Tide Of War - When Joy is Replaced with FRUSTRATION

GirlMisfit
109 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
I am a casual gamer. My eyesight isn't what it used to be and nor are my reflexes. I have toddlers which limits my game play to after they get to bed. I'm lucky if I can get 1 hour per weeknight and 2 hours per weekend night to play on my Xbox. Out of all the games I could be buying an investing in, I picked Battlefield 5 thinking it would be a continuation of Battlefield 1 fun.

The Tides of War assignments are a problem for us older casual gamers. I do truely appreciate the new content and unique assignment but this week expiration is such a burden. I was focused and played alone Thursday and unlocked the first few bubbles of repair and build. Then I hit a brick wall. It took me 3 hours Friday to just get the center bubble completed. I am now stuck on the Armored Fist with limited time to try and unlock it.

I spent Sunday reading posts on the best way to unlock it and I started to do the suggestion which helped. I got 25% of the final bubble filled, but I worry I wont get the rest completed by Wednesday.

I gave up the squad games I enjoy in exchange for frustration to unlock content with an excessive short window to obtain.

Having a short time table forces players like me to grind which isn't that enjoyable and it motivates players to ignore the parts of the game they find Joy in to grind out and struggle with frustration.

Comments

• superteds
    1187 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 18
    just buy the guns/vehicles with cc then.

ed - and if you want to do this fast, get onto aerodrome as attackers on breakthrough. spawn an AA tank with canister shells and you'll get it done in two rounds max.
  • TEKNOCODE
    11165 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 18
    I play for two to three hours per weekend afternoon as wel. As superteds suggest, unlock the tow weapons with cc (1,700cc per weapon). That’s what I do.
  • GirlMisfit
    I spent 2 hours Saturday night on Panzerstorm trying to unlock armored fist and none of my kills were registering. Sunday I saw suggestions other made so I tried them. I think I got 8 or so kills doing it via breakthrough by jumping into people's tanks and being their gunner.

I should join the other frustrated players and just buy the new tank since it's only 1,700cc and would allow us to get back to the gameplay we enjoy.
  • ElliotLH
    8653 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    If you have some CC built up then you could just buy the ToW rewards after the event. I think you'll still manage to get the remainder of your kills to complete this one in time but if you do miss out on the free unlock then at least you have something to fall back on if you really want the tank.

You don't mention what game mode you've been trying to complete this on but attacking on Breakthrough is probably best for this (you can switch teams on Xbox too if you get loaded as defenders but there's some space left on the other side) as the defenders are usually on the flags so you can pick them off from outside the capture area. I did mine attacking the bridge on the second sector of Twisted Steel and while it took two tanks to get the job done (I went for a suicide tactic) it meant that I was able to do the final kills in a round so I could get back to having fun.
  • Sixclicks
    5075 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I just buy the guns when I don't feel like doing whatever the TOW assignments are or if they take too much effort in something that I don't enjoy doing.
  • GirlMisfit
    Last night I spent my alloted Xbox time on trying to complete the armored fist. I went into it excited because on Sunday I spawned into Arodome on my first try and was able to sit in several tanks as a gunner. Someone on my squad was also nice enough to call in reinforcements that helped me. That was Sunday, last night was horrible.

I spent 15 minutes just trying to join a game that would put me as an attacker on Aerodome. I eventually played out the last 15 minutes of a game on Narvik as a defender. Then I got loaded into Aerodome as an attacker, got a tank but it defaulted to the valentine and not the churchhill. I moved to the top of the hill and shot everything at the defenders. I was getting hits but no kills. I took out all the fortifications and got hits, but not one single kill. The team I was on rushed the objectives and both flags were ours in minutes from the start of the game. It was like the no enemies were in the objective because they were all trying to attack rather than defend like I was doing. After another hour of frustration I had no further progress on this difficult task. All of my game time has been spent in efforts to unlock this tank and all I experienced was frustration and death. This has taken all of the joy out of the game for me. Maybe a break is needed from this game.
  • ElliotLH
    8653 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Maybe a break is needed from this game.

That honestly couldn't hurt, especially if you're finding that trying for the assignment has sapping the fun out of the game for the time being.
  • ghos7bear
    145 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Easy mode: Pick halftrack, drive near enemy objective, get on 3rd seat, front gunner (the one that shoots from inside), shoot infantry. You'll have enough kills in just a few games.
  • GirlMisfit
    Eliot - I think I am going to stop working on the TOW assignments and just buy the stuff. This assignement was just so far a waste of time. It would have been easier to just grind the company coin and buyt the tank.

ghos7bear - I did that as much as I could. There is always a halftrack in Panzerstorm to take. The problem became trying to find a caputured flag with defenders. Players tend to capture a flag and move on to the next one. Not to mention, then I would have strangers in my squad spawn on me and move my half track. I appreciate the suggestion though.
  • biketankbob
    85 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    They just reduced to number of kills to 5 to complete the assignment
  • GirlMisfit
    They just reduced to number of kills to 5 to complete the assignment

I saw that. I think I might have 5. When is ironic is I got all 5 of them at the same time. I just got lucky and spawned into Aerodome in breakthrough on an attacking team with lots of tanks. I haven't been able to get anymore since Sunday. Hopefully this headache is over soon.

I learned a valueable lesson. It's better to grind company coin and buy the assignement weapon than doing the actual assignment.

By the way bob.....based on your name do you own a motorcycle and a tank? I sold my bike to buy my first tank.