Experienced the benefits/other side of high ping

Halcyon_Creed_N7
1530 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
Played a round on Arras just now where I was experiencing pretty bad lag and some rubberbanding the whole match (had ping variance that would jump from 20-50ms), but I was able to clean house, went 54-12 with an EMP and the Medic. I could easily damage players, but it seemed like most of their shots would miss, it was especially noticeable when I ran around with the revolver when my ammo ran out. I would dance around the enemy firing 3-4 shots in some cases and would only take 50 or less damage throughout the encounter.

It was almost like playing against bots. My usual experience is having a very good, stable connection with low ping and dying instantly from other players.

Seems like there's not really a middle ground, but now I see first hand why OORs have been a big problem in this series.

Comments

• NLBartmaN
    4482 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    You also notice it a lot when you play with around 80 ping on USA servers, dogfighting is so much easier.

Their bullits can barely touch you and you just need to aim just in front of them and the server gives you server hits even if you don't hit them on your screen.
  • von_Campenstein
    6621 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    But, but, inclusive!
  • BIO30NGclankillr
    45 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You shouldn't really notice any lag from 1-100ms ping
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7
    1530 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    But, but, inclusive!

I never understood this mentality for multiplayer games. Logically you'd want to control as many variables as possible to give the most amount of players a stable gameplay experience, this is the reasoning behind banning cheaters, but instead DICE makes the ping limit too high and that drags down the experience for everyone, and then you have a ton of players complaining and quitting.
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7

Well, like I said it was ping variance, which is a semi technical term, I guess. I don't know, Battlenonsense explains it well, basically it's just lag spikes and packet loss.
  • PoppaPappo
    241 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You realize what this means, right? That there are a lot of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ players who actually aren’t nearly as good as they think they are.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    But, but, inclusive!

I never understood this mentality for multiplayer games. Logically you'd want to control as many variables as possible to give the most amount of players a stable gameplay experience, this is the reasoning behind banning cheaters, but instead DICE makes the ping limit too high and that drags down the experience for everyone, and then you have a ton of players complaining and quitting.

EA doesn't care if you quit, you've already paid for the game, they have your money, why would they care if you leave? When BF6 is about to be released they'll put out a lot of PR fluff about their secret new anti-cheat and their improved network performance and, "We really listened to the community when designing this game," and blah blah blah and absolutely nothing will change, it might even get worse. EA has decided that their games don't have to be great anymore, good enough is all they're aiming for. So if some of us quit because nothing stops out-of-region players from lagging out the servers, some other suckers will come along and replace us, no big deal.
  • BFB-LeCharybdis
    857 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Had a clan join Domination last night, all four of them had ping in the 90's and that was it, the game completely fell apart with insta kills for everyone.

It currently feels like the NetCode TTD problems aren't much better than launch.