Weekly Debrief

*FIXED* Game crashing to desktop after patch today

Comments

• BrunOega
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 8
    I came across this today, it could shed some light on some people's issues.
    https://wccftech.com/windows-10-update-freezes-games-microsoft-recommends-uninstall/

Did you try to remove this windows update yourself? If so did it work.

I look ed quickly last night and did not see it in my list of installed updates. If I looked at it correctly then this means the Windows patch is not the issue. It seems EA is taking the usual approach of placing the blame on our systems instead of their code.

I didnt have it either. Like you said, it is ridiculous to blame the players computer instead of their own work, why arent they taking responsibility of their bad bad work?
  • TapperSweden
    202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 8
    Guys try this , i have tested every other solution to no avail ( i think) even removing the windows update.

Reset your audio settings and then just choose whatever you are using headphones or whatever, just dont change the surround to wartapes or anything else. After i did this i have not had a crash in 2 hours, i was crashing every 5-15 min before so maybe this is it :-)

Edit: only worked for a few hours, it started to crash again.
    Post edited by TapperSweden on
  • lGuerillal
    111 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    https://wccftech.com/windows-10-update-freezes-games-microsoft-recommends-uninstall/

Still crashing
  • Sharkey_Waters
    43 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well, unfortunately, clearing the Origin cache worked for a few days. But, I'm now back to the CTD issue. Same thing: game freezes and then I get back to the desktop. I guess I'll try turning of DX12 and go back to DX11 and see if that works. This widespread issue is not going to sit well with potential customers for EA/Dice products...
  • DesligaIsso
    104 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Crashing here too within a few minutes of gameplay after the goddamn last patch. RIP
  • Sharkey_Waters
    43 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well, since nothing has worked up to this point, I'm going to try rolling back Windows 10 X64 Pro to version 1803. I have read the various posts concerning the issue of games freezing due to the October update (1809). Since clearing the Origin cache, messing around with graphics settings (freezes whether using DX12 or DX11) has not alleviated the situation (for a short period these things might help, but then the problem starts up again) has helped, I'm going to try the rollback. I will post my findings after I have tested for awhile.
  • xO8BALL
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 9
    today ive found after disabling my xmp in bios on my 3200 memory bringing it to the default 2400 ive not had a single crash since
    on a 2080 dx12 ray tracing and dlss enabled 2k medium ray tracing
  • DesligaIsso
    104 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    xO8BALL wrote: »
    today ive found after disabling my xmp in bios on my 3200 memory bringing it to the default 2400 ive not had a single crash since
    on a 2080 dx12 ray tracing and dlss enabled 2k medium ray tracing

I never had any OC on my memories though and it's still crashing.
  • xO8BALL
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    have you tried turning future frame rendering of
  • Carbonic
    1478 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator

I look ed quickly last night and did not see it in my list of installed updates. If I looked at it correctly then this means the Windows patch is not the issue. It seems EA is taking the usual approach of placing the blame on our systems instead of their code.

Each and every patch that has ever been released by a AAA developer has had someone claiming that that specific patch is the cause of the game now crashing. Are they wrong most of the time? Yes.

So, looking at threads like this we logically have to ask ourselves some questions and act accordingly:
    If this was a general issue would there be more threads about it?
    Yes.

When crashes appear are game updates the most likely cause?
    No, it's usually drivers, Windows updates, background applications or general system software and hardware stability.

Have drivers, Windows update and background applications and the other most likely causes been ruled out?
    The answer to this is most likely no.

That aside, if you are convinced it's a game issue and you would like them help fix it I would suggest posting a bug report on Answers HQ as that will require you to post the information about your system DICE requires to try and replicate any issues. If the developers can't make the issue happen on their end it's very hard to fix.
  • NrMonkey
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Found this today uninstall patch KB4482887 if you have windows 10

https://altchar.com/games-news/590811/windows-update-kb4482887-performance-fix
  • DiscoPr0
    92 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 11
    Still crashing to desktop. Since clearing the Origin cache it seems that I can play longer but it still happens regularly.
  • ViolentMinds
    91 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 14
    I cleared the Origin cache and all that with no luck. Fml. This patch also broke my game. And I'm on Windows 7 x64 DX11.
    So its not a Windows 10 or DX12 issue. Its a game issue. " future frame rendering " on or off also makes no difference. Running game as admin and origin as admin also makes no difference. lol. Its clearly the game since it was working fine and no computer changes were made the only update was the latest game patch. With old GPU drivers or new it makes no difference. BF1 runs perfectly fine. BF4 works fine. Every other game ever works fine. Its not the system.
  • BlindChance
    506 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 14
    I cleared the Origin cache and all that with no luck. Fml. This patch also broke my game. And I'm on Windows 7 x64 DX11.
    So its not a Windows 10 or DX12 issue. Its a game issue. " future frame rendering " on or off also makes no difference. Running game as admin and origin as admin also makes no difference. lol. Its clearly the game since it was working fine and no computer changes were made the only update was the latest game patch. With old GPU drivers or new it makes no difference. BF1 runs perfectly fine. BF4 works fine. Every other game ever works fine. Its not the system.

Of course it is not your system. Sadly DICE isn't even capable of acknowledging the issue, nevermind fixing it. It was a similar story with BF4 and BF1 ( DirectX errors).
  • CjLinu
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 14
    Hello my fellow frustrated Gamers.

I spend the last 2 days going through different forum posts and trying posted solutions. Nothing helped so far.
    I tried everything on the posted list in this thread and more. What seemingly (playing since 2 hours without crash) fixed the problem for me was to update my BIOS!

Good Luck!
  • ViolentMinds
    91 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Time will tell
  • spychodelics
    233 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
  • RayD_O1
    608 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    NrMonkey wrote: »
    Found this today uninstall patch KB4482887 if you have windows 10

https://altchar.com/games-news/590811/windows-update-kb4482887-performance-fix

There is a new hotfix available to download which should fix any issues caused by KB4482887.

https://hexus.net/tech/news/software/128393-microsoft-fixes-update-impacted-games-last-week/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4489899/windows-10-update-kb4489899

• ViolentMinds
    Lol well i hope it fixes your issues you guys on windows 10
  • Fedayi_ARM
    54 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I couldn't find the named update which supposedly caused the crashes I had after the last patch (a month or so), but manualy install a feature update (amd64 something...) via Windows update settings fixed the crashes for me. So - try to manualy check whether there are Windows update available.