Can we finally admit attrition was a terrible addition to battlefield?

Comments

• fakemon64
    895 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ wrote: »
    Yesterday me and my mate ran around for solid five minutes both at 40% health or something, because there was no way we could have had access to a medic or a crate. Mind you, the reason we were at that low health was because snipers took a shot at us from 200m away. Naturally we could not really engage the enemy with that kind of health either.

if only medic was more popular am i right?

Tbh, i think squad revive killed medic. I used to love playing medic for my squad but now it seems slightly obsolete and so now i pretty much only play support.
  • disposalist
    8296 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    day old big Mac>BF1. @disposalist
    How dare you besmirch either Big Mac *or* BF1! Day Old Big Mac > BF1 > BF5.
  • Pelliy
    1993 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Can't take you seriously when you don't like BF1. It's an awesome game. Best in the series.

BF4 was also brilliant at the time. Ok, not much better than BF3, design-wise, but eventually an improvement.

Are you referring to me? When did I say I didn't like bf1? I still play bf1. I have some issues with the game but where did I say I didn't like it (if your referring to me)
  • aseveredfoot
    2431 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Attrition in the beta: good because it was VERY impactful. It reminded me of older titles where you had to think tactically and carefully based on health and ammo. It was more than just running around shooting people.

Attrition as it is in retail: terrible. It sets the game somewhere between tactical and spammy in a way that's just frustrating. Ammo is barely ever in short supply, but health is. Pretty in-fun imo.

But that one's not on dice. It was the content creators, followed by a sycophant fan base that all but got it removed.
  • bran1986
    5299 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    fakemon64 wrote: »
    Yesterday me and my mate ran around for solid five minutes both at 40% health or something, because there was no way we could have had access to a medic or a crate. Mind you, the reason we were at that low health was because snipers took a shot at us from 200m away. Naturally we could not really engage the enemy with that kind of health either.

Tbh, i think squad revive killed medic. I used to love playing medic for my squad but now it seems slightly obsolete and so now i pretty much only play support.

Awful weapons, squad revives, OP assault class, and all the healing stations killed off medics.
  • AssassinoX1
    232 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Medics killed off...? Oy, what platform you guys on? Plenty of medics on xbox however the real issue is, how many of them ignore revives or don't notice it on their screens.
  • Kayback
    367 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Medics killed off...? Oy, what platform you guys on? Plenty of medics on xbox however the real issue is, how many of them ignore revives or don't notice it on their screens.

I don't play Medic much because of the poor weapons and the long revive. If I'm happy with a long revive I'll play another class and squad revive. I understand the reason for the non instant revive like other games but it is still not *that* much of an advantage to only be slightly quicker than a squad revive. Especially if I have more chance of securing the area to revive you with Assault or Support.

If it had another advantage like being able to revive prone or something but with the TTK it is still too long to revive even with smoke.
  • StreliziaDeWitt
    160 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    What attrition?
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    461 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

we play on PC and at best you get about 5-10% usage outside devestation there it can maybe go up to 15% but mostly there are almost no to speak off
  • Draccon149
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Get rid of attrition IMO. For tanks it really blows to have to travel for 2-3mins to get to a tank station and back into the action. For people who can stay alive and not die every two seconds it really hinders also.

In the end i mostly play support now as a few LMG's are pretty much the same as AR's and perform on par. So i never have to worry about ammo so i avoid attrition all together. But attrition is the biggest reason i play support now.
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    461 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Draccon149 wrote: »
    Get rid of attrition IMO. For tanks it really blows to have to travel for 2-3mins to get to a tank station and back into the action. For people who can stay alive and not die every two seconds it really hinders also.

In the end i mostly play support now as a few LMG's are pretty much the same as AR's and perform on par. So i never have to worry about ammo so i avoid attrition all together. But attrition is the biggest reason i play support now.

if the attrition were like back in the alpha we'dactually need to play as a squad to get anything done and assault would not be nearly as popular. then there would be a real reason to have a well paced and diverse squad now its just an annoying mechanic they cant go back on because its too deeply encoded into the game.
  • AssassinoX1
    232 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

we play on PC and at best you get about 5-10% usage outside devestation there it can maybe go up to 15% but mostly there are almost no to speak off

That sucks, had a feeling at least someone was on PC. Weeks ago I remember reading a similar issue with the player community on PC.

Also, The speed of the medic revive in my experience is invaluable. That instant gives enough time even in some heated firefights to get someone up and run for cover, especially with smoke. Likewise when facing the enemy at range some medics manage to revive before I can finish them off because it's so quick or because I'm rushing my shots to get them before they do making me miss even more. When it's a squadmate they are just sitting ducks and I have all the time in the world to shoot them dead.
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    sure the revive is faster but this 1.5 second revive with a TTK in the 500ms area is just stupid if you see smoke players just start to shoot in it hunting for hitmarkers as fast as they can since the medic in said smoke is a free kill with the possibility of a 2nd freebie right after.
    medic needs some proper mid-range weapons. i.E M1A1 and gewehr 1-5. to make it easy on assault 3x can still be disabled so you dont **** your pampers. in return assault could get the STEN and MP40, even thou all ARs are objectively better but then you can maybe start to get an idea of why SMGs are so underwhelming in BFV
  • trip1ex
    4311 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited February 27
    i don't think it added anything. It just annoyed more than anything. It is tedious to top off when you spawn in every time.

Then you got the whole run over dead bodies to pick up bullets but pick up the kit to get the kit but the kit isn't the kit like before. it's a partial kit or something.

To me, why fix it when it wasn't broke. Bf42 dealt with it better. it wasn't annoying. You started with your full complement of ammo. But if you changed clips then you lost whatever bullets you had left. IF you ran out then you went to an ammo box or picked up a kit. No one passed out ammo. Ammo boxes were scattered across maps and fairly numerous. PIcking up kits was a great mechanic. BFV got rid of that for no reason I can see. Why reinvent the wheel with some fuzzy new system with an extra step or two that overall doesn't accomplish anything better.

The limited ammo for vehicles seemed better too in BF42. you got reps and ammo by sitting on vehicle repair stations but they were pretty few in number and were indestructible and didn't need to be built. You also got resupplied by halftracks. But you started with a decent amt of ammo in the first place.

Then as for health attrition. I think the whole med pack thing is just annoying. Again top off when you spawn in although maybe they changed that part. I'm out of touch with it now. partial health regen that only heals so much. you can carry 1 pack and use it in emergency. The whole thing has too many steps and is too muddled. BF42 just had a health bar. If it went to 0 you were dead. The only time you could reheal is find a medical cabinet or have a medic actively heal you. (Oh and you could get into a halftrack to heal!) MOre vehicle gameplay synergies and reason to use the halftrack. Now the system feels like a bit of a mess for no reason. To me get rid of health regen. Have just health. Have some stations to get healed at and allow medics to do some form of healing. KISS. Keep it Simple Stupid.

Another thing is health stations in bf42 didn't feel as lame as the ones in BFV. Not exactly sure why. But I think it's because the maps were bigger overall and their placement wasn't as copycat as BFV's placement. And there wasn't the Zerg you have now. You weren't constantly rotating from flag to flag so to get a flag and take a flag over and get healed was a big deal. Or to survive an attack and get healed was a big deal. Their placement was also in bunkers almost entirely or huts and without destruction, these areas were all out of the way. There no accessing these stations easily while participating in firefights. They were generally out of the way. You also had to stand there for some time to get healed.

In BFV it just has a different feels. It's more a tedious thing. LIke they are too accessible.

• HellzWind
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    At least now there are additions of supply stations in game, and you can spawn on squad lead (in tdm), which is awesome and what the game needed I think.

As for the health and ammo 'issue', personally I've always played as Support Class so I never had problems with ammo, but health was always a problem in BF-games. Up until now where at least next to (sometimes) not-supportive team/squad mates I can just attempt to run to a Resupply Station and restock.

Fact that squad mates can also revive next to a medic I find great.
  • alienstout
    679 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    fakemon64 wrote: »

No the craptastic weapons killed the medic class.
  • Vycinas2
    932 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The only thing I like about this attrition is being able to grab ammo pouch off the dead enemy. Its nice to have ammo resupply stations but there are too many of them, I d rather see them go and carry 2 extra clips. Also HP regen should be back like in previous titles but DICE should tweak Assault/Support guns. All this attrition did, it made people camp like it was some pathetic hardcore p00.
  • BiscuitFrenzy
    148 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I very rarely play with friends. Randoms, no mike. People mostly know what they’re doing and if they don’t then shouting at them isn’t going to help. I’m quite happy just quitting and finding another game if its really bad, but mostly I’m focused on the objective or whatever assignment I’m working on anyway. Its what I love about Battlefield, when everyone just knows what to do to complement the team its a beautiful thing.
    Anyway, I don’t mind attrition, its different. Wouldn’t want it to become a standard BF thing but its OK for a bit of variety and an added layer of difficulty. I find it more inconvenient in the tanks though.
  • Luke88gw
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    how attrition was in alpha/beta?