Weekly Debrief

Community Broadcast: The Evolution of RSP

Comments

• GRAW2ROBZ
    1697 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Curious if the paid version of this server you get all game modes even included the limited time ones as permanent ones for modes as well.  Not sure what else the not free version can have other then maybe beta test new maps or something.  While free version loses a game mode that's under a limited time example as in Grind or rush.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2911 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Coming December 31 2019
  • diagoro
    1531 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Not quite sure what to think of the free option.

On one hand this was always a revenue stream, which right now could mean life/death of new content. I'm also assuming there will be a thousand private servers at a time, more badmins, and truly divides the player base.

I recall some great private servers from BF4, but there were usually issues keeping them as favorites (they would remove themselves after a few days), and most weren't searchable.

• PoppaPappo
    236 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    GRAW2ROBZ wrote: »
    Curious if the paid version of this server you get all game modes even included the limited time ones as permanent ones for modes as well.  Not sure what else the not free version can have other then maybe beta test new maps or something.  While free version loses a game mode that's under a limited time example as in Grind or rush.

I would guess that the paid one doesn’t disappear if it’s not populated.
  • diagoro
    1531 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    NLBartmaN wrote: »
    Very good news, but I can't find a (unstable) ping limit/lag compensation setting, is it not there?
    Would really like to see that option.

Agree, one of the main reasons I would consider it. Guess it would require active monitoring, and kicking players.
  • GRAW2ROBZ
    1697 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah after summer is kinda late.  Better late then never.  But most be gearing up for next generation consoles next year Fall.  Got a year to milk this.  So every month counts.
  • Noodlesocks
    2898 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    What is going to stop any random joe pubber creating their own server and taking up server stock? I mean there aren't infinite servers going about, evident by entire regions just vanishing overnight.
  • Jaskaman
    655 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Good news! Finally! THank you!
  • diagoro
    What is going to stop any random joe pubber creating their own server and taking up server stock? I mean there aren't infinite servers going about, evident by entire regions just vanishing overnight.

Agreed, there will be a thousand servers with one player, all waiting patiently.
  • Wikstone
    173 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Too late.
  • ReFlanaghan
    87 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    cant wait to uninstall the game because the only populated servers will have **** garbage rules and restrictions.
  • Rapidpike_
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    This very well DICE !!! ... is what the whole community wanted. They have to enable the option of Limit of ping please.
  • RazY70
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Excellent! Looking forward to after summer
  • CSO7777
    1207 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    diagoro said:
    Not quite sure what to think of the free option.

On one hand this was always a revenue stream, which right now could mean life/death of new content. I'm also assuming there will be a thousand private servers at a time, more badmins, and truly divides the player base.

I recall some great private servers from BF4, but there were usually issues keeping them as favorites (they would remove themselves after a few days), and most weren't searchable.

Paying for RSP could of course help financing server-costs but Dice has never really made a lot of money on RSP. They have stated that several times before.

This model will give the community more control of how the servers are run without any cost to the community, and if they make it work in a way where several different people can start the same server it could actually work pretty well. Also hopefully this model could be implemented in future BF-games (even though BF1 had the same problem with missing RSP in the beginning).
  • DrunkOnRedWine
    1573 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Good news and I am surprised but pleasantly so that it's coming. 

Only thing is how many players will be still playing after the summer?
  • trip1ex
    4777 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    servers are instances.  not dedicated machines.  And the fewer players per server the more servers a dedicated machine can host.
  • JPhysics
    804 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 7
    I prefer the way the previous RSP models were, but its a step in the right direction.  I know too many people I used to play with that won't return to this game, I feel its too little too late. However, thinking aloud:
    I assume the core features they listed are inclusive in the free basic package, so will advanced features such as banning players follow afterwards and if so when? 
    Are local private servers to UK hosted in Germany?
    Given match making times was made an issue recently, won't the introduction of private servers saturate the density of player counts, and therefore increase match making times?
    Communities used to be able to post links of their servers on their forums, or social media platforms.  Am I right in saying this model shuts down the servers when they are absent of players, making linking to them impossible (IE no IP address), will they find a way around this?  I'm guessing the saved config file is for settings and does not display a server ID.
    One problem addressed, 99 problems to go.
    Post edited by JPhysics on
  • Noodlesocks
    2898 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    trip1ex said:
    servers are instances.  not dedicated machines.  And the fewer players per server the more servers a dedicated machine can host.
    That doesn't make things better.
  • krukan6
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    This is fantastic news for the competitive scene. But the communities needs servers that are on 24/7. Hope that is the "premium" way.