviously anyone with a little playing time under their belt isn’t jumping up there anyway.
  • M_Rat13
    449 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Well I’m a lone wolf. When I’m on Allies side I like to use the Valentine MK VIII for my own reasons. If someone doesn’t want to get shot up top then they should exit stage left.
    I don’t mind etiquette or unwritten rules but I’m not not going to pick a tank because I’m afraid my squad mate will not have a place to stay safe. He has to make that choice. Honestly they should just remove the MG from the Valentine. It will save noobs from a lot of hard ache. Obviously anyone with a little playing time under their belt isn’t jumping up there anyway.

I can't force people to play a certain way, but this is more to get at least a few people to help out poor gunners. Gunners have to rely on the thoughtfulness of tankers to get the last assignment done.

It would probably also help though if medium tanks also had hull gunner positions, I think there was even a specialization for it at some point.
  • zterrans
    122 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    M_Rat13 wrote: »
    Note: If you do wish to be a selfish player (personally I have no problem with this), I'd recommend the AA tanks, as it is a great way to show players what type of a player you are.

This just hands the tank to the enemy. Every. Single. Time. Go down with your ship. It is also your gunners role to get out and either help fix you, or repair/build tank supply station. Only if you have no gunners (or effectively no gunners) and you need that tank supply station, can you get out, but beware of enemies and hop straight back in if you see them. A dead tank is better than an extra enemy tank.

For the love of god, this rule cannot be stated enough. Seriously, NEVER abandon a tank around the enemy. I have seen far too many instances of German forces running around in British tanks because tankers bail on the first shot. I even went on a tear once because someone wanted to save their KDR and bailed on a Staghound (first kill was the retreating driver, so he failed on that regard).

Its always been a bit of a Battlefield problem, but tankers must go down with their tanks.
  • M_Rat13
    zterrans wrote: »
    M_Rat13 wrote: »

For the love of god, this rule cannot be stated enough. Seriously, NEVER abandon a tank around the enemy. I have seen far too many instances of German forces running around in British tanks because tankers bail on the first shot. I even went on a tear once because someone wanted to save their KDR and bailed on a Staghound (first kill was the retreating driver, so he failed on that regard).

Its always been a bit of a Battlefield problem, but tankers must go down with their tanks.

It was probably less of a 'problem' in BF1942. Did someone bail out? Or did the enemy just sneak into your base to steal one? I know I did the latter plenty of times to get a Tiger tank.
  • Dr_X2345
    749 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I agree with the not abandoning your tank thing - although I did once watch my squadmate stop it near an ammo station, put two mines next to it then resupply and place another three down, then move the tank over the mines. An enemy got in, triggered the mines - dead. But not a very reliable tactic. I've been on a team on Panzerstorm where we had literally every tank available - including the German ones, because their tankers kept getting hit by one Panzerfaust or something and ditching, allowing us to have something like 10 tanks (is the limit 5 per team? Or am I making that up? It was more or less the max amount of tanks on the map at one time).