Why do people cheat?

caroliro
27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
I never quite understood what people get from cheating in video games. Can there be that much satisfaction coming from “doing well” when it’s not your actually skill level doing it? Is it an entertainment thing? Miserable human being getting enjoyment from ruining the experience for others? Thoughts or theories?

Comments

• WetFishDB
    2377 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think part comes from differing opinions as to what actually consistutes a cheat. It’s a hotly debated topic on Console, especially on public environments where there aren’t any formal rules other than things like Sony’s Terms of Service, which itself is open a little to interpretation. You aren’t allowed to use unauthorised hardware, but authorised and officially licensed are two different things. No one knows what’s authorised or not really. Are my Astro A50 headphones officially licensed? No. Are they authorised... I dunno. Techically using them may be breaching ToS, but do I consider myself a cheat? No, of course not. I’m picking a deliberately non-contentious piece of hardware, but input devices is where it gets really hotly debated. Ultimately most people use whatever device they want, and I suspect most would consider themselves as not cheating.

But those blatently cheating (like the video SMK shared, or hackers on Console)... I really don’t know. It makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. Bragging rights about how good they are perhaps? Perhaps that cudos helps prop up their low self esteem. But I’m no psychologist. I’d love it if someone who actually used to cheat were to join the thread to explain why etc.
  • Smithrff28
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hola tengo una pregunta si me pueden ayudar, he echo todos los desafíos de este semana pero no se me desbloqueo el tanque sturgeschutz IV
  • dislogedmoon
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Usually one Chet's because they find the game to hard so in order to feel good about themselves that cheat
  • caroliro
    27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Smithrff28 wrote: »
    Hola tengo una pregunta si me pueden ayudar, he echo todos los desafíos de este semana pero no se me desbloqueo el tanque sturgeschutz IV

No es solo un problema para ti. Por ahora solo tenemos que esperar a que DICE solucione el problema
  • mollyfrank1
    158 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I am crap at BF. But never thought of cheating. Why do they cheat. Makes them feel superior and draws attention to their wonderful stats. Also they are sewar dwellers.
  • Karnage75
    25 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Because they don't realize SPM/KDR and all the other crap stats mean NOTHING in the normal world.
    Gives those with bottom feeding self-esteem "some" slight worth. Then they go to their minimum wage jobs if they even accomplished having that.
  • Captainstabbins
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Because they are unhappy in their marriage
  • plasticman883
    374 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    That SMK booster guy was off the wall. You can kind of "get" why someone wants to use a m+k to be able to stream for a living, but just to get a better win rate which literally no-one cares about.....who knows. Perhaps there is some commercial angle he or she is pulling with it, I can't think of which though.

• The_BERG_366
    2817 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    That SMK booster guy was off the wall. You can kind of "get" why someone wants to use a m+k to be able to stream for a living, but just to get a better win rate which literally no-one cares about.....who knows. Perhaps there is some commercial angle he or she is pulling with it, I can't think of which though.

smk booster guy? O.o
    are you talking about SMK_GAMING_ on psn?
  • A_al_K_pacino_A
    1183 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

smk booster guy? O.o
    are you talking about SMK_GAMING_ on psn?

I'm sure he means the person smk_gaming featured in his video rather than smk himself.
  • keagen69
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    People cheat in order to be successful or to feel successful. It's mostly because they've lost so much that they've given up on trying to get good so they cheat. But then again you never know. Maybe theres a secret motive to some.