DISCUSSION: Maps

Comments

• An_Dulachan
    425 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    sloopyfish wrote: »
    Lmfao 1 map being added with greece.
    Now you really are messing with us right?

This game will die for sure with the less than drip feeding content. Simple as "you suck dice". Just because we pay £80 for a game without paid dlc does not mean you should not give decent content at a decent rate. Everything you have gave so far should have been in the game from the start tbh plus there still is not content that should be in the game from the start.

You are only making things worse for your game and the people that play it.

Maps? plural not just 1 dripped at a time
    Factions? or have you not even started them

Agreed100%.

I paid the extra for the deluxe pre-order and have been pretty bummed with this game. The main reason is maps. The quality of the existing maps, and lack of new ones coming in. Now we only get 1 after waiting forever. It also seems that were going to be waiting a long time for any new ones after, Greece also.

Maps are the most important thing in these games, and seems like you guys should know that, but for whatever reason that got put on the far back burner.

We all know you can do better, because you have in the past. That is why I will try to keep the faith.

Thanks again for listening to us, and please communicate any progress with maps to us much more regularly.
  • Lexen
    62 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Whatever happened to levolution? I loved having these massive player caused events throughout the progress of a match that changed the landscape and subsequently the battle. I really wish we could get some of that back in BFV
  • BillBailey0
    113 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Where do I get a refund, this is the worst Battlefield yet, it's buggy still, the content is **** and the cheats are getting worse, it still crashes for some people, even after this last update, either sort it out, or give it to Dice LA, they sorted out the mess that was BF4 which turned out to be a good game in the end. This will definitely be my last BF game that I purchase.
  • LunkvanTrunk
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 2019
    The fact that they are asking the community now which maps we like is a little bit concerning to me because it could mean:
    1. they have no maps ready beside the Greece one, which means it will take a month after that map to get another one (which would be SUPER bad for the reputation of the game)
    2. DICE is lacking a general idea where to go, don't know what maps are popular (everything else points to this), I mean they want to progress "with" the actual war history, so the location should be clear by now?

My general feeling is that we won't have one map besides Firestorm and the Greece Map by July. Maybe Firestorm is a hit, so big that it carries the game, but I'm a little bit suspicious.

I really like BF V, especially the gunplay. But we need maps as soon as possible. And if Firestorm is uncreative and brings nothing new to the table, the community will rage so much about the unnecessary mode and resources it took.
  • DJTN1
    306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Since time and resources are paramount, take a community vote for the top 6 maps from previous versions of battlefield. The assets are already done and would need less work than maps from scratch. It's a win win.

Problem solved! 😉
  • IIGuns
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    We need bigger maps please! Learn from BF3
  • Moorlander
    132 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    LEGlJAS wrote: »
    i need custom camouflage outfits for every single map.... maybe u should start with this

And then the cry babies would complain that they can't see you; completely ignoring the fact that you took the time and effort and skill to choose the right outfit for the job. This is after all the job of camouflage gear, is it not?

• Jokerdef
    56 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Lexen wrote: »
    Whatever happened to levolution? I loved having these massive player caused events throughout the progress of a match that changed the landscape and subsequently the battle. I really wish we could get some of that back in BFV

Good point!
  • GaZzZoZ
    49 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 2019
    Why do people keep asking for night maps ? theyre simply overall the worst atleast their variations are of the original map. Like that night map from BF4 with the 2 hangars in the middle it was god awful compared to the original. And its already hard enough to see the campers/enemies in this game due to the prone animation and camouflage, its like some persistent trolls are determined to keep asking for these to see how much more damage they can do to the franchise and get off on that.

This reminds me of the community of the (PES/pro evolution Soccer) series which is also terrible by the way where people want a more realistic and and deep authentic lifelike modes and teams but then these dudes from Saudia Arabia and Singapore pop up and make petitions to include these nonsense leagues and we get those countries leagues instead of some of the great teams not in the game due to licenses. When we ask for more european or better world national teams to be included first so we can play a more authentic WC or EC these guys pop up and want Vietnam and Thailand into the game. Its so goddamn weird just focus on the important things first and give us some good map designs and at a respectable pace because these vanilla maps are not good fro mthe get go and have already worn out their welcome long ago.
  • GrinddalDDG
    463 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    While I agree that the state of the game as is - Is sub par at best, I do not believe voicing more on this, is constructive to the op at all.

So here are my takes on the current maps, and wishes for future maps.

I have played since BF1942 and the only game I did not play was the 2142 version.

I will start from least favourite map to favourite.

Devastation

Yes, alot of people like this map, but for me it is annoying. I am very visual, and the map is just so bland and grey. This also makes it tough to spot enemies. Gameplay wise, this map is OK, I am still getting stuck in way too much debris.
    Fix vaulting, and getting stuck, and that would help alot. Give it a better color palet aswell. Design wise, it is a good map.

Fjell

This is possibly the most boring map in BF ever for me, but I am not getting stuck all the time, and I can spot enemies so it wins over Devestation this time. But this map is just one big ****, running from flag to flag - i do not understand this maps inclusion at all.

Fixing it would require a complete rebuild, adding some underground construction, or at least a few downed bombers to hide and take cover in.

Aerodrome

As others have said, the line of sight in this map makes it a clusterfuck at the C flag, the map works well in Grand Ops tho.
    And fights at the C flag are very fun. Make some ditches between flags, or add more aircraft on the ground for people to cover at.

Hamada

Most of the hate for this map comes down to it being Conquest Assault, fix that, and I think the map becomes great.

Narvik

Visually and actionwise a great map, but I find myself getting stuck alot here aswell. Map works well on conquest, but on Breaktrhough, the attackers face open ground uphill, and the defenders can just pick off from spawn - Addition of seafaring vehicles would be great.

I do not rate this map as an all time great, as it is a little too much like Suez, it is a very linear map, I would like the hilly area to be accessible with a few added trees.

Twisted Steel

Visually great map, and it works very well in balanced games - As soon as the game is unbalanced this map becomes hell for the loosing team, as the winning team will have the B and E flags (Bridge) and will lock down and pick off from all sides.

It is a little like Fao Fortress, in that the B and E flags are the faught over constantly, and the winners of those battles often lock down the bridge and often win on the that account, just like the F and E flags on Fao.

This map would do well with a village on the D flag instead of a Swamp, giving some cover from that side, also maybe a large church tower, that maybe towers the bridge road, so if the bridge is locked down, the other team has a high point they can counter from.

Panzerstorm

An almost perfect conquest map - It also is visually stunning, and looks even better at night (Wish that was an option in conquest aswell).
    Needs more tanks, and more diversity in the buildings for it to be perfect.

Rotterdam

This is a very good map for infantry, and if skilled also tankers - It is visually stunning, has just the right amount of destruction, and offers all out action for all classes - It also seems like you will find action at all flags at all times, except for the C flag - I love the B, E and A flags, they offer great battles.

I would only change the fact, that I would add boats, and again a nighttime theme would also suit this map well.

Arras

For me personally, this could become an alltime great - Perfect BF map, that includes terrain for all classes, tanks and aircraft - The map looks gorgeous, and offers flag diversity. I would not change this map at all - The E flag is Epic.

Now onto whawouldt I like for the future

As others have mentioned, and as a BF OG, I would love some remade versions of old maps, like Wake and such. But I also loved Berlin, and Market Garden, aswell as Coral.

Which is what I will be focussing on, Coral.

These maps are centered around the Phillippine campaigns against the Japanese Empire.
    On todays Engines I believe you could make some stunning maps.

I would love to see a map centered around the Battle of Leyte Gulf (Number 1 on the map), this would make for some great BF maps with room for all classes, ships/boats, aircraft and even tanks.

Ax00757.jpg

As shown in the photo, the are of Leyte Gulf is very diverse, and offers great map possibilities.

You could even build on this campaign with more maps, like a map centered around the Battle of Luzon, taking place on the Phillipine Island of Luzon, just north of the Gulf of Leyte.

This island has some awesome topografy and scenery and even plenty of cities, villages and towns to pick from.

u-g-P35PEC0.jpg?w=550&h=550&p=0

Luzon-Island-map.jpg.jpg

Luzon-Philippines-Global-Storybook2-2.jpg

And here are a few from the battle itself.

USA-C-Luzon-1.jpg

BattleOfLuzonFeatured.png

• GrinddalDDG
    463 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 2019
    So I just spent 30 minutes making a post, I post it, and it is there. I edit it, and now it is gone.... ? Any mod able to help?

Edit: It reappeared.
    Post edited by GrinddalDDG on
  • BillBailey0
    113 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Don't forget Wake Island
  • Van_Wailen
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 2019
    I rarely post in gaming forums, but I had to come in here and say the lack of info regarding new maps is disappointing. I had expected a lot more by now...

General map critique;

1. I love vehicle gameplay, so the Panzerstorm map is awesome. (Definitely not a COD player here!) I do not, however, enjoy having to queue up and spend a lot of time on Rotterdam in order to play Panzerstorm from the start. There should be some way to join our favorite maps from the start. (And play the map repeatedly, if desired.)

2. Getting airtime/experience in planes is extremely difficult, that is unless you want to spend all your time in Fjell (which I don't enjoy very much, due to lack of scope. Was this really a WW2 battle?) More planes, please!!

3. Again, I love large maps like Arras and Panzerstorm, which allow for a healthy mix of vehicle and infantry gameplay. Leave the small maps to C.O.D., Battle Royal mode to Fortnight (just MHO).

Wish List:

1. B-17 bombers, P-51, Corsair, and P-38 planes. B-17 especially - the workhorse of the European theater!
    2. Pacific theater battles!
    3. Carriers, subs, battleships (probably too much for BF, but it is a wish-list, after all! :)
  • TheFatKidDeath
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    WE NEED a V2 Atlantic coast map. The infamous German V2 rockets were the first long range ballistic missiles. V2 Rockets would be the flag points for capturing on Conquest mode.
  • dude_ButtCabbage
    105 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Van_Wailen wrote: »
    I rarely post in gaming forums, but I had to come in here and say the lack of info regarding new maps is disappointing. I had expected a lot more by now...

There should be some way to join our favorite maps from the start. (And play the map repeatedly, if desired.)

2. Pacific theater battles!

See above

I personally haven't played for a few weeks so my opinion probably doesn't matter. I didn't stop because any particular map was good or bad (although Twisted steel and Fjell were okay) for me it was the same maps in the same rotation and basically 3 modes.

I mean jeez could you at least scramble maps or something?
    TDM and Dom are pretty much the same mode IMO, conquest , frontlines, breakthrough, grand ops...
    If you just add a map into the rotation every month those new maps will will start to get old as quick as the initial 8 or 9 have for me. But they got old because it's the same 8 maps in exactly the same rotation over and over and over. I don't have 6 hours every night to play 5 maps to get to my favorite 6th one, and can never seem to find a server without a queue on the map before my favorite, so I just quit playing.

What is wrong with looking back at what worked before? You can take an existing map and make it infantry only, take another existing map and make it meat grinder like locker or metro for folks that like that style, and put up a server that just cycles through those couple maps, then another that cycles through the favorite conquest maps...etc...etc...you MUST have data on when more than the usual amount of players leave a server when X map comes up in the rotation right?
    I may be wrong but BF4 launched with what 12 or 13 maps and 6 to 8 modes?
    The they added another 20 over the next 3 - 12 months. At BF V rate it will take 3.5 years to get to 30 maps.

Long story longer, without RSP, if I log in and know I have an hour to play and can't find a server within a few minutes that is on one of my few fav maps or on a map before my few favs, I just quit and go play Apex or BF4 because I can find something I like and get right in and not waste my hour of game time waiting.

I know in reality you got my 80 bucks for preorder and I got a couple of months of pretty fun games before the luster wore off and I got bored.
  • someguy12121
    468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Of the BF games I have played BF3 has had the best map design and balance aside from a few, namely Operation Metro being the worst due to high percentages of the round devolving into one team keeping the other out of B and becoming a camp fest. BF4 was okay but no map was an OMFG I need to play it tonight map. BF1 brought maps back to being memorable and providing that Battlefield feeling. Amiens really drove that point especially with the planes flying overhead.
  • DK_Bastian2
    136 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I miss more content in the armory
  • DK_Bastian2
    136 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    dlgabriel7 wrote: »
    Making maps that dont encourage people to lay prone in the fields/coners or sitting at the back sniping would be a good start.

Will never happen due to players different choices - everybody have different playstyle, offensive and defensive, so never able to get a map where people dont camp or such :)
  • DK_Bastian2
    I only play breakthrough and occasional frontlines mainly as medic

Arras - probably is in my top 3 maps.
    Point A (defender) can be sometimes a bit cumbersome especially when there are tanks pressing on it. the farm building can be knocked down in seconds. and you are without a cover. then the hill humpers can snipe you down and you cant do anything. What I would like to see here is giving the defenders a bit more area to approach that damn hill and take out snipers and camping tanks. this would force people to actually attack the objectives
    also the path between A and spawn (church) is too open and more often than not attackers block you from coming down to defend it.
    I think the worst bit about arras is the actual grass itself. in real life it would spread out as you move across it.... NOT STICK THROUGH YOU and still covering you. all you have to do is to prone in a random place and camp (that often happens at 3rd cap points (water mill and that last building before last cap point).

Devastation - viability, viability, viability, viability, viability. yet is my 2nd of top3
    but. 1st A, B are great to defend and attack. I rarely had games where attackers were blocked from even reaching the B cap point although it does happen
    A/B/C caps the only issue I have is limited space to move around for defenders especially between A and Cathedral
    3rd A/B are good and balanced
    4th A/B (trains) I hate - I can never tell where from the defenders will come, there is just too many options in comparison to other cap points

Fjel - yup I like it as well. but visibility is an issue here.... a lot and it's too short (just 4 caps)

1st A/B points have way too much open space (especially A). While I manage to smoke myself in there 9/10 times, I should not have to. Hill humpers (support and recon) can be a nuisance on those points although if they are busy you can flank them fairly easy. Furthermore, if you flank A where the huts are there is a bit of an open space till next huts (and the defender spawn canyon thing). This is where I often get shot down.
    2nd A/B - The out of bounds flank on B (dice please do not fix this) can be often a game changer if executed well. The A cap is annoying as hill humpers camp in out of bound area so either extending it or doing something to stop this from happening would be great. Again I'm playing medic so there is not much I can do to take them down.

The one change I probably would do is to limit number of snipers/long range shooters on this map as these are the players that ruin the map

Rotterdam - this is a mixed bag
    A cap is great. bit of CC bit of sniping, decent flanks and defending points and the clusterfeck in the under passage reminds me of Op Metro in BF3

1st A/B. B point (market) is very unbalanced. too many dark areas meaning you get shot by ghosts (viability again) especially under the train track. The tank being able to camp out of bounds behind the market is another dumb thing to have.
    A I rarely attack this side because it's a lottery. I cant see people in the windows because they simply blend in. on top of that access being blocked by sandbags makes it impossible for me to get past it (medic) so flanking options are limited and they should not be in my opinion especially in CC areas (look at 1st A with 3 completely different access points)

2nd AB - B (white building), again visibility is an issue but less than A. several access points including back entrance flank
    A - (train tracks) is just too open, the tracks themselves are full of camping support players with MMG, without a smoke it can be difficult. and as mention earlier visibility in shadows

Aerodrome - well, this one is a mixed bag probably one of the worst maps for me.
    I like defending and attacking A.
    B is wrecked by hill humping TANKS. yes, tanks. I wish I took screenshots. I would have beautiful images of 4-5 tanks on hills just shooting from a distance
    A (hangar) - cap zone should be changed im just not sure how. Getting inside is a pain and once you are in you are shot down from 4 different directions. Some windows would be great so that you can check whats going on.
    I only like to play this map if I have Mastery (5-6-7) assignments to complete
    2nd A/B
    Radar - I dont even go there
    hangars - visability is a main factor taking away the fun in this area.

In summary, there is too many tanks that camp too far.

Narvik - I like the whole B side of the map (bridge, coal etc), A side is just ruined by visability but I do enjoy playing this map and I rarely get shot by a sniper which cannot be said about the next map....

Hamada - why DICE, why?!
    Who's decision was it to even release this map. it is literally the worst map in the game. full of damn hill humpers ( remember, as a medic there is not much I can do).
    Might as well just do plane field and it will be easier to play this map. most of the attack points or access to them are in the valleys. DICE WTF!!??
    Did I mention that it takes forever with 500 tickets to begin with
    Sumarry: Default playstyle is me pressing the options button and selecting quit

forgot about
    Twisted steel. my 4th fav map I'd say. It's really good in either BT or FL
    I always take the right hand side. it's more CQ the with limited campers for attacking and defending teams.
    However
    1st B point is spammed by bombers and leveled down to oblivion making it impossible to hide from incoming fire. And guess what, there is no way of taking those planes down.

The bridge, I simply ignore, it's just not worth it (unless I land on top of it lol)
    the last ABC points are too open when attacking (can you see a theme). Basically once you capture C and plan to get B or A it's a lottery if you will get shot down by a camper hiding in the bushes or somewhere

Overall, the maps are too open at places and dying from a hill humper that never goes at the objective is just annoying.
    I said this in a previous topic somewhere. Most of my deaths are from snipers and someone camping in a dark corner of the map. When you have to run from your spawn area flanking a capture point for 2 minutes only to be shot down by a camper it takes out all the fun.
    In fact snipers in this game are the most useless and infuriating class of all BF's games

Not really, i the old BF's you knew if they used scope, i do in fact not use scope most of the time but get insane long range kills because, i use my eyes and knowledge about distance and their speed - long range kills looks awesome so i do not use scopes, so you still hate me or ? haahaha