UK servers [Megathread]

Comments

• dcs500
    1481 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Current games available Europe/PS4:

Breakthrough 15
    Conquest 38
    Grand Ops 1
    TDM 12

All other games deleted or out of rotation. 
    😕

• OftenShot
    93 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    dcs500 said:

Breakthrough 15
    Conquest 38
    Grand Ops 1
    TDM 12

😕

That's poor compared to what I've seen in the past usually around 100 conquest games. Maybe show's how many players are having trouble with stuttering/ netcode at the moment and given up. PS4 for me is unplayable at the moment compared to the PC which isn't great but playable.
  • A_al_K_pacino_A
    794 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    dcs500 wrote: »

Breakthrough 15
    Conquest 38
    Grand Ops 1
    TDM 12

😕

That is a big drop from even a few days ago, I wonder if the mercury play list is messing it up
  • OftenShot
    93 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    dcs500 wrote: »

Breakthrough 15
    Conquest 38
    Grand Ops 1
    TDM 12

😕

That is a big drop from even a few days ago, I wonder if the mercury play list is messing it up

Just had a quick look at 6pm with the Mercury map deselected there were 60 conquest servers with it included there were over 100.
  • grrlpurple
    841 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Apart from the ToW assignments I have given up until the servers improve. Enjoying some RDR2 instead 😕
  • OftenShot
    Apart from the ToW assignments I have given up until the servers improve. Enjoying some RDR2 instead 😕

RDR2 is a fantastic game, savoured every minute of playing the single player. I'm having a change of pace and started playing a bit of RTS from the totalwar series, need a break from BF!
  • KPNuts74
    654 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    grrlpurple said:

RDR2 is a fantastic game, savoured every minute of playing the single player. I'm having a change of pace and started playing a bit of RTS from the totalwar series, need a break from BF!

Not my cup of tea. Whenever I watched people streaming it, they seemed to be watching the game more than playing it.
  • UrinDenialP
    144 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Thanks for this.
    Only had a brief look as its late.

Was kind of hoping there was some info of testing from those locations to an ip even if it could only be icmp....i know irrelevant because of udp and packet load but mainly to just compare the route.

imo this is vital
    The links provided give you pingable and tracert friendly IP's to AWS EC2 and GameLift servers.

The actual server you play on more than likely will not respond to ICMP (ping/tracert). Most game servers regardless the game/company do this. Instead they use a PingSite at the datacenter for server browser based pinging.

Here's a step by step guide I did for the pubg community. https://forums.pubg.com/topic/294576-server-location-identification-how-to/
    Once you get the IP you may have to run a ping on it to get the actual IP. From there you can use geolocation services to get region or manually sift through ranges on the AWS reachability page.

For example .... ec2.34.226.206.37.compute-1.amazonaws.com
    IP is 34.226.206.37 which is US-East-1 (Ashburn, VA)
    For testing I would use 34.224.0.252 on the AWS Reachability page and gamelift.us-east-1.amazonaws.com (52.46.135.130) for the gamelift servers.

Mate i test wth pingplotter.
    I grab IPs from the Asus connections page and test them depending on whether gamplay on fifa is good or not.

Lat year i tested for a good few months every day.

The conclusion was not fully clear but i could tell more or less whether i was gonna have issues on a game session.

Certain things would always mean bad gameplay.
    For example through my isp network a node pinging stably at 8ms on a normal day but jumping randonly to 30ms would cause a degree of delay.
    Any icmp packet loss through the isp network would almost certainly result in bad gameplay.

In the tier network and beyond it wasnt a cert to have bad gameplay with jumpy pings but was with packet loss....icmp.

But on the odd occasion ive had delay when the graphs showed up well....

Now on these days it would have been great to have known what route was being used from server to console.
    Because like you say they could be being directed a different route depending ont he network they use to transport packets.

My isp use iptransit just after their network....amazon may use telia?i dont know...just a guess of course.
    now telia may run a certain system.
    Orange have used telia and do on some routes.
    But the routes are relatively stable...icmp.
    But my previous isp....vodafone ...several nodes would change on each poll...icmp.

Telia may have changed.

It would be great to see and know.

• UrinDenialP
    144 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    tbh whether the servers are in london or jrankfurt there shouldnt be issues.
    why you only show 1 latency when logic says theres two data streams is beyond belief.
    Look EA are a multi billion dollar company and have royally messed up.

yes the internet has chaged form way back with way more cables having been layed ...to cope.

but this means many more possible routes.
    so testing two data streams and applying two lag comp figures is the right thing to make sure your more accurate.

now i dont knwo enough about the NAT variants and if isp can block certain tests and just test the start of the wan ip in some data centre....(which incidentally will cause differences and inaccuracy too).

net result will be i get shot before i see my opponent or the other way round...now this does happen on cod now which in infuriating when i see the replay....you do show replays on BF V?

anyway...hope you understand this.
    no gamer seems to or very few so cant get to make inroads into EA trying to understand....

In a nutshell the one latency shown on your netgraph suggests your testing latency incorrecty...the further away will mean some players are gonna get dodgy gameplay.

i will check back from time to time on this thread....if i see EA has acknowledged this is an issue and correct it i may buy V....good luck.

DICE/EA do not have any control over data routing whatsoever. You need to contact AWS for more information on their routing.

The following links provide "reachability" IP's for testing Ping and Tracert for AWS EC2 and GameLift servers.

http://ec2-reachability.amazonaws.com/
    https://docs.aws.amazon.com/general/latest/gr/rande.html#gamelift_region

Further information on AWS GameLift : https://aws.amazon.com/gamelift/faq/

Data Centers use "Peering". Buying direct connections to many tier 1 providers, such as VerizonAT&TSprintGTT/tinetVerio/NTTCenturyLink, and Telia, and choosing the best path to reach clients through a proprietary system.

You may also want to ask AWS directly about their Peering.

The route in is typically the route out, unless there's congestion, or the route out is the better option.

Each Gateway (HOP) along the route can redirect packets onto alternative routes.

---------

Ping in-game does not use ICMP. Each game data packet you send is timestamped in the header. The server and the client read those timestamps to calculate RTT.
    ((float) send time - (float) receive time) * 2 + (float) processing time = ceil(Ping).

The travel time of an ICMP packet is irrelevant. ICMP does not have a payload ..aka Game data. Game data packets (relevant) are what's used for ping and they are UDP.

*** Note
    * The network graph is only updated once per second. Processing ping, loss etc is low priority. This may add ~1ms to overall ping values displayed.

* IP Fragmentation ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_fragmentation
    Although game developers try to keep payloads as well as overall packet byte sizes low they can still be fragmented in route. If a packet is fragmented it can add toward ping times.

--------

FYI there are multiple virtual connections (UDP) as well as multiple direct connections (TCP).
    • Game Session, EA Backend, MM
    • Client -> Server movement updates (primary game data)
    • Client -> Server RPC's (kit changes, healing etc)
    • Server -> Client movement updates/corrections (opponent and self - various update rates)
    • Scoreboard
    • Network graph
    • text Chat
    • Kill feed
    • voip
    • etc ...

So other questions.
    Latency testing and lag comp.

How exactly do they test?

My thinking is they would use the timestamps on console to server packets and use the figure.
    Then use the server to console packets and have a second figure.
    Then add delay on both streams according to the highest pinger's figures.

Is this correct?

• Rev0verDrive
    6760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    @UrinDenialP

Use Resource monitor and shoot me the IP's. I'll post back the proper IP's for tracert and ping testing.

-----------------

UDP packet receive time - UDP packet created timestamp == UTT
    UTT * 2 + processing time

There's a post in the old hit detection thread that gives a basic overview of the Packet level Acks and reliable-order messaging. The code posted (C++) could be configured to modified to calc pings and loss over a smooth moving average. Give it a read through.

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/comment/1067218/#Comment_1067218
  • OftenShot
    Let our feelings on the lack of UK servers been known in the EA/DICE survey below.

https://twitter.com/PartWelsh/status/1135496548408877056

• DrunkOnRedWine
    1686 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Let our feelings on the lack of UK servers been known in the EA/DICE survey below.

This was posted previously and I filled it out, left some choice feedback!
  • OftenShot

This was posted previously and I filled it out, left some choice feedback!

That would be the May survey ? It appears they are doing them on a monthly basis.

There a good game there & I can put up with the silly bugs such as constant airplane sounds etc. Though I can't accept lack of UK servers, high pingers and ineffective anti cheat.

• DrunkOnRedWine
    1686 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2019
    Well it could have been April, I can't remember when ElliotLH posted the link.

Yeah the stuttering issue hasn't been addressed and also confirmed in the announcements forum section. Someone pass me a copy of War and Peace - this could be a long wait. 

Something that we wasn't able to work into this update was a resolution to the Stuttering issues encountered by Players. I chatted with the teams about this last week, and our Engineers believe that they're making good progress on the problem. We'll have more updates about this the instant that we can provide them. For now we just wanted to ensure that you understood that we view this as a High Priority for us to fix, but will not be addressed as a part of Update #5.

• ElliotLH
    8909 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2019
    Well it could have been April, I can't remember when ElliotLH posted the link.

Yeah the stuttering issue hasn't been addressed and also confirmed in the announcements forum section. Someone pass me a copy of War and Peace - this could be a long wait. 

Something that we wasn't able to work into this update was a resolution to the Stuttering issues encountered by Players. I chatted with the teams about this last week, and our Engineers believe that they're making good progress on the problem. We'll have more updates about this the instant that we can provide them. For now we just wanted to ensure that you understood that we view this as a High Priority for us to fix, but will not be addressed as a part of Update #5.

Oh God I'm going to have to go through my mountain of posts to check the date now XD

Edit: @DrunkOnRedWine it was May 10th I posted the link so this will be a new survey.
  • Prep768
    3449 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Not an accurate representation - '0' isn't an option 
  • NLBartmaN
    4109 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I don't know what they did or if we were just lucky, but in 3 hours of FS I only had the server icon maybe 5 times and just a second or 2, which is nothing.

And suddenly we won lots of rounds of FS, which was impossible since the UK servers were removed and the last 2 patches, with all the stuttering and high pingers 1 shot killing us because of the TTD bug.

I hope it stays this way and it was not just a lucky night ...
  • NLBartmaN
    4109 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It was a lucky night yesterday, hitreg is bad again, barely footsteps and TTD bug in full force again ...
This discussion has been closed.