Weekly Debrief

UK servers [Megathread]

Comments

• StarscreamUK
    7287 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    RayD_O1 said:
    Would be nice to receive some clarification / communication on this. Are the UK servers gone for good, why were they taken down especially when they were populated daily, anything........
    Well, the moderator came in and said in essence, you don't have enough players playing the game to warrant servers. That's my take of it. Solution? Well, there's plenty of threads on what could make folks want to play this game, being the current course is obviously failing. But the immediate solution is Free to Play weekends to boost counts at least then.
    Thats not what he said at all.  The BFV servers dont run all the time, they spin up on instance as required, so the more players needing a server will result in the datacentre spinning up a new instance.  Rather than having say 1000 empty instances sat running and being incredibly wasteful, it spins them up as required, keeping efficiency at the fore.

Not the way I'd prefer, but thats why people keep saying "I cant see many servers running X mode"  because it only fires up the servers needed for the players currently playing said mode

• Trent451
    59 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yes, but if all the Server instances are down for the UK either this has been turned off  (accident) for the UK Region or the UK population was felt too low  to keep them load balancing and they have been turned off and are now pointing permanently to German
  • dcs500
    1415 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Trent451 said:
    Yes, but if all the Server instances are down for the UK either this has been turned off  (accident) for the UK Region or the UK population was felt too low  to keep them load balancing and they have been turned off and are now pointing permanently to German
    The UK servers weren't exclusively for the UK, there were two hubs to serve a whole region, there's not enough people playing BFV (and who can blame them) to warrant two hubs, Germany is more central, so the UK closes.
  • GeorgyRommel
    24 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Great. The German servers are full of 100-200 ping players.
  • SupremeAzsoul
    332 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    As usual in other words..
  • StarscreamUK
    7287 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    and if the german centre wasn't there, where do you think they would be?
  • ackers75
    2392 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    GeorgyRommel said:

and if the german centre wasn't there, where do you think they would be?

In there own region
  • Trent451
    Not only is the performance rubbish Netcode, Hit Reg but the amount of camping playstyle on these German servers is terrible.
    I used to moan about the UK ones but here its like ridiculous.
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    786 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    warslag said:
    Hey all,

I looked into this. 
    From our Dev team, it appears that the Data Center for both London and Ohio (Central US) were disabled to reduce matchmaking time. 
    I'm following up on Monday to see the next steps and status and will share any info I get with you.

Thanks.

-Braddock512-
    Can you not bring yourself to at least apologise for the inconvenience you have caused to UK players. UK players have been amongst the most loyal fans of Battlefield for decades.
    Imagine being so up tight about yourself and your own situation that you're upset that the COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT TEAM didn't say the right words in their "I'm checking on it" statement.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hey all,

I looked into this. 
    From our Dev team, it appears that the Data Center for both London and Ohio (Central US) were disabled to reduce matchmaking time. 
    I'm following up on Monday to see the next steps and status and will share any info I get with you.

Thanks.

-Braddock512-
    So nice to see the radio silence broken here, but there are so many other issues where we hear nothing and human nature being as it is, that is interpreted as indifference and inaction.
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    1436 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    RayD_O1 said:
    Would be nice to receive some clarification / communication on this. Are the UK servers gone for good, why were they taken down especially when they were populated daily, anything........
    Well, the moderator came in and said in essence, you don't have enough players playing the game to warrant servers. That's my take of it. Solution? Well, there's plenty of threads on what could make folks want to play this game, being the current course is obviously failing. But the immediate solution is Free to Play weekends to boost counts at least then.
    Thats not what he said at all.  The BFV servers dont run all the time, they spin up on instance as required, so the more players needing a server will result in the datacentre spinning up a new instance.  Rather than having say 1000 empty instances sat running and being incredibly wasteful, it spins them up as required, keeping efficiency at the fore.

Not the way I'd prefer, but thats why people keep saying "I cant see many servers running X mode"  because it only fires up the servers needed for the players currently playing said mode

Right, but it isn't that enough to say, there's just not enough players to warrant the servers, where if there were, it would prompt them to "spin up on instance" or a new instance itself?

A sincere question, being it would seem that's where the issue is.

When we talk about the Midwest, or over in the UK, there may not be a need for servers that are not being used as much as they are on the coasts, or in more the area of Germany. So, if more people play the game in those areas. there would be ample servers? If they're trying to increase matchmaking times, that's probably what's going on, in that they're trying to fold those in areas many are not playing, onto areas where they are.

I'm not a techie, but that's my rationale of it, and what i thought the Mod was trying to say. And what i'm saying is if the game had many more players, this issue likely would not be happening. Am i wrong? 
  • Trent451
    Hi All mainly for the UK playerbase

If the UK Servers are not brought back online as on Monday onwards I suggest we all vote with our feet and stop playing
    The German Servers are terrible. Netcode and HitReg Awaful. High Ping. 
    And it seems the "native" German Playerbase are far more determined to camp as a preferred playstyle
    Makes games very difficult to push objectives
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    786 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 20
    Trent451 said:
    Not sure why your attacking Warslag, aRrAyStArTaT0 hes making valid points and is entitled to his opinion especially being a UK Player most affected. 
    Warslag is right 100% 
    He's not though. This guy isn't making a statement other than "I'm gonna check on it Monday". There's literally 0 reason to apologize because there might not even be an issue other than lack of players at the same time. I don't understand the need for an "apology" in this case. It doesn't make sense. And to demand one makes it even worse.
  • JPhysics
    804 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Is the player population for this game that bloody low?

Thats what I'm thinking.  If the player figures are so low that they've selected all UK and a main central US servers after only 5 months then the game is undeniably not satisfying the player base.   
    Braddock512 has actually said the reason they've disabled them was to speed up match making, however ......
    1. If the game had sufficient players on their servers you wouldn't have a problem with match making times 
    2. I would have preferred to see an alternative method of resolving match making times, not just by closing down AWS in main regions
    3. My match making times are not any quicker, in fact its pretty dire right now
    I'll wait to see what info Braddock512  comes back with, but I strongly believe if you have a AAA multi-player game then you ought to provide adequate server support for the players or else you invite criticism.
  • m1k3ol
    823 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Moderator
    Trent451 said:
    Not sure why your attacking Warslag, aRrAyStArTaT0 hes making valid points and is entitled to his opinion especially being a UK Player most affected. 
    Warslag is right 100% 
    He's not though. This guy isn't making a statement other than "I'm gonna check on it Monday". There's literally 0 reason to apologize because there might not even be an issue other than lack of players at the same time. I don't understand the need for an "apology" in this case. It doesn't make sense. And to demand one makes it even worse.
    Also, it could be a case of relocation or another strategy...

It's wise not to pass judgement until the full info is out, Easter is also a bad time when stuff happens since many people and countries have holidays as well, it hits on response time for any issue...

We'll certainly have a better picture next week
This discussion has been closed.