Netcode post patch

1235»

Comments

• Delta245
    109 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I upvoted you parking brake, but uh let’s bring that down to at least hard capping at 80-90 and that’s being generous. The worst culprits are the fluctuating ping players, they should be kicked from sever if there ping keeps spiking and dropping until there latency becomes stable. And the thing is people can manipulate that action by so many different means while a high ping player just usually is playing on distant server.
  • parkingbrake
    3110 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I played three games of squad conquest yesterday and it was amazing, like a totally different game. Every shot I fired connected properly and I realised how good the M1 carbine can be. Sadly this is the exception. Usually it feels like I'm shooting paper bullets.

The difference was a smaller server and everyone had two digit ping. As soon as a three digit ping arrives the one hit deaths and paper bullets arrive.
    Good point, Squad Conquest does seem to run better and a smaller number of players is probably the reason.

I sure wish EA would grow a spine and put in a hard ping cap of 100-120ms, there is no good reason why players from other continents should be allowed to bring OOR lag to games in other regions.  There could be a few inter-region servers where overseas friends could play together, but nobody should be forced to play in a server with out-of-region lag.
  • parkingbrake
    3110 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It was only Combined Arms but I reached a Ping of 1777. That's gotta be a world record.
    Did you find yourself wanting to yell, "China numba wun"?
  • diagoro
    1530 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    spartanx169x said:

GrinddalDDG wrote: »
    I am seriously beginning to question their abilities at DICE - This is pure ****....

You are just beginning to realize this?? That is too funny. I realized back in December that the B team has been managing this game from its inception. There is a long list of choices made for this game with no thought to the consequences of those decisions which can only lead to one conclusion- inexperienced leadership. It’s well known DICE had at least 40 or developers / programmers leave a while back.

Reportedly 40 staff left DICE over the course of a year, that info came from one comment on a website in Sweden buts it's been repeated by others since which apparently makes it "well known".  We don't know what those folks did or why they left, for all we know some of them weren't even involved in game design.  That two new design studios had recently opened in Stockholm might mean that some got better offers from those companies.  It also isn't unusual for even the top developers to leave a studio, CoD and Assassin's Creed are series in which top developers have quit or been fired at some point.  I'd be more concerned about earlier departures in which DICE developers who knew how Frostbite works had moved on.  One recent article said Frostbite is not well documented and anyone using it for new games has to figure it out as they go.

I think you put your finger on an important point--leadership.  Some of the design mistakes made in BFV suggest poor project management, e.g. there was nobody to point out that making players leave the server to activate assignments and then sit in queue to rejoin their friends was a horrible idea.  The symptoms of there being nobody in charge to tie everything together have been seen to some extent in BFV, it reminds me of Bluehole and PUBG--different departments not talking to each other, nobody in charge to decide that an anti-cheat causing such huge performance drops that the game is unplayable will not be installed in that state.  That EA could decide to shut down server locations in the UK and NA without even letting the community manager know what's going on suggests a lack of internal communication, for example.

That today's DICE might not be as good as it once was is possible, but we need to be careful about blindly accepting "well known" scraps of information which might or might not be accurate.

It's likely there are fewer people willing to say no, or offer divergent views. Too many new employees who just say yes, and move on.
  • parkingbrake
    diagoro said:
    I'm starting to wonder if EA get a discount for using lower tier/speed/bandwidth servers. Would explain why older or base modes seem to take a performance hit when a new mode or map comes out. I always assumed new things, like FS, were given optimized servers to generate the best possible experience and press.
    AWS servers do have different prices depending on location, some being more expensive than others.  Other games have had problems with AWS servers in cheaper locations, e.g. PUBG with servers in Ireland generated a lot of EU player complaints, so they switched to Multiplay as the host with the server location in Germany.  Ironically Multiplay sometimes uses AWS servers, but apparently they at least chose the right locations.
  • grrlpurple
    791 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Playing from UK now on DE servers so got my best ping of 27. Played three awesome matches of squad conquest, all players were two digit ping and I topped the board with my gun actually feeling like a gun.

The last match I just quit. One player joined with a ping of 796 and suddenly I'm shooting paper bullets and dying from one hit super bullets.

There really must be a ping cap.
  • ackers75
    2207 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    grrlpurple wrote: »
    Playing from UK now on DE servers so got my best ping of 27. Played three awesome matches of squad conquest, all players were two digit ping and I topped the board with my gun actually feeling like a gun.

The last match I just quit. One player joined with a ping of 796 and suddenly I'm shooting paper bullets and dying from one hit super bullets.

Won’t happen.
    We screamed for it with bf4 and nothing happened
  • diagoro
    1530 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ackers75 wrote: »

Won’t happen.

They did for two weeks during BF1....and it was some of the best feeling game play I ever recall...
    than it was pulled.
  • grrlpurple
    diagoro wrote: »

Won’t happen.

They did for two weeks during BF1....and it was some of the best feeling game play I ever recall...
    than it was pulled.

It was a lightbulb moment! Those two weeks were sensational to play.
  • diagoro

Won’t happen.

than it was pulled.

Sadly not enough people got it, least of all Dice.
  • grrlpurple

Won’t happen.

than it was pulled.

I think they got it but caved in too easily to the loud oor complainers.
  • IIIIIBetoIIIII
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have LOT of stutter since last update, maybe is my potato 4cores 6700 also.
  • ElliotLH
    7233 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Won’t happen.

than it was pulled.

I think they got it but caved in too easily to the loud oor complainers.

That.
  • BFB-LeCharybdis
    705 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I played three games of squad conquest yesterday and it was amazing, like a totally different game. Every shot I fired connected properly and I realised how good the M1 carbine can be. Sadly this is the exception. Usually it feels like I'm shooting paper bullets.

The difference was a smaller server and everyone had two digit ping. As soon as a three digit ping arrives the one hit deaths and paper bullets arrive.
    Good point, Squad Conquest does seem to run better and a smaller number of players is probably the reason.

I sure wish EA would grow a spine and put in a hard ping cap of 100-120ms, there is no good reason why players from other continents should be allowed to bring OOR lag to games in other regions.  There could be a few inter-region servers where overseas friends could play together, but nobody should be forced to play in a server with out-of-region lag.
    I might be wrong but I think 100-120ms may be too high, at least on console.
    Just finished TDM and all it took was four players with 120 ping and the hit reg went out the window, even on a small mode. I think maybe 90ms might be best.

I'm praying that the RSP we're getting will allow this. Sweet Ping Cap come to poppa.