Unfair matchmaking.

2»

Comments

• VincentNZ
    3535 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    bobiak1 wrote: »
    You are right i'm a beginner, and i will always be. I can't understand how can you just let lvl 1 players play together with pro players.
    Imagine in World of Warcraft lvl 120 players could play Battleground with lvl 1 players........
    BF5 my first BF i've ever bought, and ever played, but i'm pretty sure it's the last.
    I already regret for giving money for this garbage.

That is not an optimal example, becaus in BFV everyone starts on equal footing. Your beginner gun is just as good as any other, there is no gear difference. Only your performance matters, not gear.
    I mean you are not a very good player right now, but everyone gets better. Plus, of course, if you made it onto a server, people of every skill level did. So there are many others just like you.
    A deeper matchmaking mechanic like you suggest would be impossible to implement, the matchmaking times would be horrendous and it would not really help anything. You would still be on the same skill level, you just wouldn't know. I would suggest to rid yourself of the competitive mindset, as it will cause you frustration, and simply play for the fun, far away from stats.
  • DrunkOnRedWine
    1641 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 20
    DICE are testing matchmaking tomorrow, hopefully with success! I'm assuming this is related to balancing
  • beat_strandh
    55 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The lack of team balancing is a serious issue. In most games I join now (PS4 Conquest) I see one team cap all flags but the enemy's home flag within the first 5 minutes and go on to win the game by 250 or more tickets to 0.

same here. It is ruining the game for me... before I was frustrated about the bugs but the games were always even. Now this has become my number one frustration. Hope they fix it.
  • STAR_6_G
    34 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I don’t care if we are noobs and low ranks and amount of players vs veterans full on the other side players . Just give me the bf3 knifing animation style and records of all names I knifed and it will be fun again. Let me knife the veterans so I can have a sweet awesome dog tags
  • ragnarok013
    3454 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    For those defending this crapshoot... Bull!!

I’ve seen so many 300,400,500, and even 700-0 games it’s rediculous!!! I’ve been on both sides of those scores and it’s not fun on either. You’re either getting **** which is never any fun or you’re doing the **** and it’s boring.

@MSKelly1976 there are many factors that create such games. I OTOH have been having very close games lately such as my recent games of 5-0, 20-0 etc. I play mainly conquest so maybe your preferred game mode contributes to your blow outs?
  • ragnarok013
    3454 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    @bobiak1 The game matchmakes based upon filling a server, it does not include any sort of SPM, Skill ranking or MMR when it puts you into a server.If you had several games against solid players who have most likely been playing since launch or friends who are in discord together coordinating it was pure coincidence.

No sir, in some cases it isn't coincidence. I'm seeing clans or platoons manipulate the system to get all their friends on one team including members of multiple platoons who are clearly working together as their squads contain members of both groups which probably means they're using the same VOIP service.

The result is a series of lopsided games with many players on the losing side bailing out of the server. IMO this is borderline stat-padding. The obvious solution is scrambling squads between rounds (while keeping squad members together) so the clan players don't own the server for as long as they are there. That DICE either can't figure this out or doesn't care (take your pick) is another sign that BFV is a bit of a bargain-basement project in some respects.

This is a team based objective game so playing with friends and communicating is to be encouraged and is actually the point of the game. I can honestly say as an event admin that it's never been more difficult in a Battlefield title to play with your friends or clan mates and there's nothing that a player can do to manipulate the system other than use the game's systems to pre-make a squad and then communicate the server number to your friends and have them\their squads join the queue in your server for the next game. After that you must pray to the Battlefield Gods that you're on the same team.
  • VincentNZ
    3535 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The lack of team balancing is a serious issue. In most games I join now (PS4 Conquest) I see one team cap all flags but the enemy's home flag within the first 5 minutes and go on to win the game by 250 or more tickets to 0.

same here. It is ruining the game for me... before I was frustrated about the bugs but the games were always even. Now this has become my number one frustration. Hope they fix it.

How to fix it? Population is not at an all-time high and the community is split between three platforms. How is a matchmaking system supposed to work without increasing matchmaking times endlessly?
    And also: A 64 player game with different modes, and combined warfare, what algorithm are you going to use to determine who should play against whom? SPM? K/D? Winrate? Or a mixture of those three? Well good luck on programming that. What about matchmaking in a set party? How is that going to count?
    The best matchmaking system is no system at all, because it ensures everyone gets into games fast, with players of all sorts and skilllevels. If anyone has studied a bit of statistics they will agree that chance offers the best balance.
  • MSKelly1976
    211 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

I’ve seen so many 300,400,500, and even 700-0 games it’s rediculous!!! I’ve been on both sides of those scores and it’s not fun on either. You’re either getting **** which is never any fun or you’re doing the **** and it’s boring.

@MSKelly1976 there are many factors that create such games. I OTOH have been having very close games lately such as my recent games of 5-0, 20-0 etc. I play mainly conquest so maybe your preferred game mode contributes to your blow outs?

I play Conquest exclusively and those are the scores I regularly see. Yes I’ve had a few close games like you describe but they’re few and far between. It’s usually a blowout.
  • WetFishDB
    2088 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I play Conquest exclusively and those are the scores I regularly see. Yes I’ve had a few close games like you describe but they’re few and far between. It’s usually a blowout.

In all honesty, the way that the game has been designed makes it more likely than ever before. I actually called this out during the beta when everyone was going on about how games were close - they were only close because people weren’t really playing properly (just testing stuff out and learning etc), and the buggy catch up mechanics.

The reason why the game is less balanced than before is two fold.

1. Skill no longer seems to be involved in team balancing. In BF1 there was an attempt to measure ability using a combination of SPM, KDR, and KPM to balance gameplay. It wasn’t great, but was better than nothing.

2. Well organised squads of good players have always been able to strongly influence the outcome of games. But with the way BFV is designed (attrition, TTD, squad revives etc) a well constructed squad and coordinated play is EVEN more influential than ever before. Get a couple of squads like that on one side and none on the other, and its goodnight Vienna.

That said, map design means that spawn traps seem to be reduced. Only really seen it on Fjell, where there are only really 2 exit points for one team.

Ultimately this game is very unforgiving for new players. I genuinely feel bad for people joining the game late in the day, it must be horrible... but at least there is no pay to win, or level advantage like other games. It’s not like a lv50 has access to some OP gear that a lv10 can’t get hold of etc. The only differentiator is experience and ability, which is what it should be really.
  • SupremeAzsoul
    332 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DICE are testing matchmaking tomorrow, hopefully with success! I'm assuming this is related to balancing

With all the "super players" after the recent combined arms stat-boosting.. Good luck with that.
  • trekosen355
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Yeah sorry for the late comment. So almost every game i join on Pacific or normally it's always unbalanced and it ends up with me and my whole squad leaving the game, there's deffinetly a solution to this, if they can make a multi Billonare company then i am most certainly sure that they can make a balanced matchmaking system. It's so sad seeing this game go to waste like this when there's so much potential matchmaking features that could be done to it. Keep in mind i am speaking about Battlefield V and i understand that this post is for Battlefield 1 but apparently they didn't change nor improve the matchmaking since the last game (Battlefield 1).
  • trekosen355
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Oh you guys werent speaking about BF1. My bad
  • kill_yor_idols
    75 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @bobiak1 The game matchmakes based upon filling a server, it does not include any sort of SPM, Skill ranking or MMR when it puts you into a server.If you had several games against solid players who have most likely been playing since launch or friends who are in discord together coordinating it was pure coincidence.
    Hold up, did you just read what you even wrote?? If the machine learning match making system isn't taking skill or anything else into account and only filling bodies into slots that are just "empty" than thats no coincidence, thats a failure of a match making system in place brought on by the devs. Even COD has some sort of match making system in place over just "filling empty slots" ffs
  • iamwiener
    173 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It is very hard to believe what you say here!
    I play a lot of squad conquest. During an 8v8 it is fairly easy to keep track of how ppl join the server. If matchmaking is based on filling up server ONLY, how come that on a 3v6 (middle of a game) a group of 2 not related to one of the 6 joins on the side with 6 making it 3v8 without anybody left the server to corrupt the filling up?
    How come you have multiple games 6v8 and as soon as one of the 8 leaves a new player joins that side keeping it 6v8 instead of 7v7. If occasions like these are "pure coincidence" then the matchmaking is heavily broken as those situations are the norm and not the exception.
    ---
    On the other hand: BF allows and encourages clan stacking (clan play = teamplay) which is a positive thing. Communities want to play together and this has always been part of BF. So I except that clans can make games one sided. But matchmaking should put other clans or at least higher skill lvl player on the other side to balance out. You say that none at DICE took the time to code such an algorithm for matchmaking is extremely embarrassing for DICE.
    ---
    Having the most easiest way to fill up server simply by player count not working and not even trying to have a matchmaking system that balances sides... wow, I'm lost for words.
  • DaManiac72
    84 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

The only way you can balance or "Matchmake" a server is through RENTABLE RANKED SERVERS where admins that actually pays for the server will balance it for you. A "Badmin" server will not have "non-member players" joining in the long rund and the server will eventually just die. Rentable servers with good admins can make sure the community is happy for many years and even newcomers to the game will be able to learn and improve.

The current  way of balancing is the worst that can happen to a game. The dumbest thing still going on (and you might think it is gone) is that we have the "catch-up-mechanic", which will make sure that not a single win or loss can be felt or considered as legit. DICE will always make sure that the balance sways. It is completely idiotic and I hope it will never be included in any future title or game.

• NLBartmaN
    3696 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah, next to the poor netcode, poor servers, lack of ping limits etc, the unbalance in games is by far the most gamebreaking part of this game.

Servers empty very fast when it is clear the game is unbalanced as can be, because you know there won't be a rebalance after a stomp, so it stays unbalanced.
  • zetamen21
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    lol, people so blind if don't understand that balance is just random. It's so obvious. 

Single solution - disconnect and find win balance server: easy frags, fun and humiliation of another team.