Battlefield is famous for integrated infantry and vehicle gameplay. While I am glad that we don't have a Car Royale like H1Z1, the vehicles feel far from Firestorm meta.
I recognise that tanks need to be balanced, and should not guarantee a win, however currently it feels they are overbalanced. Let me explain.ProblemsBunkers
- ˜60 second animation to open bunker with sirens
- Vehicles are not fully fuelled
- Spare ammo is scarce
- I secured a Churchill Crocodile in the quarry pit, no spare fuel nearby, by the time I'd made it out, I had ran out of fuel
- Separating driver and turret seats leads to indirect nerfs on your squad, meaning fewer people are available for a firefight, despite the fact the tank in itself is arguably less powerful than a single infantry player. Furthermore on console if you are the sole operator in solo or squads, you have to cycle through the bow gunner and top gunner seats to return to the driver seat. It is clumsy and heavily nerfs the tank operator's capabilities to the point that a tank is worth less than even a mediocre equipped infantry player.
- No self-repair is fine, however when people can carry 6 panzerfausts, AT/ Sticky grenades, AT grenade pistols & AT mines, this is problematic
- Splash damage feels reduced, I noticed this especially with the Pz. IV with KwK 40 which should do 112 within 1.3m
- Scarcity of ammunition is excessive, especially given the limited availability of resupplies
- Fuel is seldom found, but other times found in huge quantities; lacks consistency
- Separating light and heavy ammunition leads to the same issues as above
- Third person view is another nerf, which compounds other balancing issues, despite being ok in theory.
- If you die, you die, as such other squad members don't want to be in your vehicle, and why would they?
- A panzerfaust is doing 33 damage to the turrets, side & rear of the light tanks, and decent damage to medium tanks, meaning after taking two hits in a light tank, or one more in a medium you have to bail... When people. typically carry 6, this is problematic.
- Anti-tank equipment is far more abundant than fuel or vehicle ammunition, in fact it feels more abundant than even body armour, especially late game.
All in all, while we cannot allow the meta to be dominated by tanks, they seem to be out of place in this game mode. They should either be improved or removed. Currently they are far more frustrating than rewarding.
I speak from experience, I am one of the top tank players in BFV, yet even I find it far easier to win games as an infantry player, in fact I do not even bother with tanks, despite them being my most played and successful class by a mile in multiplayer play.