Is this game bent towards casual?

Comments

• BFB-LeCharybdis
    745 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Same as me having a game of footy with the lads on Sunday, If you're not being paid to play the game, then it and you are still casual.
  • von_Campenstein
    6565 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    WetFishDB said:
    Hmmm. It’s a tough one. I’d argue the TTK/TTD and visibility means it’s easier for casual players to get the odd kill through just being in the right place at the right time. A slower TTD would allow a more skilled player to react and potentially out aim them. The quick TTK means the recoil is rarely that influential as it doesn’t have time to build. So you could argue that the game helps them...

But by the same mechanics, casual players will get absolutely wrecked by experienced and skilled players. The same TTK that allows them to get the odd kill also absolutely wrecks them repeatedly.

I’d argue this game isn’t any more/less suitable to casual players. It just emphasises a different style of play (slower, more conservative/defensive, scoped).

I’ve seen even reasonably experienced (many days gameplay) players not find the game all that fun. I’ve had a few friends pick up BF for the first time and find it really unrewarding too. Personally I put that down to four things:

- Poor Visibility
    - TTK/TTD being too quick
    - Class imbalance
    - Attrition

The combination of those four makes the game really unrewarding for lots of players IMHO.

What it doesn't allow for is that extra time to process the situation and learn from it, improve your game and become something other than a casual who barely has their gadgets together.

• bigiain
    237 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think the series has always aimed to accommodate the more casual player who maybe only has time to play a couple of hours a week. There have always players who aren't contributing, I always go back to those guys on wookie mountain in BC2 who didn't seem to realise they couldn't see the m-com.

This game does seem in a bad state though with players who don't seem to have much idea what to do and aren't interested in the objective. The TTK/TTD and lack of spotting is making casuals super cautious. Map knowledge and awareness is what's important here and a lot of players seem too cautious to develop those. 

• ninjapenquinuk
    1761 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Isnt this issue - if it is one, partly to do with the fact the BF games have changed over the years.  Even the more recent ones have seen big changes. This leads to people liking different things. For instance i much prefer the BF2 days of no health regen and FF on for explosives, or the BF Vietnam days (original) of faction specific weapons. Where as the next guy or girl likes the auto taking of ammo/health from Hardline and all class weapons. I think part of the reason BFV is a bit of a mish mash is there are so many competing views on what a BF game should be and DICE have tried to please everyone but ended up pleasing no one group.  There is no casual group of  BF players v Core group.  Even us so called BF vets have vastly different views on what makes a great BF game.
  • GrinddalDDG
    393 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Oh no, if you ask all the gamechangers, the game is such a hardcore game now. and BF1 was for casuals. 

It's funny, when people get killed alot, they all of a sudden blame it on the game being casual.

All BF games from BC onwards were/are Casual.

Only the older titles like 2142, BF2 and 1942 were non casual.
  • GrizzGolf
    927 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Rex_Holez wrote: »
    The last BF in the series that wasn't geared towards casuals was 2142. 
    Would kill for 2142 on frostbite. After the first few patches it was quite balanced yet could still be perceived as asymmetrical. Someone go get me my Voss

I'm surprised they never did some HD remaster of it. 

• Agente_Silva
    158 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Battlefield has always been catered to the "casual" gamer.

There isn't much in terms of competitive gameplay in the BF series,  3 seems decent enough to lean into the competitive area.

BF1 had that incursions but I don't think there are servers for it anymore.

It seems the term "enthusiast" is missing here which would include a large amount of players who fall in between casual and competitive...
  • Skitelz7
    923 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    MBT_Layzan wrote: »
    I think it is, and are we happy about that?

It is and I'm not happy at all because they said before release that this Battlefield game would be returning to the more hardcore roots.
    Whatever the hell happened to that...
    No wonder the game is dying.
    Say one thing, do another.
    Gamers (most) aren't dumb.
  • Skitelz7
    923 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Game is such a mish mash of design concepts that I'm not even sure if Dice Sweden knows the answer.

This.
    They remove spotting and add attrition but then add spotting flares and spotting scopes.
    I think DICE is completely lost more than anything.
  • Skitelz7
    As has been said, all games are geared toward casuals. It's literally a video game whereby one assumes control of little army men and plays war.

Insurgency, Escape from Tarkov, Arma 3 would all like a word.
  • Vycinas2
    932 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Skitelz7 wrote: »
    Game is such a mish mash of design concepts that I'm not even sure if Dice Sweden knows the answer.

This.
    They remove spotting and add attrition but then add spotting flares and spotting scopes.

Not really. Spotting flares and scope can make useless scout somewhat useful. I get it you re an easy core (my apologies hardcore) lover. I cant remember when was the last time I looked at mini map to benefit from someone being spotted (perhaps BC2, maybe BF3), because I purely rely on audio on my headset. Does it make a difference if you re spotted ? Yes if you are bad at 1v1, not if you can win your gunfights.

Dice is lost what they want this game to be, attrition, spotting has nothing to do with it.
  • Skitelz7
    Vycinas2 wrote: »
    Skitelz7 wrote: »

This.

Not really. Spotting flares and scope can make useless scout somewhat useful. I get it you re an easy core (my apologies hardcore) lover. I cant remember when was the last time I looked at mini map to benefit from someone being spotted (perhaps BC2, maybe BF3), because I purely rely on audio on my headset. Does it make a difference if you re spotted ? Yes if you are bad at 1v1, not if you can win your gunfights.

Dice is lost what they want this game to be, attrition, spotting has nothing to do with it.

Spotting has everything to do with it.
    What good is it if I'm better than the other guy when he can shoot up a spotting flare, see my position and come up behind me for a kill without me ever knowing he was there?
    Good luck hearing footsteps with all the gunshots and explosion around.
    I think they should have removed EVERY kind of spotting. Minimap and 3D.
    Spotting is there to help casual players do better. Period.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2711 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Can someone in this thread actually tell me what makes it 'casual"?
  • Skitelz7

-spotting flares
    -spotting scopes
    -suppression spoting
    -vehicle gadget/specialization spotting
    -third person camera on vehicles
    -vehicle self repair
    -death cam showing your killer's location
    -vehicle spawn mechanic
    And the list goes on.
  • GRAW2ROBZ
    1247 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    WetFishDB said:
    Hmmm. It’s a tough one. I’d argue the TTK/TTD and visibility means it’s easier for casual players to get the odd kill through just being in the right place at the right time. A slower TTD would allow a more skilled player to react and potentially out aim them. The quick TTK means the recoil is rarely that influential as it doesn’t have time to build. So you could argue that the game helps them...

But by the same mechanics, casual players will get absolutely wrecked by experienced and skilled players. The same TTK that allows them to get the odd kill also absolutely wrecks them repeatedly.

I’d argue this game isn’t any more/less suitable to casual players. It just emphasises a different style of play (slower, more conservative/defensive, scoped).

I’ve seen even reasonably experienced (many days gameplay) players not find the game all that fun. I’ve had a few friends pick up BF for the first time and find it really unrewarding too. Personally I put that down to four things:

- Poor Visibility
    - TTK/TTD being too quick
    - Class imbalance
    - Attrition

The combination of those four makes the game really unrewarding for lots of players IMHO.
    I almost prefer a faster TTK.  Hardline ya can mow a ton of guys down fast with a clip.  Now this game you almost lucky to get two kills with a clip using burst fire only and not full auto.  Heck Bad Company 2 with M60 I could get squad wipe after squad wipe.  Heck I still use the M60 even after DICE nerfed it twice.  I got over 10,000 kills just with M60 on Bad Company 2.  I hate shooters that have long drawn out gun fights.  They bore me.  Reason I barely play Halo or Gears of war.
  • WetFishDB
    1974 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I can’t speak for others, but I equate casuals broadly to the following persona...

Someone who picks the game up every now and then, play a round or two, mess about a bit, and then potentially leaves it on a shelf for the rest of the week. They tend to play a bit more relaxed, sitting at the sofa on their lounge TV and wouldn’t dream of bothering with a headset. They’ve maybe got a handful of online friends, one of which may even play this game from time to time.

That’s at least what I’m thinking of as a ‘casual’ player.

• GRAW2ROBZ
    1247 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 16
    WetFishDB said:

I can’t speak for others, but I equate casuals broadly to the following persona...

Someone who picks the game up every now and then, play a round or two, mess about a bit, and then potentially leaves it on a shelf for the rest of the week. They tend to play a bit more relaxed, sitting at the sofa on their lounge TV and wouldn’t dream of bothering with a headset. They’ve maybe got a handful of online friends, one of which may even play this game from time to time.

That’s at least what I’m thinking of as a ‘casual’ player.

Friends come and go this generation gaming .  Last gen people begged me to delete a inactive friend to add them instead.  Now seems with people in private chats or barely uses mics.  Hard to actually muster up conversations or new decent friends these days.

Heck last night I posted on my XBOX1 wall......"Spring cleaning time for friends list.  If we barely game or chat you gone.  To many lamo's playing crap I don't own."  That was end of the night after plenty of beers.  hahahahahah  Down to 47 friends.  But now I know all of them.  The rest were like one hit wonders added me after a win on Rainbow Six Siege then they never join up any other days.

I use to have like 400 friends on XBOX1 like first year I had it.  But I been trimming it down each year.  But this day and age to many games and everyone has different tastes.  Isn't like XBOX 360 everyone was almost playing the same games on my friends lists.  Now this gen its all different.  I go solo a lot on BF5 cause I back out after my favorite map is over and have to add new assignments every so often as well.

Also there's some weirdo's trying to add me through the years on XBOX1.  They have no games but constantly adding people.  I think them are scammers.  Be careful of them.