Have we given up on the medic?

GirlMisfit
109 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Last night, several of the usual squad mates logged on and we decided to go back to the regular maps and conquest from Firestorm. Immediately we loved the large volume of action over Firestorm and we enjoyed actually winning a game again. Then we noticed, where were the medics?

Our entire squad was playing assualt class. When dropped, normally you can see the distance of team medics, but there wasn't any. It seemed that the other squads stuck together and picked each other up and when needing bandages, got them at the medical crates at the flags. It really seems there is very no interest in playing a medic.

With all the fixes and new maps, etc. I wonder if the medic class was just given up on. Every other class has several weapon types to choose from. Snipers get bolt action and self loading rifles, support get heavy, medium machine guns and shot guns, and assualt class gets assualt rifles and semi auto rifles. Medics only seem to get one choice and its the sub machine gun.

Did all the medics from BF1 just give up on the class like I did because it's a worthless class?

Comments

• GirlMisfit
    Steve I understand how to play medic and use of smoke. When I play medic, I choose to take 5 smokes and often I run out. Even with having a knowledge of how to smoke a revive, there are still problems with the class that makes medic frustrating and not much fun to play.

I cant tell you how many times I see a down team mate, I can get to him across the field of fire. I even mark the player so I get the speed bonus and so they know I am coming. I shoot a smoke and wait a second for the smoke to fill. I take off towards the down team mate and drop a smoke grenade. Then when I reach the down player, I find his non-medic squad mates are picking him up, or he taps out and made the choice not to be revived but respawn.

There are moments when several squads stay together and I can revive like crazy, but then there are games where the entire team is split up and my only option to revivie is the three people in my squad.

I dont think my observations are non-sense because there appeared to be a real lack of medics and no one in my platoon want to play medic.
  • KMAsterisk
    243 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The answer is yes, some have, and there's good reason for it. Assault can be competitive at all 3 ranges + Medic stations + squad revives. So can support, although the weapons are a little more limited.

But that being said medic is still solid, they've just made it situational to where you just can't go Rambo all the time outside of 30m.
  • WetFishDB
    2128 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    GirlMisfit wrote: »
    Last night, several of the usual squad mates logged on and we decided to go back to the regular maps and conquest from Firestorm. Immediately we loved the large volume of action over Firestorm and we enjoyed actually winning a game again. Then we noticed, where were the medics?

Our entire squad was playing assualt class. When dropped, normally you can see the distance of team medics, but there wasn't any. It seemed that the other squads stuck together and picked each other up and when needing bandages, got them at the medical crates at the flags. It really seems there is very no interest in playing a medic.

With all the fixes and new maps, etc. I wonder if the medic class was just given up on. Every other class has several weapon types to choose from. Snipers get bolt action and self loading rifles, support get heavy, medium machine guns and shot guns, and assualt class gets assualt rifles and semi auto rifles. Medics only seem to get one choice and its the sub machine gun.

Did all the medics from BF1 just give up on the class like I did because it's a worthless class?

Basically, yes.

Lots of people chose Medic in BF1 as their main class due to the flexibility of the guns, with the rapid heal being a major bonus. With BFV, that gun flexibility has been passed mostly to Assaults, with the advantage of explosives to deal with the prevalence of campers. It’s somewhat the meta on bigger modes... especially with the health stations on most flags, which is where most action tends to be anyway, then the healing aspect becomes a bit of a mute point. And squad revives regardless of class mean the value in medic is greatly diminished.

Medic guns just aren’t flexible enough on bigger modes to be viable. They are fine occasionally, Conquest Devastation for example, or on smaller modes. But on Hamada Conquest? No way. They are just too situational.

And the benefit of exposing one’s self for a slow-ish revive of a non-squad team mate who is undoubtedly in the open, coupled with the TTD quicker than you can abort the revive etc just makes it a frustrating experience. Especially as the auto-heal seems a little slow.

Personally, I think there might be some benefit of running medic and just sitting back until you can pick up another more viable gun of a dead enemy/team mate. But, I mostly can’t be bothered and would prefer to jump straight into the action with a class that gives me a reasonable chance of most engagements etc.
  • GirlMisfit
    I agree with you WetFish that BF 1 had more flexable guns to choose from and that helped a great deal. A medic was more important in BF1 and had more ability to fight back. I think getting medium range rifles would help motivate interest in playing a medic.
  • GRAW2ROBZ
    2438 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Me as a medic is what makes the so called elite look good for their k/d ratio. But we get nothing to show for other then a lame 100 points for blueberry revives and 200 for our own squad.
  • stiny1838
    263 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    GirlMisfit wrote: »

all you have to do as a medic is pick up another gun then you are a running gunning infinate healing ****.
  • MrJayPee71
    209 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Mostly yes. Very situational.
    My least ranked class by a long way
  • stiny1838
    263 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    * bad a$$
  • MrCamp121
    830 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Medic has my highest stats on xbox for spm and kd ratio..idk why people have issues with it. And i run solo with nobody to rely on. camp w1ck is my gt if you need any validation that im not full of it. Im by no means a medic main i sti find it far more enjoyable than the other classes
  • stiny1838
    Medic has my highest stats on xbox for spm and kd ratio..idk why people have issues with it. And i run solo with nobody to rely on. camp w1ck is my gt if you need any validation that im not full of it. Im by no means a medic main i sti find it far more enjoyable than the other classes

because in the core game smg damage over range is bad even shotguns (slugs) out range them.
  • MrCamp121
    830 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Shotguns are so iffy in this game. Ive shot someone point blank in the back from behind and done less than 40 dmg lol

If someones out of my smg range i dont engage if i dont have to. Pop smoke and disappear. Its also hilarious popping smoke and waiting in it for them to run by, then kill em lol the laughs i get doing that makes my day
  • stiny1838
    Shotguns are so iffy in this game. Ive shot someone point blank in the back from behind and done less than 40 dmg lol

If someones out of my smg range i dont engage if i dont have to. Pop smoke and disappear. Its also hilarious popping smoke and waiting in it for them to run by, then kill em lol the laughs i get doing that makes my day

point blank is a ohk with either ammo for shotgun in center mass. as for the smoke try to co-ordinate with your squad to put ap mines in smoke or smoke the mined area it's far more enjoyable when you hear the ping and a squad goes down. ;)
  • YourLocalPlumber
    3194 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 2019
    Medic requires skill and tactics to play. Over 90% of BF playerbase lacks both of those things. People think that medic is versatile and can be good at everything at the same time. No! You must change your loadout based on map you play. You always have to move, pick gunsfights that suit you. I cant tell you how many time a medic would start shooting me at 50+ meters only to get blasted in seconds. My record on highest infantry kills was with medic, my highest SPM and k/d is on medic because I know how to use it properly.

Reviving is also a thing you must learn. Most medics and people who are waiting for medics are hilariously stupid. You see a guy laying in an open field after getting shot by a tank, and he expects me to run 100 meters to him? Lol no. Same for stupid medics - they see you somewhere bleeding out, and they don't even bother being careful of their surroundings, no. They blinding run towards you just to get killed.
  • MarxistDictator
    5005 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    There's no real need to be a medic unless you really want to revive blue people. Having health would mean more if there weren't boxes for it everywhere.
    Medic requires skill and tactics to play. Over 90% of BF playerbase lacks both of those things.

Yeah it involves positioning, something that does not otherwise exist in game.
  • MrCamp121
    stiny1838 wrote: »

point blank is a ohk with either ammo for shotgun in center mass. as for the smoke try to co-ordinate with your squad to put ap mines in smoke or smoke the mined area it's far more enjoyable when you hear the ping and a squad goes down. ;)

And thats my point. Its SUPPOSED to be OHK with a shotgun out to a certain range, but sometimes it seems it isnt...hence my experience from yesterday on xbox.. The M1897 especially. Still, fun to use shotguns compared to BF1 Lol

Unfortunately all of my bf1 contacts gave up on BF5, so i roll solo and nobody really uses mics on xbox that ive come across so coordination is a seldom commodity lol
  • MrCamp121
    GrumbleSG9 wrote: »
    That hasn't been my experience playing on Xbox.

Once in a blue moon there's a shortage of medics but for the most part, the majority of rounds I've played had a reasonable breakdown of classes given the map/mode and the situations faced in-game.

Whilst medic seems to have a bad rep in BFV, it's a class that can hold its own … unless it's up against a tank and even then, smokes and "Run Away" is a valid tactic. Even up against a long range weapon, smokes and close the gap or again "Run Away!"

In modes like Breakthrough and Rush, Medics are invaluable. In Conquest, it depends on the squad make-up and what map is being played - having a medic in the squad with the quicker revive time and their flinging bandages can have a massive impact on successfully attacking or defending a flag. They also dominate in TDM and Domination.

IMO, it seems to be a very under-rated class in BFV but thankfully, on Xbox from what I've played, many players still utilise it.

Same. I see medics everywhere on xbox. Some are terrible, some are good. Some are tactical, some are blind mice running through a hayfield. My most fun round was 88-14 as a medic with over 20k points on conquest. If that was pc the hackusations would be intolerable.

Medic is far more underappreciated in 5 relative to 1. Yeah the weapons dont have the range, so use a lower rof weapon. The amount of times ive popped smoke and just stood there off to the side while the guys chasing me follow me through it only for me to unload on them is hilarious.

Dont bring a knife to a gunfight. Dont use an smg in SLR distances, pick your fights, and its fun
  • stiny1838
    stiny1838 wrote: »

And thats my point. Its SUPPOSED to be OHK with a shotgun out to a certain range, but sometimes it seems it isnt...hence my experience from yesterday on xbox.. The M1897 especially. Still, fun to use shotguns compared to BF1 Lol

Unfortunately all of my bf1 contacts gave up on BF5, so i roll solo and nobody really uses mics on xbox that ive come across so coordination is a seldom commodity lol

the mic situation is the same on ps4 too the only thing you hear is noisy eaters, ragers, crappy music or people that speak a different language.
  • KPNuts74
    642 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Medic is easily my strongest class