UK servers [Megathread]

Comments

• warslag
    1596 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Here's some maths for you: Logic + reasoning + evidence x EA = nothing changes. Because Battlefield only changes at EA's discretion.

The "netcode" is engineered to support the most cost effective solutions for EA's business model. That means it has to cope with players from across and even outside of those regions

If the "netcode" had to support 3rd party server rentals, instead of these regional data centres at Amazon, then it would have to be changed. Because then the priority would be local servers.

The RSP which was revealed recently is just renting an instance on an Amazon server. It's the same everything as what they have now. You can just give it a name and stuff like that. It is a billion miles form what we had in BF3 and BF2.

In all honesty the best era of PC gaming seems to have been buried under the sheer volume of customers that these games have particularly on consoles. The PC gaming experience is much more impersonal now.
  • OftenShot
    60 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Played a bit on the PS4 pro version this morn, EU server ping 30 and it was hideous. Worse than the PC version for lag it felt like it was skipping frames and plays like a slide show. It really pains me to say it but I hope the next Call of Duty gives EA a good kicking and re channels minds.
  • NuttysKunKs
    399 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I wonder if AWS using EPYC CPUs could relate?

Just a thought.
  • DrunkOnRedWine
    1676 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2019
    Played a bit on the PS4 pro version this morn, EU server ping 30 and it was hideous. Worse than the PC version for lag it felt like it was skipping frames and plays like a slide show. It really pains me to say it but I hope the next Call of Duty gives EA a good kicking and re channels minds.
    Hideous nicely sums up my playing experience last night on PC. No matter what game-mode I'm playing it's the same. Feels like I'm being throttled, movement is constantly hitching, turning and aiming is inconsistent and hard to aim, a kill or explosion pauses the action, input lag feels like I have v-sync on multiplied by 100 (it's off), a lot of the action is skipped for instance when I'm shot nothing animates I'm just dead. The warning lights are in constant action...

Never seen anything like this in all my years of online gaming and never had any of these issues pre April patch and it was magnified in May's patch.

I'm not sure how much more patient I can be with this disaster of a game.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    NLBartmaN said:
    Renting from Multiplay, NFO, GameServer.com etc doesn't result in "different" netcode. The only upside is you get more choice in server hosting locations. Which potentially lowers your ping. But it's only better if "ALL" players on the server have a low ping. You can rent a server in NY, Dallas, Chicago, London etc, but if you allow for global play (no ping limit) you'll experience the same issues 100% of the time.

BF4 offers 3rd party rentals from private GSP's, yet you still get: insta deaths, one frame deaths, hits behind cover, denied hits etc. But this only happens when the server is inundated with bad connections. You take a BF4 server and ping limit it and it's flawless.

For BF4 you can use Latency Manager plugin for procon. https://forum.myrcon.com/showthread.php?5782-Latency-Manager-(1-0-1-16)-January-2017

=============
    When rentals come for BFV you can easily start one up for free and kick players over 60ms to test this.
    The strange thing about this is: even on small game modes (16-32 players) and all having a ping below 60ms the game feels like crap, ttd bug still happening and shots not registering, footsteps missing, etc.

There might be one or more players with lots of latency variation, but all below 60ms ping.

So maybe a ping limit/kicking all players with ping above 60ms might fix everything ...

What else can it be?

Also strange is: I changed the DNS of my PS4 from the one of my ISP to a different one (the fastest/best that came out of an app to test that) and the game feels a lot better, even menus load faster etc, what does that tell you?
    Have you ruled out bufferbloat?
  • OftenShot
    60 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Half expecting an announcement next week that DICE have looked into the issues and can't find anything wrong with the netcode. Please try the following for improving lag and in-game performance.

Please make sure all PC drivers are up to date, if playing on console make sure the tv is set to game mode.

Make sure you are still not using a dial up connection BFV requires 512 KBPS minimum.

If possible use a hardwired connection to the modem/ router, if not try wireless 2.5ghz vs 5ghz.

Limit bandwidth usage by locking the wife and kids in the garage and turning off all other internet enabled devices.

Purchase the Netgear Nighthawk xr700 gaming router for just under £500!

Finally if all the above has failed to improve the situation contact your ISP, as we have no idea what is going on!
  • NuttysKunKs
    399 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    F0rlornH0pe said:

Hideous nicely sums up my playing experience last night on PC. No matter what game-mode I'm playing it's the same. Feels like I'm being throttled, movement is constantly hitching, turning and aiming is inconsistent and hard to aim, a kill or explosion pauses the action, input lag feels like I have v-sync on multiplied by 100 (it's off), a lot of the action is skipped for instance when I'm shot nothing animates I'm just dead. The warning lights are in constant action...

Never seen anything like this in all my years of online gaming and never had any of these issues pre April patch and it was magnified in May's patch.

What hardware u running by chance?
  • OftenShot

Nothing special it will run BFV high settings @ 60fps no problem but it just stutters unless I use vsync to mask it (lower settings are the same). It was fine until the last couple of patches were released. System specs Ryzen 5, 16GB, RX570, SSD, hardwired connection.

• NLBartmaN
    3945 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Rev0verDrive said:

Yes, used some of those test sites and have triple A connection.
    Fiber connection with 9ms ping to EU servers and no problems with other games.

I do get the server performance issue icon a lot (mostly in FS), so I think it is too early to rule out AWS its network and it servers (configuration).
    Situation in BF V got a lot worse when the UK servers were removed, maybe something wrong at the German location.

I believe in BF1 they had some other party next to AWS for servers and also then I had a "bad" experience on half of the servers (probably AWS).
  • DrunkOnRedWine
    1676 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2019
    F0rlornH0pe said:

Win 10 Pro x64(1809 - can't update to 1903 yet), i5 4690K, Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR 3, Gigabyte GTX 1060 (430.86 driver), Samsung Evo 850 250GB SSD @1080p. Sky Fibre at 80GB DL / 20 UL ping to Google 7ms.

CPU is below minimum but as a said I played the game great before April and May patches. A friend on mine has a top end i9, same issue.
  • DrunkOnRedWine
    F0rlornH0pe said:

Win 10 Pro x64 (1809), Intel i4690K, Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB, Gigabyte GTX 1060 OC (430.86), Samsung EVO 250GB SSD

Sure CPU is below minimum but before April's patch and May's patch it was smooth. A mate of mine has an i9 and has the same issue. 
  • NuttysKunKs
    NuttysKunKs said:

DrunkOnRedWine wrote: »
    F0rlornH0pe said:

Win 10 Pro x64 (1809), Intel i4690K, Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB, Gigabyte GTX 1060 OC (430.86), Samsung EVO 250GB SSD

Sure CPU is below minimum but before April's patch and May's patch it was smooth. A mate of mine has an i9 and has the same issue. 

Ok. Just wondered if it might be an AMD cpu problem. But guess not.

• DrunkOnRedWine
    It's Friday I have a glass of rioja but I can't bring myself to play with the lag and stutter. What am I to do? Looks like I may have to watch TV with Mrs Drunk 😂
  • Rev0verDrive
    6760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    NLBartmaN said:
    Rev0verDrive said:

Yes, used some of those test sites and have triple A connection.
    Fiber connection with 9ms ping to EU servers and no problems with other games.

I do get the server performance issue icon a lot (mostly in FS), so I think it is too early to rule out AWS its network and it servers (configuration).
    Situation in BF V got a lot worse when the UK servers were removed, maybe something wrong at the German location.

I believe in BF1 they had some other party next to AWS for servers and also then I had a "bad" experience on half of the servers (probably AWS).

That Icon means the server is under heavy load. Not that the hardware is faulting, nor its network. Each and every server is given the exact same specs and hardware/software configuration. An AWS server in the US is no different than an AWS server in the EU.

Look at the Server Tick ms (network graph) when you get the icon. The Srv Tkms value shows how long it took the server to process "ALL" executions and updates for the current tick.

@60Hz the max tick interval is 16.67. If the number shown gets upward of 13ms then the server is getting bogged down. If it every reaches 16ms or higher you're looking at a potential server crash if it's maintained for a few seconds. A normal load value would be 8-10ms stable.

For 30Hz servers the max is 33.33ms, stable 15-18ms would be a normal load.

• BURGERKRIEG
    1012 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Here’s my understanding of the issue.

Players in the U.K. had a better experience playing on U.K. servers with other players from the U.K.

Now that option no longer exists and that’s a problem.

• IIRogueMachineII
    1337 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2019
    ^Pretty much. Not just UK players as there would have been EU players as well on those servers at times. It feels pretty much a completely different game. 
  • NLBartmaN
    3945 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    That Icon means the server is under heavy load. Not that the hardware is faulting, nor its network. Each and every server is given the exact same specs and hardware/software configuration. An AWS server in the US is no different than an AWS server in the EU.

Look at the Server Tick ms (network graph) when you get the icon. The Srv Tkms value shows how long it took the server to process "ALL" executions and updates for the current tick.

@60Hz the max tick interval is 16.67. If the number shown gets upward of 13ms then the server is getting bogged down. If it every reaches 16ms or higher you're looking at a potential server crash if it's maintained for a few seconds. A normal load value would be 8-10ms stable.

For 30Hz servers the max is 33.33ms, stable 15-18ms would be a normal load.

The only thing I know is that since that icon is in my screen 50% of the time, the game is terrible in every way.
    That icon start to appear more often after the UK servers were removed and the last patch was applied.

So something they did created a lot more load on the servers and made everything "netcode related" terrible.

But I will have Netgraph visible the next time I play the game.
    I am on PS4 so the 30Hz is what I have to look at.
  • JPhysics
    804 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I had the network graph/stats up frequently since this server change until recently, and I distinctly recall see the Srv Tkms between the 8 and 16 range.  Thats playing on 60Hz servers on the PC across day and night.  Problem is its all too frequently between 12 and 16 from my recollection.
  • Rev0verDrive
    JPhysics said:
    I had the network graph/stats up frequently since this server change until recently, and I distinctly recall see the Srv Tkms between the 8 and 16 range.  That's playing on 60Hz servers on the PC across day and night.  Problem is its all too frequently between 12 and 16 from my recollection.
    You should see the performance icons flickering during times with 12-16ms ticks. Anytime the server tick ms reaches 12ms (3/4 execution time limit) you should see the "Poor Server Performance" icon. At 14ms you should start seeing the "Severe Performance" icon. If not then this needs to be addressed by DICE.

@mischkag Can we get confirmation on the Srv Tick performance values? Poor ms, Severe ms?
This discussion has been closed.