Firestorm Revamp: Discussion

lAlucard
29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
The purpose of this discussion is talk about features that would make firestorm more enjoyable and create lasting "battlefield moments". I've tried to order them based on the technical difficulty of making them.
  1. Game load - The game should start immediately once all players are in the game. This is personally the single largest reason I don't play firestorm, it takes to long to load compared to how quick you can die.
  2. Specialization - Classes NEED to bring something to the table. Faster revive / respawn mechanic (medic), more explosive damage (assault), spotting last longer (recon), carry more ammo (support). Just something...
  3. Weekly cosmetic unlock- These are cosmetic items that can only be unlock through firestorm challenges.
  4. New Gamemodes - We see all these variations on the core games, with grind, rush, squad conquest, etc. Lets see DICE give us a fresh take on battle royal. Examples:
    * Hardcore mode- Fast paced gamemode, no lobby, no armor, no tanks, just soldiers fighting each other and surviving the firestorm.
    * Easter Egg Mode - A PVE variant where players have to work together / betray each other while solving puzzles, surviving the firestorm and "other dangers". Put on your "tin can hats" - Do you have what it takes to solve the mysteries of the firestorm before it closes in on you?
    * Drop Zone - A tournament style pvp mode that transitions from infantry to vehicle warfare. The entire map is on fire aside from x number of drop zones. Squads fight to win a drop zone and are rewarded with a tank(s) to survive the firestorm. They then battle it out with the last surviving squads in all out tank warfare.
    * ? - discuss other possible variants in the comments.

5. Remove vehicle enter/exit animations and allow crazy stuff like flying tanks/jeeps.
  6. Weapons should be customizable - with Tier 3 being rare items.

7. Players Downed - This needs to be reworked. The animation for picking up players should be better. Players who are killed by headshot or knife should be killed, not downed. Downed Player state should be easier to aim / mark and move around up but without a gun.
  8. Respawn Mechanic - Just like in apex, you should be able to revive team mates. It keeps the game more interesting.
  9. Deathbox- DICE, just listen to the community and admit the loot mechanics was a bad idea. It doesn't work.

10. Buildable traps and Fortifications - Allow players to build fox holes to survive artillery strikes, or cut down trees for traps.
  11. New Maps - Honestly just mix and match existing or future maps for this. Good Example: "Caspian Border? In early playtests it could also be seen in the far backdrop of Death Valley" -  Niklas Astrand

Comments

• SirSpectacle
    822 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Most of these are not good ideas, sorry.
  • lAlucard
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Its for discussion. If you have better ideas go for it. Bad ideas are better then no ideas.
    Aside from the new firestorm modes most of these have been either mentioned in the forums by others or brought up by others in-game chat.

Only 4 and 10 don't already exist in more popular BR modes like apex, Blackout, etc. So they seem to keep players coming back to the game just saying...
  • crooKkGG
    49 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    lAlucard said:
    The purpose of this discussion is talk about features that would make firestorm more enjoyable and create lasting "battlefield moments". I've tried to order them based on the technical difficulty of making them.
    1. New Gamemodes - We see all these variations on the core games, with grind, rush, squad conquest, etc. Lets see DICE give us a fresh take on battle royal. Examples:
      * Hardcore mode- Fast paced gamemode, no lobby, no armor, no tanks, just soldiers fighting each other and surviving the firestorm.
      * Easter Egg Mode - A PVE variant where players have to work together / betray each other while solving puzzles, surviving the firestorm and "other dangers". Put on your "tin can hats" - Do you have what it takes to solve the mysteries of the firestorm before it closes in on you?
      * Drop Zone - A tournament style pvp mode that transitions from infantry to vehicle warfare. The entire map is on fire aside from x number of drop zones. Squads fight to win a drop zone and are rewarded with a tank(s) to survive the firestorm. They then battle it out with the last surviving squads in all out tank warfare.

Agree with pretty much everything but am strongly opposed to the above idea.  This would further segregate an already small player base.  Wait times are already long with one mode per region, can you imagine have 2-3 modes per region, with solo/duo/squad variants (that's ~9 different queues per region).  It's not sustainable.  PUBG can't even sustain separate queues for each of its 4 maps, and it averages 400,000-500,000 players per day.

• VVaxDaddy
    135 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'll briefly go through my thoughts in your ideas:

1. Yeah this would be nice, not sure if there's some loading limitation that causes it to exist in the first place.
    2. Might be cool, but for balance concerns I'd rather err on the side of caution and leave it as is.
    3. Doesn't matter to me but sure
    4. Please no, this game is already starting to have issues with matchmaking due to player counts. Firestorm can't afford to further break up it's player base.
    5. Animations should stay, you make a mistake and exit/enter a vehicle in the wrong place you should be punished
    6. The raw simplicity of the looting for guns is one of my favorite things, I hate playing build a gun
    7. Yeah the animation could use work
    8. I don't know how this wouldn't seem out of place and it would ruin some of the tension of the game
    9. Yes please fix the looting
    10. I'd rather not add to the camping meta
    11. Not sure exactly what you're saying, but a second map would be really nice later on.

For me aside from looting and performance improvements, the biggest thing I'd like to see is for supply drop flares, vehicle flares, and artillery strikes to become squad leader call-ins instead of random drops.

People want cheesy changes to counteract camping, but I'd rather reward aggressive squads than make changes to effect camping that will have other side effects. Reward the squads that earn kills, wipe squads, and capture points if you want more aggressive gameplay.
  • Ceph777
    253 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    1-10 - nope

11. Not needed at this time, but will be in the future sometime.
  • lAlucard
    crooKkGG said:
    lAlucard said:
    1. New Gamemodes - We see all these variations on the core games, with grind, rush, squad conquest, etc. Lets see DICE give us a fresh take on battle royal. Examples:
    So this is meant to only be a weekly thing like Grind and then it goes away. Something that Dice can do relatively quickly without major map redesigns and to just change weapon/vehicle spawns. I'd mostly like to see a hardcore mode that encourages quick and aggressive matches. The others are just a shot in the dark for something fresh/original. 

• tempo_rarity
    1405 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Improve Firestorm?
    Hmmm . . . 
    I got a Gas Can but without a Vehicle it's of no use , unless . . . 
    I could pour some out and use it to start a small 'firewall' fire to create a temporary safe zone against The Firestorm .
    Make it risky and more fun by having it be a 'smoky' , noticeable activity .
    It could be used as a lure then too .

12. Smoke signals :lol:
    Of course , the much nastier burn-everything Final Fire intensities would render this tactic useless .