This Week in Battlefield V

#MakeSnipersGreatAgain - How to fix BF 5 scoped Air guns

Comments

• mf_shro0m
    1457 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    One_Called_Kane said:

Hawxxeye said:

TheFightin said:

Dice went back to old school mentality with recon. If your just going to take potshots at people be prepared to be useless and at the bottom of the scoreboard. Don't think this wasn't intended.

What oldshcool mentality? The velocity of the rifles in bf1942 was almost of hitscan level. 2000m/s with no drop, do you understand what that means?

When you start making the bolt actions OHK to the chest at 20m or more
    you may as well remove shotguns from the game. Personally I feel that a
    damage boost to the levels of BF2 (high damage, never OHK to a full-HP
    target) would probably be fine, especially in light of the attrition
    mechanics.

Yes, i agree. Much more damage(95) and much less time to switch to a sidearm should make sniping an PTFO viable.

As for the different types of ammo, i an in favor of many types of "variants" to use in your sniper.
    - One "light bullet" with fastest possible speed and high drag, good for moving targets at medium range
    - One armor piercing bullet like K-bullet on bf 1
    - One with low drag but low initial speed
    - One explosive(used on eastern front)
    (...)

As for ammo IRL, a .30-06 rifle with very low weight(110 grains) can fire a projectile at 3471 fps(1057m) - source apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a570469.pdf

Even if BAs dealt 95 they still wouldn’t be able to ptfo. If a dude with a BA runs in multiple hostiles he won’t stand a chance. What’s he gonna do, shoot one round with the BA and then try to finish both off with a pistol?

In any case the damage drop off for pistols starts at like 8m and so whilst it’d be viable at super close range, what about at 30-60? A dude with a BA would either need to land two follow up shots with a pistol after switching to it, or land two BA rounds (so the same as now).

So what would end up happening if BAs dealt 95 at super close range is that some more BA holding dudes will try to engage at super close range, practically CQC distance (which is really annoying regardless of which side you’re on), and the rest will still have to stay away because it’ll just be the same old thing at distances past 20m

So basically BAs would either have the fight where medics currently fight or stay away like they do now. It’s really not helpful
  • Hawxxeye
    5542 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    About 10 "snipers", scout/recon and sniper are two different things.

This is why I get ticked off by posters or people on chat who count recons/scouts on the scoreboard and assume them to be snipers.
    In the last few days I have been leveling the lee enfield just because I wanted to and I would use the spawn beacon to keep attacking the enemies from flanking position not that far from them and often I would also go Leroy Jenkins at them with the flares to assist me which even caused some funny hipfire headshot kills for some enemies that I caught from behind looking the other way or sometimes charging at me.
  • One_Called_Kane
    191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Speed is a very interesting factor. See, a 14.5x114mm round can pierce 40mm of stell reinforced armor, the same penetration of an old 37mm cannon. Why? Because an 14.5x114mm is very fast, reaching 1100 m/s. What effectively defeats armor is speed. 
    Kind of, velocity is only a part of it. For two projectiles of the same diameter and material composition the balance between weight, velocity and the ballistic coefficient is what helps determine penetration. Velocity and speed determine the projectile's kinetic energy and the coefficient determines how long it can retain it. Low weight projectiles rely heavily on their speed to make up their KE and so lose a lot of power as the range increases which is why the bullets used by snipers tend to be heavy and efficient rather than light and fast.

And about armor piercing, anti tank rifles was what defeated blitzkrieg on eastern front. Hell, more PTRD-1941 was produced( almost 500.000  PTRD-41 ) than STG 44 ( 425,977 StG_44 ). On H&G i can use PzB 39 and PTRD 1941. On BF 5 no anti tank rifle exist. 
    I'm curious why you think this is the case. There are a lot of reasons why the Russians defeated the Germans but laying the credit for that at the feet of the AT rifle is one I haven't heard before. As for the production numbers that is more a testament to how many StGs the Germans were able to produce in a short time than anything.

I talked to a hunter in Argentina, he said that even with a low weight bullet, he managed to kill an boar with one shot wit a .30-06 rifle and that the drop is negligible at 250m I really recommend visit the cold mountains of Patagonia but that is another discussion.
    I believe him, at that range it only drops about 6 inches and even a low-weight (for boar probably ~125gr) still hits plenty hard. The 30-06 is really a terrific round and I'm excited to see what it will look like in BFV. Also that is beautiful country, indeed.
  • One_Called_Kane
    191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    y_j_es_i said:

Even if BAs dealt 95 they still wouldn’t be able to ptfo. If a dude with a BA runs in multiple hostiles he won’t stand a chance. What’s he gonna do, shoot one round with the BA and then try to finish both off with a pistol?

In any case the damage drop off for pistols starts at like 8m and so whilst it’d be viable at super close range, what about at 30-60? A dude with a BA would either need to land two follow up shots with a pistol after switching to it, or land two BA rounds (so the same as now).

So what would end up happening if BAs dealt 95 at super close range is that some more BA holding dudes will try to engage at super close range, practically CQC distance (which is really annoying regardless of which side you’re on), and the rest will still have to stay away because it’ll just be the same old thing at distances past 20m

So basically BAs would either have the fight where medics currently fight or stay away like they do now. It’s really not helpful
    Being at a disadvantage running into multiple hostiles is not a situation unique to the Scout class. If a dude with a G43 runs into multiple hostiles he doesn't stand much of a chance either. Improved bodyshot damage and pistol swap speed makes it so Scouts have a way to defend themselves against a single enemy that doesn't depend on that enemy missing shots.

I think you're missing the point, this isn't about making the bolt actions viable at <30m. Snipers shouldn't be a short range class. Even with a 95 damage model the bodyshot-pistol combo isn't a sure thing. If you aren't a part of that top 5% skill bracket, if you want to get stuck in as Recon use an SLR (these need their own balance pass, but that's another can of worms). The higher damage model is there to make your BTK more consistent at all ranges while possibly helping you at close quarters in a pinch. It's not so you can seek out targets at point blank with your scoped shotgun.

To be perfectly honest, not every weapon is viable on every map. If you choose to run around with a shotgun on Hamada or Pzstorm you accept that you are going to be at a disadvantage in the majority of your engagements. Bolt action rifles are no different, and if you insist on using a sniper rifle in a match where you are constantly getting into CQC you need to understand that you are deliberately choosing to handicap yourself.
  • Kunstula
    421 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited April 18
    y_j_es_i said:

Higher damage will make the scout more useful when he only managed to land 1 body hit. If targets get away with 10 to 20 health instead of 45, then they need more time to heal and are easier to finish off.  55 damage is too low, as this will leave targets who've been hit once with just +10 health to heal before they can take another body hit and survive. That situation is not rare, because you always start with 1 medic pouch plus you can heal immediately after taking damage plus healing is pretty fast and medic crates are also available in plenty of places.

Balancing all weapons around body hits, but just 1 weapon class around headshots is never going to be balanced, which is exactly what the problem is now.

• MarxistDictator
    4907 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    y_j_es_i said:

Being at a disadvantage running into multiple hostiles is not a situation unique to the Scout class. If a dude with a G43 runs into multiple hostiles he doesn't stand much of a chance either. Improved bodyshot damage and pistol swap speed makes it so Scouts have a way to defend themselves against a single enemy that doesn't depend on that enemy missing shots.

I think you're missing the point, this isn't about making the bolt actions viable at <30m. Snipers shouldn't be a short range class. Even with a 95 damage model the bodyshot-pistol combo isn't a sure thing. If you aren't a part of that top 5% skill bracket, if you want to get stuck in as Recon use an SLR (these need their own balance pass, but that's another can of worms). The higher damage model is there to make your BTK more consistent at all ranges while possibly helping you at close quarters in a pinch. It's not so you can seek out targets at point blank with your scoped shotgun.
    To be perfectly honest, not every weapon is viable on every map. If you choose to run around with a shotgun on Hamada or Pzstorm you accept that you are going to be at a disadvantage in the majority of your engagements. Bolt action rifles are no different, and if you insist on using a sniper rifle in a match where you are constantly getting into CQC you need to understand that you are deliberately choosing to handicap yourself.

Yeah but this is where they claim that you need to 'ptfo' as scout and thus should have a CQB niche for whatever balance reason that isn't.
  • -L-M3rc3n4ry
    523 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    y_j_es_i said:
    (...)

(...)
    With fast time to switch to sidearm and good sidearms, this is possible. But very hard. Not only one class has this disadvantage. An guy with an G43 will have the same problem.

On Hawxxeye said:
    About 10 "snipers", scout/recon and sniper are two different things.

This is why I get ticked off by posters or people on chat who count recons/scouts on the scoreboard and assume them to be snipers.
    In the last few days I have been leveling the lee enfield just because I wanted to and I would use the spawn beacon to keep attacking the enemies from flanking position not that far from them and often I would also go Leroy Jenkins at them with the flares to assist me which even caused some funny hipfire headshot kills for some enemies that I caught from behind looking the other way or sometimes charging at me.
    Yes, i saw an guy who posted an video showing "how awful is to play with 12 snipers", but if you look to kill feed in the video that he posted, nobody was using snipers.

Not everybody that play as a sniper is at hill with 8x+ scope. Also, about OHK, on bf 1 even pistols(obrez pistol) and shotgun + slugs can OHK. So, i don't see any problem with Martini OHKilling. One shot each 5 seconds, it needs to be deadly.

(...)Kind of, velocity is only a part of it. For two projectiles of the same diameter and material composition the balance between weight, velocity and the ballistic coefficient is what helps determine penetration. Velocity and speed determine the projectile's kinetic energy and the coefficient determines how long it can retain it. Low weight projectiles rely heavily on their speed to make up their KE and so lose a lot of power as the range increases which is why the bullets used by snipers tend to be heavy and efficient rather than light and fast.

(...)I'm curious why you think this is the case. There are a lot of reasons why the Russians defeated the Germans but laying the credit for that at the feet of the AT rifle is one I haven't heard before. As for the production numbers that is more a testament to how many StGs the Germans were able to produce in a short time than anything.

(...)I believe him, at that range it only drops about 6 inches and even a low-weight (for boar probably ~125gr) still hits plenty hard. The 30-06 is really a terrific round and I'm excited to see what it will look like in BFV. Also that is beautiful country, indeed.
    Yes, i exaggerated about the importance of PTRD, probably T34 was more important. But PTRD still one of many factors, and still an iconic WW2 weapon that even today is used against armored vehicles(not main battle tanks). But about the ballistic coefficient, material, etc are very important in defeating armor too. About low drag, low drag only start to excel at 400m+, considering that except in few maps, most engagements, even the sniper VS counter sniper engagement are not far above 150m, i don't think that low drag ammo wold be useful on BF5.

Look to BF 1, the Gw 98 has the highest speed(880 m/s) and the Springfield has .30-06 with extremely low drag and guess what. Even between snipers, mostp eople use the Gw 98 unless you are camping at base or in a hill very far away from any objective on conquest. Martini Henry is considered one of the best rifles exactly because has the sweetspot where most BF 1 engagement ranges happens. SMLE MKIII was the most popular rifle on consoles and doens't have low drag projectile.

I believe that recon/scout should be able to be an aggressive player, an medium range marksman and a long range sniper, if he choses. If they can only be an sniper, then they can only be played on conquest(since there are no Rush in BF 5) and even on conquest, they will help less than another class. BF 1 did it right IMO, you can use anything from a black powder single shot elephant hunter, to an lever action rifle, to an long range rifle with high optics.

Sure, an blackpowder rifle or a lever action rifle in WW2 game will not fit well, but if you look to BFBC2, is possible to use M1 Garand in a modern military game... Someone running BF V with an lever action .45-70 rifle will not be more immersion breaking than "afrocybernazis" that already exists on BF 5. Note that Germans had an very strict law by blood. Outsiders that joined in Germany before ww2, like Egon Albrecht Lemke(Luftwaffe iron cross ace Born in Curitiba - Brazil) and Richard Darre(Minister - Argentina), had his entire family searched to proof that they are German descendants by blood and thaty they don't have any Amerindian of African ancestry.

Sgt Enigma that was famous for BFBC2 montages, was back on bf 1. The FaZe clan that was famous by cod montages, did it for BF 1 and guess what. Whas the unique BF game that outsold cod.
  • Noodlesocks
    2874 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The way the De Isle carbine works the bolt is how the Enfield is supposed to look. Doesn't make you lose sight of the iron sights, taking full advantage of the faster rate of fire.
  • -L-M3rc3n4ry
    523 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The way the De Isle carbine works the bolt is how the Enfield is supposed to look. Doesn't make you lose sight of the iron sights, taking full advantage of the faster rate of fire.
    OMG. NEver used Enfield, but is true that not only has BB gun muzzle speed but also take an eternity to aim and deals soo little damage that needs 3 HK?

Anyway, the best medium range """sniper""" is the underbarel rifle in the shotgun and the long range, the MG 42. Ker98 is a bb gun compared to this weapons
  • mf_shro0m
    1457 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    y_j_es_i said:

@-L-M3rc3n4ry
    Of course being at a disadvantage isn’t unique to recons but the fact is that when I have a G43 I wouldn’t be so put off by the possibility of bumping into multiple hostiles that I just avoid close-medium combat.

So the G95 does 80 damage up to 25m, meaning that you can kill hostiles up to like 20-30m with one G95 round and a follow up shot with your pistol. So this the same scenario as if BAs did 95 damage up to 12m right?
    But, how many people with G95s have you seen stick with their squads?
    Literally the only person I’ve seen do that is Stoedeh and the G95 has other characteristics such as being clip loaded and having a decent ROF and 600m/s muzzle velocity that make it relatively well suited to sticking with your squad.

So what does this case study tell us?

This tells us that even if most/all BAs did 95 damage up close, no-one who isn’t in the elite 0.0001% would stick with their squads whilst using a BA because it’s not viable

Making it so that most BAs did 95 damage up close wouldn’t encourage players to stick with their squads. It’s biggest impact would be that recons who get snuck up on stand a better chance. Would this help gameplay?
    No it wouldn’t

@MarxistDictator
    The objective isn’t to give BAs a CQC niche, it’s to allow BAs to stick with their squads.
    Like I said, I’d be on them (even want them to because BA shotguns are f***ing annoying) making it so that chest shots from BAs are only OHK past 10 or 15m so they can’t be used like shotguns.

Making it so that BAs are OHK to the chest at 10-30m and 10-60m depending on the rifle damage would allow players using BAs to stick with their squads. It would still be very difficult to do and so only skilled players could do so viably.
  • mf_shro0m
    Kunstula wrote: »
    y_j_es_i said:Even if BAs dealt 95 they still wouldn’t be able to ptfo. If a dude with a BA runs in multiple hostiles he won’t stand a chance. What’s he gonna do, shoot one round with the BA and then try to finish both off with a pistol?

Higher damage will make the scout more useful when he only managed to land 1 body hit. If targets get away with 10 to 20 health instead of 45, then they need more time to heal and are easier to finish off.  55 damage is too low, as this will leave targets who've been hit once with just +10 health to heal before they can take another body hit and survive. That situation is not rare, because you always start with 1 medic pouch plus you can heal immediately after taking damage plus healing is pretty fast and medic crates are also available in plenty of places.
    Balancing all weapons around body hits, but just 1 weapon class around headshots is never going to be balanced, which is exactly what the problem is now.

How many players do you think would start sticking with their squads whilst using BAs because they’ll probably start getting a few more assists and help their team out if it means they’ll start dying a lot more?

Given the obsession over KD I don’t think many would. Would you agree?

So ultimately, will it make a difference to gameplay? Hardly
  • Hawxxeye
    5542 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    y_j_es_i said:
    Kunstula wrote: »
    y_j_es_i said:Even if BAs dealt 95 they still wouldn’t be able to ptfo. If a dude with a BA runs in multiple hostiles he won’t stand a chance. What’s he gonna do, shoot one round with the BA and then try to finish both off with a pistol?

How many players do you think would start sticking with their squads whilst using BAs because they’ll probably start getting a few more assists and help their team out if it means they’ll start dying a lot more?

I think it would make a significant difference. To make more of the recons participate in the fight properly the guns need to be better within reason and the stupid assignments that require camping as to not die need to go.
    Recon can be fun in the middle of a conflicted objective

• Z4gg0R
    32 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

I have played every Battlefield title since Battlefield 2, and my preferred class was/is Scout. Scout disadvantage in close to mid combat is encouraging camping and long range sniping, but there are aggressive scouts I know sometimes am one of them.

What made me love the class in previous titles was skill needed for a good shot which did not apply to any other class in Battlefield (adjusting range, predicting bullet drop and overtaking for moving targets, …).

The way I see it Scout class is getting worse in every following title. Scouts perks are getting weaker too (I remember mortar support or C4 what made everybody hate the Scouts).

Maps are huge, but I get the feeling that every new map design does not favor long range sniping anymore and sniping distances are getting shorter and shorter to the point that bullet drop will probably vanish from the game. Scope glare on the weapon make Scouts preferred targets, specially for LMG/MMG prone supports or Shotgun assaults with almost 0 bullet drop on weapons.

To deter Scout haters, I tend to play all classes and try to max unlock every weapon in every Battlefield title.

In BF 1 I used variable scopes and adjusted the distance always trying to move into weapons sweat spot zone, in BF V I do not bother with it and just correct the bullet drop on default scope settings. Scout class now seems to be tailored more for casual player no skill required playstyle.

The fact that Assault is my primary class now is making me a bit sad and nostalgic for old times.

• xKusagamix
    945 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 19
    No scope glint, sensor ball, mortar strike. I'm kinda miss Bad Company 2.

Even the recticle for some scopes are horrible to actually aim in BFV.
  • Hawxxeye
    edited April 19
    No scope glint, sensor ball, mortar strike. I'm kinda miss Bad Company 2.

Even the recticle for some scopes are horrible to actually aim in BFV.

I did not play BC2 but the recon of BF4 was really nice. They could opt out of slow long range weapons and grab full auto carbines or shotguns as well as TUGs/MAV/Sensor ball/SUV and freaking C4 explosives.
    The class had true versatility and did not felt like only a class that exists for spotting and sniping.
  • Kunstula
    421 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    y_j_es_i said:

That can't be helped, if players choose to be selfish then no amount of buff will ever change that. Or they would have to add very stringent mechanisms in the game to force scouts to PTO, but that seems highly unlikely to me. IMO Scouts that do not PTO and sit far away picking off enemies from a static position are already being rendered ineffective due to drag and scope glint.

My suggested changes would only really help those scouts that actively PTO, but in the current state scouts that want to PTO get the shaft due to their primary weapon lacking in damage and muzzle velocity.

• slappy323
    51 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Try aiming for the head. It gets me great results.
  • Hawxxeye
    slappy323 said:
    Too bad people wont stay still and instead move in erratic patterns most of the time (yes I have hit moving people on the head but it is the exception than  the rule). This is of course only a problem for the only weapon type that needs headshots to work
  • Noodlesocks
    2874 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    OMG. NEver used Enfield, but is true that not only has BB gun muzzle speed but also take an eternity to aim and deals soo little damage that needs 3 HK?

Anyway, the best medium range """sniper""" is the underbarel rifle in the shotgun and the long range, the MG 42. Ker98 is a bb gun compared to this weapons
    I've had a situation where it took 4 shots to kill with the Enfield. I assume it's intended to be an aggressive rifle but every time you work the bolt, the animation moves the gun away so you lose sight of your reticles. The Enfield was designed specifically so the user wouldn't have to move the gun away from the face to work the bolt. This is one of the reasons that the gun could be fired so rapidly.

Having been using the De Lisle, being able to keep your sights on target between shots has been a massive improvement over the Enfield in close range engagements.
  • Noodlesocks
    slappy323 said:
    Works great for every other class who can afford to miss shots too.