Terrain blocking shots? Bad Netcode?

Halcyon_Creed_N7
1530 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
A few times I've had the drop on someone and I fire and nothing happens. At all. It's like my bullet just disappears. This is with different weapons. This latest time I was trying to ambush a squad with a bolt-action, they were maybe 50-75m away, so there was no real need to account for bullet drop. I aimed at their heads, chests, and nothing. Just absolutely nothing happened, fired on 3 of them, and all that happened was that they saw me and killed me in the blink of an eye with an SAR.

I've also been unable to damage tank gunners sometimes. It's like they're invincible. Am I hitting invisible terrain or other objects or something? Or is the netcode just that bad?

I play with a ping of less than 30 and have no trouble 99% of the time, just that 1% that I'm left scratching my head as to how I couldn't damage easy targets. Anyone else experience this?

Comments

• CaptainHardware
    303 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    A specific known bug exists that sometimes makes vehicle gunners immune to bullet damage. Though explosives in my experience will always kill them.

The other stuff is probably netcode related.

Terrain will block shots though, the graphics of many jagged objects and the actual collision geometry assigned them don't align, the collision son is always simpler then it looks when its a pile or debris or similar. This is nothing new in battlefield, it's just BFV has a lot more complex terrain then prior games.

• DingoKillr
    4119 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Fence railing and poles will block. Some fortifications when peaking will block like sandbags.

There are trees and bushes that have magical ability to stop not only bullets passing thru they can also block bullets passing nearby.
  • PackersDK
    855 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It doesn’t even have to be terrain. I’ve had bullits stopped by the barbed wire on a fence. Not the wooden pole, but the wire.

And it wasn’t a bug, because Dice had added the ping sound of hitting metal. Soo stupid.
  • Kayback
    367 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I find it to be SUPER ping sensitive.

If I play on local servers I get about 22. If I play on international servers I get around 130. At almost exactly 145 it STB. Even shots which don't require leading like people moving towards/away or stationary seems to just disregard and shots I make.

Now I know you say you're on less than 30 but there might be a ping Spike you're missing.