Casual Reminder that low render settings still have massive advantages over ultra

Comments

• spychodelics
    212 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ wrote: »
    Well that is nothing new. Gameplay suffers when visual mumbojumbo is added in absurd amounts to reach a certain showcase value. Plus of course bf5 is really hard on your CPU so every FPS you gain is important. And still the effect is marginal, yeah some smoke effects might be less dense, but dying through this is very rare. The only issue is with the rendering distance of the **** fields on Arras, but then again what is the reason to leave that setting at ultra?

Yes, its nonsense what the we get forced on with taa and other visual stuff. I am running low, i cant see thru smoke, hell i would be agruing i see less then someone playing on ultra since the renderdistance is lower on my end so some enemys appear out of thin air.
  • ENKkii87
    200 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Another one of the many reasons I play on console. Even playing field for the vast majority of games plus keyboard and mouse hurts my hands in prolonged play.

Bfv is a game.I'd call console quality. I'd definitely not play it on my PC.
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    786 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I mean, do you really want your game to look like this?

???

I'm confused.
    I'm literally talking about how some smoke and other visibility changes don't exist on low settings or are easier to see through/around compared to ultra or even high settings.

It's a graphical modification (through .cfg tweaks) that allows you to lower the visuals of the game waaaaay below what the developers ever intended and thus increasing player visibility dramatically. Cheat or not? That's not for me to say.

---

This is one of those "you can't have your cake and eat it" situations. Would you like to sacrifice visual fidelity for maximum performance? Or would you like to sacrifice performance in favour of very, very nice eye-candy?

Once again, that's not for me to say but whether you choose performance or visuals, know that the developers probably intended it to be that way.

No I understand what it is. It's not about performance either. It's not about eye candy. It's about players having a distinct advantage over other players because their system can't handle some settings.
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    786 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The irony comes from pc players pushing the better graphics causing the clutter and then serious gamers lowering their settings to avoid it.

It'd be different if the LOD loading was lower but every single asset and option still existed. But in competitive games, you can't expect a level playing field without locking things in place. It's equivalent of a car in CSGO loading a more high-res texture for people that had higher settings. And that higher res model was higher up. Players on low settings could still see you but you couldn't see them.
    It's a serious problem when things like smoke doesn't render for some players but does for others.
  • stiny1838
    263 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I mean, do you really want your game to look like this?

???

I'm confused.
    I'm literally talking about how some smoke and other visibility changes don't exist on low settings or are easier to see through/around compared to ultra or even high settings.

It's a graphical modification (through .cfg tweaks) that allows you to lower the visuals of the game waaaaay below what the developers ever intended and thus increasing player visibility dramatically. Cheat or not? That's not for me to say.

---

This is one of those "you can't have your cake and eat it" situations. Would you like to sacrifice visual fidelity for maximum performance? Or would you like to sacrifice performance in favour of very, very nice eye-candy?

Once again, that's not for me to say but whether you choose performance or visuals, know that the developers probably intended it to be that way.

No I understand what it is. It's not about performance either. It's not about eye candy. It's about players having a distinct advantage over other players because their system can't handle some settings.

its not just about peoples systems not being good enough everyone gets by with what they have they are not the problem, we all know there is a certain set of players that will just use it regardless of their system setup just for the advantage of being able to spot the other team from across the map when they are supposed to be concealed by foliage. as a console player i believe pc players have it bad enough with hackers. they don't need stat padding players using this against them too.
  • m1k3ol
    823 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Moderator
    I jut wanted to note, that smoke nades don't disappear even in lego settings...

only way to be shot is if you're already marked by a sniper's flare or something
  • CaptHotah
    1069 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Or you could all turn Effects Quality to LOW and be done with it...
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    m1k3ol wrote: »
    I jut wanted to note, that smoke nades don't disappear even in lego settings...

only way to be shot is if you're already marked by a sniper's flare or something

Yeah they don't dissapear. They do have less polys and are easier to see around though.
    Ambient smoke seems to go away though. On Narvik, there's a portion of the elevated train track that is broken and smoke comes out of it on Ultra but not on Low. Gunsmoke is less noticible (if it's even there) on low. You can see through trees easier on low. You have a somewhat significant advantage if you're playing on low as someone on Ultra believes they're hidden or obscured by the smoke but the person on low doesn't see the smoke/tree that's rendered on Ultra.
  • Cropulus
    260 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I put my machine on the lowest resolution settings to keep it as smooth as possible and increase visibility within the possible game settings. Everyone can do that. Anything above and beyond is considered cheating in my opinion. You might as well download esp and aimbot while you are at it.
  • ChiefSniper
    155 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ENKkii87 wrote: »
    Bfv is a game.I'd call console quality. I'd definitely not play it on my PC.
    "Console quality"? This just confirms you've never played BFV on a decent gaming system. Even a half decent PC system wipes the floor.

• Hawxxeye
    5365 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 15
    The irony comes from pc players pushing the better graphics causing the clutter and then serious gamers lowering their settings to avoid it.
    Seriously players should stop pushing for better graphics, it is not sustainable by the hardware
    BF already looked good enough at BF3 graphically
  • LOLGotYerTags
    12847 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Things like smoke specifically are not loaded in the same detail (or even ambient smoke isn't rendered at all) on low. Someone could see you from 100 m but you can't see them at all because they can see through the smoke and you can't.
    Just thought the developers needed an update.
    Edit: In addition, edges are much sharper, suppression isn't nearly as cloudy, and most gunsmoke doesn't render to block your vision.

Whilst there may be some advantages to running all low, anybody who is playing competitively SHOULD be rocking all low settings to increase competetiveness and to maintain a higher framerate.

There's no strict policy in place which forces users to play at all ultra settings, Or that if you run X GPU then you must run at X preset.

It's hardly what I would call "cheating" though.

Everybody here who plays on PC has the choice to play at a lower preset if they choose to do so, Another reason there is low->medium->high->Ultra presets is due to the wide range of GPU's and system configurations.

Obviously the lower presets are aimed at users whom are running bare minimum system requirements, I don't see the issue personally.

If people want to rock all ultra and obviously put themselves at a disadvantage then go for it.
  • Noromiz
    291 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Things like smoke specifically are not loaded in the same detail (or even ambient smoke isn't rendered at all) on low. Someone could see you from 100 m but you can't see them at all because they can see through the smoke and you can't.
    Edit: In addition, edges are much sharper, suppression isn't nearly as cloudy, and most gunsmoke doesn't render to block your vision.

Even playing on 2k Ultra I have never been affected by suppression, or at least not anything worth noticing :/
    Suppression is only there for me to have something to blame for my terrible accuracy with LMGs and MMGs, and for the free points you get for not hitting enemies and spotting them :smiley:
  • disposalist
    8505 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Whilst there may be some advantages to running all low, anybody who is playing competitively SHOULD be rocking all low settings to increase competetiveness and to maintain a higher framerate.

There's no strict policy in place which forces users to play at all ultra settings, Or that if you run X GPU then you must run at X preset.

It's hardly what I would call "cheating" though.

Everybody here who plays on PC has the choice to play at a lower preset if they choose to do so, Another reason there is low->medium->high->Ultra presets is due to the wide range of GPU's and system configurations.

Obviously the lower presets are aimed at users whom are running bare minimum system requirements, I don't see the issue personally.

If people want to rock all ultra and obviously put themselves at a disadvantage then go for it.
    Whilst I don't entirely disagree, the problem currently is that lower settings don't just make the game less demanding, they make it easier to see, apparently.

That's entirely within the devs control. It *is* currently being used like a cheat.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    12847 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    I could probably fire up BFV and change between low and ultra on the fly and I reckon it won't be all THAT much different, Just lower resolution smoke and less demanding terrain and vegetation
  • disposalist
    8505 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 15
    I could probably fire up BFV and change between low and ultra on the fly and I reckon it won't be all THAT much different, Just lower resolution smoke and less demanding terrain and vegetation
    They may have fixed a few things... it used to be that whole wheat fields just disappeared! I have seen lately though that vegetation you think you're sat hidden in does still disappear.
  • ChiefSniper
    155 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 15
    I think the advantage gained by lowering your graphics settings to low is being grossly exaggerated. It's marginal at best. Next y'all will be saying that a high ping will give you an advantage. OH WAIT :| :)
  • TyroneLoyd
    1347 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 15
    I'm not going to use ultra if it's going to tank my fps under my monitor refresh rate on any fps game. Think what you will but I'm going to keep playing on low. It's a choice if you want to play on ultra and play a mudded round of effects go right ahead but calling people playing on low scum and have a massive advantage is uncalled for. You make the choice when you join a game. Blame dice for the engine having pop in issues.
  • xXMysterio
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I don't even get the point of this thread. What do you expect DICE to do exactly?
    Are you aware that lowering the settings always will make you see a little bit more/better or whatever? I personally play on low as well, for 2 reasons.
    1. My CPU is quite old, highly oc'ed, but I need to play on all low to achieve 120 FPS for GSync constantly. I would play at higher resolutions, if my hardware would be stronger.
    2. I play competitive, so I want the lowest input-lag possible. And guess what, you only get it with tweaked settings (low graphics alongside with FFR optimizations).

So. What should I do for example? I'm student and can't afford to buy me a new PC / better hardware. I have to play it like that. If DICE would raise the graphics, even on "low" to a higher level, I couldn't play it normally (like many others too). And tbh, the game looks "almost" as good on low as on ultra. There's only the massive FPS drop and input-lag increase if I set it on ultra (~50-60 FPS, much higher lag).

TL;DR
    Buy me (and probably others) new hardware - thanks in advance - and we all can play on high / ultra and have peace in mind. If you won't do that, please don't complain about it. Some of us are forced to play on low - no matter if we want or not.
  • CoD_Is_Number_1
    303 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Not necessarily, at further distances objects will disappear (until you ADS, where they reappear) and you can see anyone behind them as for some reason soldiers will render at every distance.

It's a case of either bumping up the minimum specs for everyone and forcing the game to render everything at range, which means less sales due to less compatibility on lower end hardware, or keep it as it is and give players the choice.