UK servers [Megathread]

Comments

• RayD_O1
    1002 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Nothing as yet, but @Braddock512 is in a different time zone so hopefully we will hear something later.
  • JPhysics
    804 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 2019
    Bare in mind its Easter, don't have fast expectations.  Allow Braddock512 to speak to the right person (even if that means going up the chain), so he can come back with some insight about what will be happening further down the road.  We all want feedback on it, and the decision has had an impact for US servers too.
  • warslag
    1601 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    The opening post was made last Wednesday, the 17th of April. It's now 5 days since that post was made. Easter isn't a Holiday in America. That means @Braddock512 has had Wednesday, Thursday and today to just get some information. Assuming the weekend is downtime, although, probably someone else could have covered for him and got the information instead. The UK has a Public Holiday over the Easter weekend with Friday and Monday off work for most people. That means UK players' weekends playing Battlefield have been affected by this when they should have been able to expect everything to be in place for a weekend of playing BFV on UK servers.
  • VOLBANKER
    1298 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    What ping increase are you UK guys seeing because of this?

I remember UK servers was 7-8 ms ping increase for me compared to German servers (I’m in Denmark)
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Look at how much money Satya Nadella, the CEO of bloody Microsoft, got in 2018:

https://www1.salary.com/Satya-Nadella-Salary-Bonus-Stock-Options-for-Microsoft-Corp.html

$25.8 million. The CEO of one of the biggest companies in the entire world, which sells essential software and hardware to all manner of customers and organisations (including the US military even), is getting about $10 million dollars less than the CEO of a video game publisher that had only two real successes in 2018.

Even Jeff Bezos, the richest man in the world, has a base salary of around $81,000 a year. Despite that, his net worth reached a $140 billion in 2018, even though a lot of his workers sit around the poverty line. Still, the services that Amazon provides are much, much more important than the ones that EA provides.

Even the President of the United States of America has a $400,000 salary ... and that man has more responsibility than anyone else on this planet.
    The CEO of Costco limited his salary to twelve times that of the average employee's wage.  However the stock he owned in the company made him a very wealthy man, he didn't need any salary really.

However I don't normally care what EA pays its execs, I care about the quality of the product they deliver.  If I had no complaints with BFV then Wilson's salary would be irrelevant to me.  Only in the context of this game being so much less than it could have been is this man's pay an issue for me.  If I were a shareholder I'd be expressing the view that it's time for a major management shakeup at EA.
  • JPhysics
    804 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    warslag said:
    The opening post was made last Wednesday, the 17th of April. It's now 5 days since that post was made. Easter isn't a Holiday in America. That means @Braddock512 has had Wednesday, Thursday and today to just get some information. Assuming the weekend is downtime, although, probably someone else could have covered for him and got the information instead. The UK has a Public Holiday over the Easter weekend with Friday and Monday off work for most people. That means UK players' weekends playing Battlefield have been affected by this when they should have been able to expect everything to be in place for a weekend of playing BFV on UK servers.
    Braddock replied late night on Friday the 19th, so the only time to investigate it was the Easter holiday.  It might not be a holiday in the US, but it is in Stockholm.  You don't know who he needs to speak to about it.  Have a little patience, people have expressed their opinions and it is being pursued.  There is a whole world out there beyond gaming, I'm pretty sure most people can find other things to do in their lives here in the UK over the Easter break.
  • blueee177
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    My ping on uk server is normally about 9-11 it’s not bout 22-24 on a German one
  • JPhysics
    Sciolist said:
    VOLBANKER said:

I remember UK servers was 7-8 ms ping increase for me compared to German servers (I’m in Denmark)
    I’m usually between 12-16 in UK and 26-32 in Germany. It makes a very significant difference to gameplay.
    Same here, sometimes German servers peak high 30's and 40's .... but match making will sling me into much higher ping servers now too.   In older bf game (and alternative games) this increase wouldn't have such a big impact. However the way the game is synced with the servers and the design of the netcode, it feels like I'm playing on a US server from the UK, the difference is very noticeable.
  • Prep768
    3449 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Solid low 20`s 🇬🇧 mid - high 30's 🇩🇪
    Doesn't sound like much but the difference in quality is unbelievable 
  • GrumbleSG9
    249 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    VOLBANKER said:

I'm in Northern Ireland and it has increased from around 20 to the mid-to-high thirties for me. I'm no techie but for such a small increase it's incredible the impact it has on gameplay. I'm a fan of BFV but it's enough of a difference to put me right off playing it. I don't know, maybe we've just been spoiled in having both UK and Germany-based servers in Europe and this is just the norm for many players.
  • warslag
    1601 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    warslag said:
    Braddock replied late night on Friday the 19th, so the only time to investigate it was the Easter holiday.  It might not be a holiday in the US, but it is in Stockholm.  You don't know who he needs to speak to about it.  Have a little patience, people have expressed their opinions and it is being pursued.  There is a whole world out there beyond gaming, I'm pretty sure most people can find other things to do in their lives here in the UK over the Easter break.
    The onus is on EA to fix the problem. Not on players to "find something else to do". Although it does look like EA is going AWOL at the weekends. Weekends being the busiest time. Holiday weekends being even busier.

But if you reckon they are off on an Easter break while the UK servers are down then who are we to question that.

Also considering that they were told about this last Wednesday, and that they were the ones to turn the servers off. So they knew exactly what was happening in the first place and why they did it.
  • JPhysics
    Nothing is broken, nothing needs fixing.  Its an issue that needs to be reviewed because of the consequences of this decision to our (those affected) gaming experience.  Even then, they may well not reverse the decision. 
    No one is denying that the studio aren't aware of what they did or why they did it, but we are going to have to wait for the Community Manager to get back to us after he has spoken to the dev team, nothing happens on Easter bank holidays.  Just highlighting that because someone of you expected an answer over the weekend.
  • warslag
    Nothing is broken, nothing needs fixing.  Its an issue that needs to be reviewed because of the consequences of this decision to our (those affected) gaming experience.  Even then, they may well not reverse the decision. 
    No one is denying that the studio aren't aware of what they did or why they did it, but we are going to have to wait for the Community Manager to get back to us after he has spoken to the dev team, nothing happens on Easter bank holidays.  Just highlighting that because someone of you expected an answer over the weekend.
    Staff at EA and it's affiliates do post on social media and forums at weekends. So I'm not sure why you're insinuating that they don't?

Don't try to make us believe that EA isn't capable of resolving this matter with the time they've already had.

The official message is probably awaiting approval from a director who, for whatever reason, they cannot get an answer out of. Which is not good enough. UK Battlefield players deserve more respect than that.

All UK Battlefield players could, potentially, be affected by this. Which will mean tens of thousands of players. To tell those players to "wait until after Easter", as though we were living in the 1940s, as though these decisions weren't made in another place unaffected by UK Bank Holidays by people who also seem to have been completely unaware of UK Bank Holidays, is condescending.
  • grrlpurple
    841 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    15 ping UK and 30 ping DE servers, double the ping. The biggest issue is experiencing far more instances of one frame deaths and rubber banding soldiers sliding around in my sights.
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    786 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    warslag said:
    Staff at EA and it's affiliates do post on social media and forums at weekends. So I'm not sure why you're insinuating that they don't?
    Although it does look like EA is going AWOL at the weekends. Weekends being the busiest time. Holiday weekends being even busier.

I'm pretty active well beyond the regular 9-5 of most "normal" jobs. In fact, you'll find me posting, replying to tweets/threads far into my night and sometimes on the weekend - when I could be spending time playing games, spending time with my wife, etc. But that is my choice, and should never be your expectation. 

Now, as to the matter at hand - I'm the North American Community manager. That means I'm on NA time. The Global CM is in Sweden (and yes, they're still on holiday for Easter until tomorrow), and the UK CM is also on holiday until tomorrow. Most of the studio is on holiday, but I did escalate this Friday night (when I wrote my reply to the post) and I pinged the Slack channel again today. The latest update I received - on Saturday afternoon - was that when the team returned (on Tuesday), they'd analyze the data from the weekend, share their feedback, and then move forward from there.  

The official message is probably awaiting approval from a director who, for whatever reason, they cannot get an answer out of. Which is not good enough. UK Battlefield players deserve more respect than that.
    No, I'm not waiting on a director to approve any message. I'm literally waiting on the Devs to give me feedback on the change so I can share it with you. 

As I stated in my original reply, when I have more info Monday/Tuesday, I'll make sure to post it here. 

-Braddock512-

@Braddock512 The only expectation in this matter that UK Battlefield players have is that the UK Battlefield servers will be there when they want to play BFV.

If EA decided to change the operating arrangements of the servers before the Bank Holiday weekend in Sweden and the UK, then EA should have had a plan to deal with that situation when the inevitable complaints came in. They could have released a statement at the time of making the changes to the servers, well in advance of the Bank Holiday weekend, to let those players who were affected by it know what was happening.

Instead, this thread, which was created on Wednesday 17th, was ignored by EA staff until well into the Bank Holiday Friday 19th when it was already too late to do anything about it when all concerned at EA had gone home. It's hard to believe there was nobody at EA to sort it out over the weekend making it look as though EA had gone AWOL.

I do think UK BFV players are owed an apology for the inconvenience caused by the server arrangements and for having to wait so long for information about the matter. But also for EA simply being AWOL.
    Aren't you just a bundle of roses??? Come on dude. Remember the human.
  • VOLBANKER
    1298 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I for one appreciate your effort @Braddock512, thanks 
This discussion has been closed.