UK servers [Megathread]

Comments

• shaunUK24
    75 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Just when you thought the game couldn't get any worse. They remove the UK based servers. Round of applause for dice / ea
  • ninjapenquinuk
    2063 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    RE CEOs; they rarely make the big decisions on there own, especially in company like EA with all their different divisions. They are mostly just well paid figureheads that just sign off on decisions made by a committee of people below them. I doubt the CEO had any knowledge, let alone actually care. 
  • DavTan
    785 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    PoppaPappo wrote: »
    Trent451 said:
    Found this on Reddit....

Braddock512Community Manager2 points·1 day agoSorry, I’m on PTO but here’s what I have: I checked with the team and it looks like they consolidated the data centers in Frankfurt to reduce matchmaking time and increase consistent matchmaking. I’ve already escalated this regarding some comments that ping has been impacted. I won’t know more until everyone is back from work Monday/Tuesday. Sorry I don’t have more info, buddy.

Looks like a deliberate move on EA's part. Think we can kiss the UK Servers goodbye for ever.

** Bad Decision EA your going to loose a lot more of your slowly eroding player base due to yet another stupid move **
    Isn't Andrew Wislon earning enough as CEO of  EA ? When some people have so little, some have far too much

Greed in the Extreme

As Chief Executive Officer at ELECTRONIC ARTS INC, ANDREW WILSON made $35,728,764

My favorite is how people use a CEO's salary as a reason why things shouldn't happen. You run a billion dollar publicly traded company that requires you to be available 24/7 for 20+ years and tell me you don't deserve the highest salary.
    .Give me a break.

You actually don’t. Especially when you consistently make bad decisions that run a company into the ground. That’s a fraudulent ideology that comes specifically from Harvard Business School. There have been several books written about this. As for being available 24/7 for 20+ years, just stop. Many great teachers and professors are available 24/7 for just as long. Where’s their $35 million? CEO’s make 1000x more than your average person, but do they do 1000x more actual work? No. No, they don’t.

I had a hunch and looked it up and guess where Andrew Wilson studied? That’s right: Harvard Business School. They promote the sociopathic ideology that profits and shareholder value are more important than whatever it is the business actually does in whatever industry. They also have a twisted idea on how you determine what their exorbitant executive salaries should be.

This is the crap that gives capitalism a bad name. Think of any crummy CEO over the last several decades and I can guarantee you there’s a 90% chance they went to Harvard Business School.

That 1 upvote I gave you ..... Consider it 20 ... Well said
  • polystethylene
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I appreciate the CM getting back to us, and hopefully we'll know a little more next week.

Something seems a little peculiar with the reasoning though. Time to match-make only goes up with insufficient concurrency. But presumably there are the same number of players (give or take) playing the game in Europe this week when compared to last week; they didn't suddenly vanish. And no-one's noticed anything significant w.r.t not being able to get into matches, so the total number of servers serving that player base in Europe is presumably similar to last week.

So they've obviously converted UK servers to DE servers (at least in terms of quantity). But why would that impact matchmaking time?  The game must be balancing a mix of multiple constraints when matchmaking:

- any back-end MMR they may or not may feed into matchmaking (never heard of this in BF but maybe it's there)
    - game mode requested by player
    - free slots
    - where in the round the server is. (i.e. trying to only drop players in at the start or very end of a round so they roll into the start of the next)
    - keeping latency low. (Though this generally correlates to straight line distance between two points - it's not always as simple as pick the nearest - the fastest response may come from servers further away)

The only way I can see leaving a hosting location on (i.e. UK) impacting matchmaking time is if the matchmaking algorithm is partitioning on location too aggressively, and isn't willing to switch-out location because it's prioritising one of the other constraints, thus reducing the concurrency in the pool by slicing the pool up by location.

I'm guessing maybe they don't have the flexibility server-side (i.e. it's not parameterised well enough) to fix it without just dropping everyone into one larger, centralised pool? Unless I'm missing something. I dunno, I can't wrap my head around it, it seems odd to me.

To some extent it's beside the point. Whilst the system spinning up and down instances dynamically makes total sense from an efficiency standpoint, in this instance it's shafted us. And the situation is resolvable with another method - let us rent servers in the UK. Isn't that more cost effective anyway? 
  • RayD_O1
    1011 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 2019
    Hopefully @Braddock512 can get back to us today with an update regarding the future of UK servers. And maybe the weight of opinion on the last 8 pages can help influence a change of direction and get them reinstated, fingers crossed.
    Post edited by RayD_O1 on
  • Giantcolabottle1
    42 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    RayD_O1 said:
    Hopefully @Braddock512 can get back to us today with an update regarding the future of UK servers. And maybe the weight of opinion on the last 8 pages can help influence a change of direction and get them reinstated, fingers crossed.
    I think you might find that those fingers are up at us in a V sign re: the servers :(
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3410 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Look at how much money Satya Nadella, the CEO of bloody Microsoft, got in 2018:

https://www1.salary.com/Satya-Nadella-Salary-Bonus-Stock-Options-for-Microsoft-Corp.html

$25.8 million. The CEO of one of the biggest companies in the entire world, which sells essential software and hardware to all manner of customers and organisations (including the US military even), is getting about $10 million dollars less than the CEO of a video game publisher that had only two real successes in 2018.

Even Jeff Bezos, the richest man in the world, has a base salary of around $81,000 a year. Despite that, his net worth reached a $140 billion in 2018, even though a lot of his workers sit around the poverty line. Still, the services that Amazon provides are much, much more important than the ones that EA provides.

Even the President of the United States of America has a $400,000 salary ... and that man has more responsibility than anyone else on this planet.
  • Trent451
    59 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Even the President of the United States of America has a $400,000 salary ... and that man has more responsibility than anyone else on this planet. 

Unfortunately Yes he is President. Responsibility is not a word he understands
  • Trent451
    59 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I hope the UK servers come back back having been in IT for a long time...Data Consolidation does not happen without a lot of planning and is a major headache to deliver.
    I am sure its something they won't want to revert, and it does feel like a Server Population Issue due to Low Player Count or a means of saving money.

Not sure which camp the truth lies in.
  • doctorrocktor
    1876 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Trent451 said:
    I hope the UK servers come back back having been in IT for a long time...Data Consolidation does not happen without a lot of planning and is a major headache to deliver.
    I am sure its something they won't want to revert, and it does feel like a Server Population Issue due to Low Player Count or a means of saving money.

Saving money i reckon as when the uk servers were up they were always full,and still no response from dice this game is becoming a farce.
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    786 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Trent451 said:

That position is considered service though. I doubt founding a company is service.
  • StarscreamUK
    7396 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Trent451 said:

Saving money i reckon as when the uk servers were up they were always full,and still no response from dice this game is becoming a farce.
    It's 8:14am where Braddock is.  Most people wouldnt be at work yet..He can only reply when he gets a reply.
  • GeorgyRommel
    26 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Being forced to play on German servers has killed this game for me. Everything just feels clunky and slow and hits aren't registering. If this is going to be the norm at least  come up with a way of kicking high ping players who are playing outside of their region.
  • ragnarok013
    3618 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Trent451 said:

Trent451 political baiting is not allowed so keep such statements off of the forum.
  • RayD_O1
    1011 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah same here havent played for days for same reason. Hope @Braddock512 can bring us some positive news later today.
  • Old_Misery_Guts
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    My Ping has almost doubled from about 19 to 36. Uninstalled and not bothered to play at all since before Easter. All in all very, very disappointing. What a  slap in the face for the customers. A short sighted and ridiculous decision if the status quo is maintained.  FPS games are notoriously reliant  on lower latency for a better experience, seeing as I'm not so good, ping is very important. It's ridiculous to base all the European servers in Germany for pure financial reasons.  The British won the war, but it seems the Germans have captured the servers.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Out of interest, what is the average ping for you guys in the UK when playing on german servers (assuming you have high bandwith)?
    27/28 for me which is obviously not bad and plenty of people play on worse.
    I wish.  NA servers are mostly in the 60ms range for me, only if I can get onto one of the rare west coast servers does my ping drop to the 20s.  EA is of course based in California.

BTW, last night all the NA servers went down, anyone who left a round couldn't get back into any server.  Technical problem, maintenance shutdown?  Radio silence, fine way to run a business.
  • jog0ff
    138 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm done with this game... EA / Dice shown how much they're care about us, customers who paid for this game
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    RayD_O1 said:
    Weight of opinion seems to have little effect on EA unless their stock price goes down thanks to the unhappiness of players (as it did when BF4 launched and news of how angry players were reached the mainstream media).  The execs at EA could work for a company that makes pet food or household cleaning products, they don't care, games are just another product and they've decided to go with the minimum quality they can get away with. 
This discussion has been closed.