Is this game bent towards casual?

Comments

  • Skitelz7
    923 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 16
    Trokey66 wrote: »
    Skitelz7 wrote: »
    Can someone in this thread actually tell me what makes it 'casual"?

    -spotting flares
    -spotting scopes
    -suppression spoting
    -vehicle gadget/specialization spotting
    -third person camera on vehicles
    -vehicle self repair
    -death cam showing your killer's location
    -vehicle spawn mechanic
    And the list goes on.

    So what you saying is all previous iterations were more 'casual' then?

    From bad company forward, yes.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2717 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Skitelz7 said:
    Can someone in this thread actually tell me what makes it 'casual"?

    -spotting flares
    -spotting scopes
    -suppression spoting
    -vehicle gadget/specialization spotting
    -third person camera on vehicles
    -vehicle self repair
    -death cam showing your killer's location
    -vehicle spawn mechanic
    And the list goes on.
    So that makes BF5 the least casual game in recent times then.
  • Trokey66
    8176 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Skitelz7 wrote: »
    Trokey66 wrote: »
    Skitelz7 wrote: »
    Can someone in this thread actually tell me what makes it 'casual"?

    -spotting flares
    -spotting scopes
    -suppression spoting
    -vehicle gadget/specialization spotting
    -third person camera on vehicles
    -vehicle self repair
    -death cam showing your killer's location
    -vehicle spawn mechanic
    And the list goes on.

    So what you saying is all previous iterations were more 'casual' then?

    From bad company forward, yes.

    Not what I asked.
  • maskedocelot
    144 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    bigiain said:
    This game does seem in a bad state though with players who don't seem to have much idea what to do and aren't interested in the objective. The TTK/TTD and lack of spotting is making casuals super cautious. Map knowledge and awareness is what's important here and a lot of players seem too cautious to develop those. 



    That was my read too, people just seem too scared to move at times. With spotting you can genuinely see players around you changing their behaviour and being more willing to get involved but it's less prevalent in bf5 than 1, it's also the only/easiest form of communication I have on PS4.

    I think BF1/3/4 was a lot more casual friendly as the longer TTK makes it easier to stay alive/engage multiple enemies and people can drop in and drop out and feel like they did something, with bf5 TTK it can feel like you need backup just to stay alive, so I would guess people who play less often would have a harder time getting kills, never mind anything else.

    I enjoy the game and wouldn't change it, but it looks like some people who only played bf1 got a bit of a shock at the difference, although if people do stop being cautious they should find it plays pretty much the same.
  • TFBisquit
    1356 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's a casual game with casual quality of servers running it. I feel this explains some of the gripes people have with visibility, lack of spotting and TTK.
    Then gamemodes all look and play similar, on the same set of maps. A while back I was amazed by posts about getting bored, I felt there was plenty to do in this game, whether one likes the game or not. But now I also find it repetitive, no real feeling of accomplishing anything after a round. It's becoming stale.
  • maskedocelot
    144 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    bigiain said:
    This game does seem in a bad state though with players who don't seem to have much idea what to do and aren't interested in the objective. The TTK/TTD and lack of spotting is making casuals super cautious. Map knowledge and awareness is what's important here and a lot of players seem too cautious to develop those. 



    That was my read too, people just seem too scared to move at times. With spotting you can genuinely see players around you changing their behaviour and being more willing to get involved but it's less prevalent in bf5 than 1, it's also the only/easiest form of communication I have on PS4.

    I think BF1/3/4 was a lot more casual friendly as the longer TTK makes it easier to stay alive/engage multiple enemies and people can drop in and drop out and feel like they did something, with bf5 TTK it can feel like you need backup just to stay alive, so I would guess people who play less often would have a harder time getting kills, never mind anything else.

    I enjoy the game and wouldn't change it, but it looks like some people who only played bf1 got a bit of a shock at the difference, although if people do stop being cautious they should find it plays pretty much the same.
  • GrinddalDDG
    393 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 17
    And no, the fast ttk and cod like twitch gunplay of Hardline is not non casual. It is just a different playstyle.
  • Skitelz7
    923 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Skitelz7 said:


    YourLocalPlumber wrote: »
    Can someone in this thread actually tell me what makes it 'casual"?



    -spotting flares

    -spotting scopes

    -suppression spoting

    -vehicle gadget/specialization spotting

    -third person camera on vehicles

    -vehicle self repair

    -death cam showing your killer's location

    -vehicle spawn mechanic

    And the list goes on.

    So that makes BF5 the least casual game in recent times then.

    Yes, in a sense. But being less casual is still being casual.
    The problem is that DICE wants to please both sides and that never works. You have to go one way or the other, otherwise all you will have left is this mess of a game that doesn't know what it wants to be.
  • Skitelz7
    923 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Vycinas2 wrote: »
    Skitelz7 wrote: »
    Vycinas2 wrote: »
    Skitelz7 wrote: »
    Game is such a mish mash of design concepts that I'm not even sure if Dice Sweden knows the answer.

    This.
    They remove spotting and add attrition but then add spotting flares and spotting scopes.
    I think DICE is completely lost more than anything.

    Not really. Spotting flares and scope can make useless scout somewhat useful. I get it you re an easy core (my apologies hardcore) lover. I cant remember when was the last time I looked at mini map to benefit from someone being spotted (perhaps BC2, maybe BF3), because I purely rely on audio on my headset. Does it make a difference if you re spotted ? Yes if you are bad at 1v1, not if you can win your gunfights.

    Dice is lost what they want this game to be, attrition, spotting has nothing to do with it.

    Spotting has everything to do with it.
    What good is it if I'm better than the other guy when he can shoot up a spotting flare, see my position and come up behind me for a kill without me ever knowing he was there?
    Good luck hearing footsteps with all the gunshots and explosion around.
    I think they should have removed EVERY kind of spotting. Minimap and 3D.
    Spotting is there to help casual players do better. Period.

    Oh dear lord.... if you allow someone to shoot a flare and come behind you then I suggest you do some exercise. I am a casual because I have very little time for gaming but even so I could easily destroy you if they introduced easy core mode. And I am not attacking you or stat bashing just telling you, you are a part of that casual crowd. I am and many others are better than you regardless of what mechanics game has to offer, just like you are better than me in.. hmmm being stationary ? However if you wish to stop blaming the game mechanics for your deaths I suggest you follow 3 simple steps:

    1. Learn
    2. Adapt
    3. Overcome

    If I allow someone to shoot a flare? Am I supposed to predict he's going to shoot one, go up to him and ask him not to do it?
    Don't kid yourself.
  • GrinddalDDG
    393 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 17
    I think people are confusing non casual with try hard.


  • MachoFantast1c0
    2015 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Skitelz7 said:
    Vycinas2 wrote: »
    Skitelz7 wrote: »
    Vycinas2 wrote: »
    Skitelz7 wrote: »
    Game is such a mish mash of design concepts that I'm not even sure if Dice Sweden knows the answer.

    This.
    They remove spotting and add attrition but then add spotting flares and spotting scopes.
    I think DICE is completely lost more than anything.

    Not really. Spotting flares and scope can make useless scout somewhat useful. I get it you re an easy core (my apologies hardcore) lover. I cant remember when was the last time I looked at mini map to benefit from someone being spotted (perhaps BC2, maybe BF3), because I purely rely on audio on my headset. Does it make a difference if you re spotted ? Yes if you are bad at 1v1, not if you can win your gunfights.

    Dice is lost what they want this game to be, attrition, spotting has nothing to do with it.

    Spotting has everything to do with it.
    What good is it if I'm better than the other guy when he can shoot up a spotting flare, see my position and come up behind me for a kill without me ever knowing he was there?
    Good luck hearing footsteps with all the gunshots and explosion around.
    I think they should have removed EVERY kind of spotting. Minimap and 3D.
    Spotting is there to help casual players do better. Period.

    Oh dear lord.... if you allow someone to shoot a flare and come behind you then I suggest you do some exercise. I am a casual because I have very little time for gaming but even so I could easily destroy you if they introduced easy core mode. And I am not attacking you or stat bashing just telling you, you are a part of that casual crowd. I am and many others are better than you regardless of what mechanics game has to offer, just like you are better than me in.. hmmm being stationary ? However if you wish to stop blaming the game mechanics for your deaths I suggest you follow 3 simple steps:

    1. Learn
    2. Adapt
    3. Overcome

    If I allow someone to shoot a flare? Am I supposed to predict he's going to shoot one, go up to him and ask him not to do it?
    Don't kid yourself.
    It sounds as if you are not aware that they are trivial to shoot down. To the point of being generally not all that useful against competent opponents.
  • Vycinas2
    932 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Skitelz7 said:


    Vycinas2 wrote: »


    Skitelz7 wrote: »


    Vycinas2 wrote: »


    Skitelz7 wrote: »


    Noodlesocks wrote: »
    Game is such a mish mash of design concepts that I'm not even sure if Dice Sweden knows the answer.



    This.

    They remove spotting and add attrition but then add spotting flares and spotting scopes.

    I think DICE is completely lost more than anything.



    Not really. Spotting flares and scope can make useless scout somewhat useful. I get it you re an easy core (my apologies hardcore) lover. I cant remember when was the last time I looked at mini map to benefit from someone being spotted (perhaps BC2, maybe BF3), because I purely rely on audio on my headset. Does it make a difference if you re spotted ? Yes if you are bad at 1v1, not if you can win your gunfights.



    Dice is lost what they want this game to be, attrition, spotting has nothing to do with it.



    Spotting has everything to do with it.

    What good is it if I'm better than the other guy when he can shoot up a spotting flare, see my position and come up behind me for a kill without me ever knowing he was there?

    Good luck hearing footsteps with all the gunshots and explosion around.

    I think they should have removed EVERY kind of spotting. Minimap and 3D.

    Spotting is there to help casual players do better. Period.



    Oh dear lord.... if you allow someone to shoot a flare and come behind you then I suggest you do some exercise. I am a casual because I have very little time for gaming but even so I could easily destroy you if they introduced easy core mode. And I am not attacking you or stat bashing just telling you, you are a part of that casual crowd. I am and many others are better than you regardless of what mechanics game has to offer, just like you are better than me in.. hmmm being stationary ? However if you wish to stop blaming the game mechanics for your deaths I suggest you follow 3 simple steps:



    1. Learn

    2. Adapt

    3. Overcome



    If I allow someone to shoot a flare? Am I supposed to predict he's going to shoot one, go up to him and ask him not to do it?

    Don't kid yourself.

    It sounds as if you are not aware that they are trivial to shoot down. To the point of being generally not all that useful against competent opponents.

    I dont think he knows anything, types like bush humping blueberries anyway.
  • rockin_master
    373 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Casual? The game is a flat out bore, tiring and monotonous. It plays like Tic-Tac-Toe. Over and over and over.

    The game isn't casual, it's comatose.
  • Skitelz7
    923 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Skitelz7 said:


    Vycinas2 wrote: »


    Skitelz7 wrote: »


    Vycinas2 wrote: »


    Skitelz7 wrote: »


    Noodlesocks wrote: »
    Game is such a mish mash of design concepts that I'm not even sure if Dice Sweden knows the answer.



    This.

    They remove spotting and add attrition but then add spotting flares and spotting scopes.

    I think DICE is completely lost more than anything.



    Not really. Spotting flares and scope can make useless scout somewhat useful. I get it you re an easy core (my apologies hardcore) lover. I cant remember when was the last time I looked at mini map to benefit from someone being spotted (perhaps BC2, maybe BF3), because I purely rely on audio on my headset. Does it make a difference if you re spotted ? Yes if you are bad at 1v1, not if you can win your gunfights.



    Dice is lost what they want this game to be, attrition, spotting has nothing to do with it.



    Spotting has everything to do with it.

    What good is it if I'm better than the other guy when he can shoot up a spotting flare, see my position and come up behind me for a kill without me ever knowing he was there?

    Good luck hearing footsteps with all the gunshots and explosion around.

    I think they should have removed EVERY kind of spotting. Minimap and 3D.

    Spotting is there to help casual players do better. Period.



    Oh dear lord.... if you allow someone to shoot a flare and come behind you then I suggest you do some exercise. I am a casual because I have very little time for gaming but even so I could easily destroy you if they introduced easy core mode. And I am not attacking you or stat bashing just telling you, you are a part of that casual crowd. I am and many others are better than you regardless of what mechanics game has to offer, just like you are better than me in.. hmmm being stationary ? However if you wish to stop blaming the game mechanics for your deaths I suggest you follow 3 simple steps:



    1. Learn

    2. Adapt

    3. Overcome



    If I allow someone to shoot a flare? Am I supposed to predict he's going to shoot one, go up to him and ask him not to do it?

    Don't kid yourself.

    It sounds as if you are not aware that they are trivial to shoot down. To the point of being generally not all that useful against competent opponents.

    By the time you spot it and shoot it down it has already marked you and you whole squad. Your point is completely dull.
    Try again.
  • GRAW2ROBZ
    1297 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have no problem seeing enemies.  Heck i'm cracking plenty of beers in the meantime as well.  Only time i'm killed is a LMG guy hiding behind debris or a tank blasting me a mile away.  Or a sniper standing way back behind a window.  Or a flyboy bombing me.  Or I pushed to fast and its a 1 vs 3 or 4 and no cover to hide quickly.  I'm medic most of the time and I hold my own with the Sten.  Reason I mainly like to only play conquest on Fjell,Devastation and Twisted Steel.  Best to stay away from the other wide open maps.
  • Vycinas2
    932 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Skitelz7 wrote: »
    Skitelz7 said:


    Vycinas2 wrote: »


    Skitelz7 wrote: »


    Vycinas2 wrote: »


    Skitelz7 wrote: »


    Noodlesocks wrote: »
    Game is such a mish mash of design concepts that I'm not even sure if Dice Sweden knows the answer.



    This.

    They remove spotting and add attrition but then add spotting flares and spotting scopes.

    I think DICE is completely lost more than anything.



    Not really. Spotting flares and scope can make useless scout somewhat useful. I get it you re an easy core (my apologies hardcore) lover. I cant remember when was the last time I looked at mini map to benefit from someone being spotted (perhaps BC2, maybe BF3), because I purely rely on audio on my headset. Does it make a difference if you re spotted ? Yes if you are bad at 1v1, not if you can win your gunfights.



    Dice is lost what they want this game to be, attrition, spotting has nothing to do with it.



    Spotting has everything to do with it.

    What good is it if I'm better than the other guy when he can shoot up a spotting flare, see my position and come up behind me for a kill without me ever knowing he was there?

    Good luck hearing footsteps with all the gunshots and explosion around.

    I think they should have removed EVERY kind of spotting. Minimap and 3D.

    Spotting is there to help casual players do better. Period.



    Oh dear lord.... if you allow someone to shoot a flare and come behind you then I suggest you do some exercise. I am a casual because I have very little time for gaming but even so I could easily destroy you if they introduced easy core mode. And I am not attacking you or stat bashing just telling you, you are a part of that casual crowd. I am and many others are better than you regardless of what mechanics game has to offer, just like you are better than me in.. hmmm being stationary ? However if you wish to stop blaming the game mechanics for your deaths I suggest you follow 3 simple steps:



    1. Learn

    2. Adapt

    3. Overcome



    If I allow someone to shoot a flare? Am I supposed to predict he's going to shoot one, go up to him and ask him not to do it?

    Don't kid yourself.

    It sounds as if you are not aware that they are trivial to shoot down. To the point of being generally not all that useful against competent opponents.

    By the time you spot it and shoot it down it has already marked you and you whole squad. Your point is completely dull.
    Try again.

    You re completely dull mate. From my experience I never saw scouts charging forward with their squads, always solo wolf and mostly remains stationary, so if you get spotted and your squad, and you all get wiped by single scout, then there is no hope for you after all. Answer me one thing, since you re always moaning about spotting, should I start making cry threads and call this game casual because people use aim assist slowdown on console and because of that I die more than I should ?

    Before you answer think long and carefully, because its not game mechanics that makes game casual its how much time you can invest in one.
Sign In or Register to comment.