What is a "good" latency? And why is mine so high?

Frost066
0 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
So I'm just trying to figure out what is a good latency. I thought mine was fine, I run at around 60-70, but someone in another forum said that its way too high. I've run a speed test and I'm running at 120+Mbps down and 15+Mbps down. My NAT is open and all the ports have been forwarded in my router.

Comments

• full951
    2215 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    "good" is like 20 and under. you are in the upper range of barely acceptable.

over 100 should be auto kicked but for some reason in 2019 over 200 is allowed
  • TectonicGuns
    272 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I've been playing at 75-85. And if the DICE server is stable and my IP is providing stable-ping/connection and the Microsoft domain is all good, I can compete with 50 or even a 20 player pings and occasionally top the scoreboard. However, if something is not quite right with the server or IP or MS, then I start losing one-on-one gun fights even with the initiative, die behind cover..etc. I have played away from home at 40 ping (half usual) and although I did notice an improvement is was more subtle than I would have thought.

So I would say:

Terrible: 200+ too many issues in a game- game is barely playable, hard to be competitive
    Poor: 90-100+ lots of issues in a game- game is commonly frustrating.
    Okay: 80-90 reoccurring Intermittent issues in a game- game can be frustrating at times
    Good: 70-80 some intermittent issues in a game- game is playable and mostly fun.
    Very Good: 50-70 some issues per game- game is usually fun for the whole match
    Great: 40-50 few issues per game- game is almost always fun for the whole match
    Exceptional: 40- rare issues per game- game is fun for the whole match

But the stability of your ping (and other stuff) affects game play as well as the value... but keeping it simple...

• CosmicStriker
    688 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    your latency is not about how fast you can download , its about how far away you are from a server how many hops or routing connectings you are away, and how much time that takes for those connections , the farther away and more hops the longer it takes and the higher the latency .
    run a latency test , then try to use only game servers in your region.
    http://www.azurespeed.com/
  • full951
    2215 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    compare your score to the consoles ping test too.