Toxic behaviour ingame needs to end!

Anaie1
71 postsMember Member
Hey guys, this is an discussion i seen and all that jazz, on all of my communities where i am active on. Including War thunder, Wow, Starcraft, BF games
The discussion is about fair behaviour toward other players and how you react towards them.
I have had this discussion in 3 now 4 different gaming communities, each differ in opinions but the facts remain the same

We are cruel to other players.
Twist it, turn it, flip it, throw the opinion in a wastebin but it will always return and almost haunt you in a similar fashion as "OP" Tanks haunt the game or that recon or assult or whatever.
We judge people by their stats, decisions they make, tanks they drive, their name and we never stand still why we do it besides; Well, because we have opinions about people.

Before we continue this, this is a disclaimer.
I'm not saying you shouldn't have an opinion about certain individuals in the game, Everybody has one, how cruel it may be.

But people never seem to fully realise what they're saying, or even thinking about certain individuals and how they develop from those thoughts.

I'm going to tell the stories of a few of the interesting replays i had on other forums over the years.

One of the replys drove a Tiger II with a german flag on one side of the turret. (Clearly he must have german origins right?) He got instantly mocked by a platoon of Tank destroyers and a scout for being a ****. When said, the volunteer did the right thing and ignore. Now the game developed and the platoon (who stuck awfully close to the volunteer in question) Began revealing his position in all chat. "B5! He's a ****, he doesn't deserve to play.". Our volunteer ignored his ranter and continued. But moved position just in case. Suddenly, the Tiger II gets spotted. And as he tried to get into decent cover. The Jackson driver, tracked him. Leaving him exposed and spotted in the open. Luckely, the person who shot was still reloading and he forced a repair just to get in cover from eventual artillery. But then again. The other Jackson tracked him again. Now, fortunatly, the friendly T95 saw all of it and drove in front of our volunteer and protected him from possible fire by blocking it. No shots were fired, Tiger II repairs. Now the T95 wasn't the only one who saw it happen and the team was pretty annoyed by the fact a platoon called a random individual a **** and track him for fun. A heated conversation occured between the T95 and the two Jackson players. Both sides insulting each other all sorts of stuff. Now, the T95 and the others began focussing on the game once more. The Tiger II. fell back after the flank collapsed. When both Jacksons died soon after.

Then the Jacksons started blaming the tiger II for letting them die by... Blocking them... Aparently, the tiger 2 managed to outspeed a full speed Jackson, on an OPEN FIELD when he's the most front located tank driving in reverse... Yeah, i was laughing aswel. Then, the platoon decided to reveal the location of the entire team. Including the 3 Heavies who fought against 7 tanks on the other flank and were succesfull. "They're about to cap, they're at J8". The remainder of the enemy team went into full reverse and destroyed the 3 battered allies soon after. This costed the guy the game. They were all Tier 9 Heavies who were stopped at 94 procent... The ending was awfull to watch. Our guy, who remained mute and didn't do any harm toward the platoon in the beginning had to face off 5 remaining enemies. Result: Loss 15-12...

When i watched that replay, i immediatly went to him. Gave him a couple of questions and asked; Are you a geman?
His answer was no. He just put the german flag, on every german tank because he loves the way it looks... His real nationality?
Swedish...

But we can't all blame our youth for this ( for me being 34 myself i certainly do stupid things and write idiotic comments it happends (but ingame i never use the chat in bf5) so i'm part of the problem), there are a fair amount of stupid people, exceeding the legal age of 18...
But while popularity is one factor of the game that increases toxicity. The biggest culprit in this story is and will always be Statistics... And it's not this game, it's every game you will ever play that has public statistics, everybody can share and see.
People like good numbers, high percentages, good grades... And when somebody has reached that certain threshold where you suddenly are a "good" player. People tend to bash the so called "bad players" for just being in their game.

So, that's it for this discussion. If you've come to the end, completely reading it and have your opinion to share. Please do so, just remember to be polite and be respectfull for each others opinion including mine.
I have time to share to discuss factors or even share some of the other stories from the replays. But just keep it clean and civil :D.
I also want to apologise for any writing mistakes i've made during this thread. It's a long night, and i'm not an native english speaker.

Remeber be nice to others you never know who is behind that screen!

Comments

• Anaie1
    71 postsMember Member
    Stahlmach wrote: »
    You are either very lonely or seem to have the desire to create your own Blog.....

or i see it as a bigger prob these days
  • DJTN1
    94 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    No offense but I hope you retained the publishing rights to the book you just posted. 😉

It is impossible to govern human behavior. People are rude because of their anonymity on the internet. It's unfortunate but the reality of the situation.
  • InnerD
    877 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Sruex85 wrote: »
    You are either very lonely or seem to have the desire to create your own Blog.....

so what kind of suggestion do you have to end it? as a net lifer i've noticed there is no end to toxic behavior as long as anonymity exists. and even then, facebook shows that even if you aren't anonymous it still seeps through the cracks.
    seems like a pointless en endeavor to me.
  • jaeger1169
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    TL;DR, don’t be a wuss.
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    786 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    jaeger1169 wrote: »
    TL;DR, don’t be a wuss.

And to say that you're not part of the problem is an understatement.
  • Anaie1
    71 postsMember Member
    InnerD wrote: »
    Sruex85 wrote: »

so what kind of suggestion do you have to end it? as a net lifer i've noticed there is no end to toxic behavior as long as anonymity exists. and even then, facebook shows that even if you aren't anonymous it still seeps through the cracks.
    seems like a pointless en endeavor to me.

if i get one to think, we won if i get two we win etc etc, i cant end it but i might change some one and for me it's a win
  • Redstripe101
    2520 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think you forget why people play games. Not to mention every pschological factor that contributes to competetiveness and emotional response. asking for behavior to be nerfed is basically asking for no immersion. no thanks. i dont support any type of bullying type stuff but at the end of the day, you can unplug from any situation you encounter in video games. other than that, ettiquette is merely a public preference.
  • m1k3ol
    807 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Moderator
    Toxic behavior should stop in any community

Lets compete, not trash talk
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2395 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Trying to fight toxicity on the internet is like fighting corruption within the government. It will always be there no matter what you do.
  • Astr0damus
    2735 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I spawned into a map earlier tonight (Arras) and headed toward Flag B, and got sniped from their spawn WHICH SITS DIRECTLY BEHIND FLAG B. If he wouldn't have got me, there was a TANK next to him! I blame DICE for putting spawns in eyesight of flags.
    I thought to myself earlier why these chumps don't just play Team Death Match, then in occured to me.. in TDM it FORCES you to spawn into the action.. there are not safe zones.
    ---
    The solution(s) would be so simple to implement:
    1. Put a hill, a row of buildings or something between safe zones and any and all FLAGS.
    2. Put a timer in place so that someone has 60 seconds to leave the spawn---no RE-ENTRY either!
    3. Why is there a timer on ME if I enter an enemy spawn (10 second countdown) but there is none for them to leave? This oversight by DICE is UNEXCUSABLE. They fixed the Base-Ra(k)e problem, but now it is in reverse! We get Ra(k)ed from their base! HOW STUPID. A camping SNIPER'S WET DREAM
  • TropicPoison
    2185 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Douchebags will be douchebags OP nothing you or anyone else can do to change that, it's especially never going to go away in FPS games.
  • StormSaxon
    415 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Never seen anything that bad in BFV.

Closest I got was a fellow tank driver on twisted steel. We were both in tigers advancing on the bridge. Enemy tank in front. It’s already damadged so I stop to finish it off. Friendly tiger drives OVER my tank to get ahead.. stole my tank kill too.
    So I shunt him and drive over him.
    He then rams me OFF the bridge he then gets blown up as instead of watching the enemy he’s busy trying to push me off the bridge and hadn’t noticed enemy assaults creeping up. Our team loses two tanks and the objectives. It must have looked hilarious to the enemy as my tank nose dived into the river.
  • JUJAMAKILL
    189 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    WARNING: WALL OF TEXT INBOUND

Here's a question... Should this even be in the BF5 general discussion section? Considering it doesn't even reference the game in any way shape or form? Or has this just become another platform for some 'self appointed authority' to push their opinions on political correctness and the need for moderation/censorship? (<--- Not directed @ OP, I'm thinking of the 'bigger picture') It may explain why it hasn't been moved to 'off-topic' given DICE's stance on such topics... I won't even type the offending 'acronym' that best suits to describe such agendas...

So sick of hearing garbage about 'toxic this' or 'that' in society. If people are so insecure with in themselves, the only thing they will ever find in life are 'things' that are 'toxic'. They go out of their way looking for reasons to be offended or upset, no matter how slight they may be. ZOMFG my toast is TOXIC cause i inadvertently choked on a crumb during my attempt to consume it! Woe is me... BAN BREAD!

If people are so sensitive that mere words uttered by a stranger, or even group of strangers on the 'internet' or in game, cause you adverse mental or health issues, perhaps these avenues are not in your best interests. I really don't understand how society these days has become so 'thin skinned'. We all know there are ways to combat this behaviour on an individual level. You can mute the offenders or whole lobby, you can block players, you can even SWITCH servers, change game modes or even just turn the game off for a while and come back later. But we know that these people aren't going to do that....

Instead they insist on moderation, censorship or bans, which is basically an attack on everyone else's freedom and creativity. I mean really, people getting banned for T-bagging players, like how soft do you have to be to report that. What real harm was done? People calling for sniper limits because they get killed by them too often, never mind the fact they might be making themselves easy targets.. Look at the chat filters we have these days for heavens sake. Somewhat innocent words used on their own can now no longer be used AT ALL because they MIGHT be used collectively to become some form of theoretical 'hate speech'. Never mind the historical relevance of some of them, especially in regards to this game in particular...

I don't understand how we can be playing a game that literally depicts characters running around on a battlefield killing other people with various weapons, yet if you are to voice your intent of killing said player in chat... Well you just openly threatened someone didn't you? I mean, you really shouldn't have to explain the fact that said aggressor probably didn't mean they were literally coming to get you IRL? Or did they? /sarcasm.

People also do a lot of stoopid things in game, but don't you dare call them out on it either, it may be offensive or upset someone.... All this sort of crap nowadays just lessens the fun of gaming and the DEV team's creative abilities. Because they have to scrutinize every minute detail of their game to make sure no one will be upset over tiny little details, that to the majority of players, is insignificant and couldn't care less about.

This endeavour is futile, because so many people are 'triggered' by so many different things. That's how we end up with the addition of diverse ethnic groups heading into battle on board the GERMAN aircraft, or the 'inclusion of "_______" on the frontlines. So we can say we included all and discriminated against none. Makes for good feels right? Well to prove my earlier point about how everyone gets 'triggered' differently, i will now demonstrate. I am personally offended by this forced inclusion. Yes, I am serious. To me it takes away the focus of how bloody and brutal WWll was and made it out to be a sick joke with it's inaccurate portrayal of events. Yeah yeah, i get it, DICE were remaking their 'version' and all, yeah, good cover story..../NOT.

But in the end, it will be the constant call for moderation/censorship and policing of political correctness that will end the gaming community as we know it. I can already feel it sucking the life, fun and freedom out of it. Be careful what you wish for folks. IMO it is nothing more than a tool more often used for revenge, than any real mitigation of perceived harm. Someone continually killing you because you lack the same level of skill? Well we can report them for T-bagging someone earlier, or they said something in chat that could be considered 'rude, inappropriate' or just against the 'terms of service'. Oh, and let's not forget about the fact that there is absolutely no re-course for those being 'unfairly' banned. You cannot discuss it and you can very rarely even repeal it. Is that a consequence we are prepared for?

People need to grow up and understand that the opinions of some random on the internet or in a game count for NOTHING. Just like my opinion on this topic, it counts for nought. They are merely words. You are who you are, You decide what it is that makes you unique. EVERYBODY has flaws and weaknesses. NO ONE has any power over you, UNLESS you give it to them...There is no consequence unless you allow it. So stop making it so easy for those that are that way inclined.

I admit it, i will trash talk like a salty pirate at times. One of the best rivalries I have ever had was against a particular clan and their leader in COD. He was like my arch nemesis. I would look forward to being able to compete and absolutely wreck each other every night. Sometimes I won, sometimes they won. Sometimes it got nasty on both sides, but even now after 4yrs since I last played that franchise I still genuinely miss the rivalry we had. I didn't really mean some of the comments that were said, nor do I think he did. It was a bit of fun that added to the excitement of competitive gaming.

TL;DR

Political correctness and censorship sux. To the game studios: Stop trying to play the good guy by over policing games and inserting your political agendas.

DISCLAIMER: FWIW my stance on this is in regards to age appropriate gaming. I am in no way advocating for anyone to go into Hello Kitty Online and trash talk children. That is UNACCEPTABLE in ANY form. But for games like BF5 with a mature age rating, if you are mature enough to play games with this rating, then you SHOULD be mature enough to realize that people griefing or trash talking you hold NO value or consequence whatsoever. If you are not mature enough to understand this then gtfo.
    To those of you who are special little snowflakes, may i suggest a glass of water and a teaspoon of cement so you can harden the f*** up.
    #HTFU
    #StopSookingSweatheart
  • Anaie1
    71 postsMember Member
    Douchebags will be douchebags OP nothing you or anyone else can do to change that, it's especially never going to go away in FPS games.

I know but i might keep one from going full ****, i made a diffrence
  • Anaie1
    71 postsMember Member
    JUJAMAKILL wrote: »
    WARNING: WALL OF TEXT INBOUND

I admit it, i will trash talk like a salty pirate at times. One of the best rivalries I have ever had was against a particular clan and their leader in COD. He was like my arch nemesis. I would look forward to being able to compete and absolutely wreck each other every night. Sometimes I won, sometimes they won. Sometimes it got nasty on both sides, but even now after 4yrs since I last played that franchise I still genuinely miss the rivalry we had. I didn't really mean some of the comments that were said, nor do I think he did. It was a bit of fun that added to the excitement of competitive gaming.

TL;DR

Political correctness and censorship sux. To the game studios: Stop trying to play the good guy by over policing games and inserting your political agendas.

DISCLAIMER: FWIW my stance on this is in regards to age appropriate gaming. I am in no way advocating for anyone to go into Hello Kitty Online and trash talk children. That is UNACCEPTABLE in ANY form. But for games like BF5 with a mature age rating, if you are mature enough to play games with this rating, then you SHOULD be mature enough to realize that people griefing or trash talking you hold NO value or consequence whatsoever. If you are not mature enough to understand this then gtfo.
    To those of you who are special little snowflakes, may i suggest a glass of water and a teaspoon of cement so you can harden the f*** up.
    #HTFU
    #StopSookingSweatheart

First sorry if i took away half of yer wall of text, i dont say you cant burst in to flame, or have some friendly rivalry, it aint a get a thick skin, im 34 i have a thick skin, but to the boy or girl who aint have a thick skin have to quit the game due to harrasment, should they? Im a nurse ive meet young players and older players who quit games over toxic ****, and ive even meet parents to player who took that bad way out of life due to harrasment and bullying ingame.

If you meet me ingame call me idiot once im pretty sure non of us rly care right? but if you go on and on it's bad right? i dont see special snowflake syndrome here, sure there are insecure players who need to act tough that wont change, but we need a better tone in the gameing community over all
  • Broliszibaila
    241 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This not going to happen. Just wait battle royale....This stuff going to even more increase toxic behaviour. Also, even BF5 game itself makes many opportunities for toxic community. Do you think putting in the agenda and rewriting history reduces toxicity? I doupt it.
  • Noromiz
    277 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    If I actually encounter someone ingame who I deem too toxic I just report them :/
    But that have only happened a handful of times in my ~200 hours a playtime, so it is rather rare.

Anyhow, it is not like anything will happen just because I did that, even though they where way out of line.
  • esturias_88
    135 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    These kinds of games attract lots of spoiled brats and immature lowlifers, protected by anonymity - and by the incompetence of the people who allow all that toxicity to happen. It's sad, but this is how things work these days, our society is climbing down the tree of evolution again and people get dumber and more asocial with every new generation.
    But I have to say that it doesn't seem to be THAT bad here. Most of what I see is dumb kids claiming "CHEETER!!1" and "HAXXES!2" left and right and a few people throwing around that new hyped cancer thing. Could be worse. Report those, move on.
    btw: Just in case we have some special people here who don't get that you can complain about this without being a soft-skinned, easily offended and fragile flower-human-kind-of-thing. You might want to think again. Growing up might also help understanding the overall point.
  • Anaie1
    71 postsMember Member
    edited March 10
    play late night much better!
    Post edited by Anaie1 on