This Week in Battlefield V

Community Broadcast: The Evolution of RSP

Comments

• Raspu71nG
    118 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    too bad BFV Planes sucks. so private servers is not that interesting to me.
  • bigiain
    279 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm not against this, but I'm struggling to see how it will work. Matchmaking players into games with different rules would be a disaster, so you've only got the players who use the server browser to work with. You're then splitting them up over whether they want standard or private servers, splitting the latter group by game mode, then offering them a list of private servers in that mode that anyone can set up.

At launch is very easy to see the number of servers being offered having far more capacity than the number of players looking to play on them. Even when it settles down, it seems hard for it to be much more than a list of basically Hardcore servers, it's difficult to see much else getting populated. Permanent servers in the past could build a reputation, that seems very tough here. 
  • NuttysKunKs
    355 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Bullet damage modelling! Yes!!!

So HC is coming back thank goodness
  • senoritaSparkles
    43 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    biggest thing we missed in bf1 RSP > TIMEBAN , not just kick and ban but timeban is wanted. Annoyance to write down names and set the agenda on when to unban someone.
  • VRtroper
    129 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    There is one important thing that you should keep in mind in this new server system. The BF1 Matchmaking system did not search for custom servers, so the RSP servers contracted with EA were always empty.

It would be good for this BFV that the servers could be searched by REGIONS, as bf3 can search by country, (Spain, Italy, France, etc ...)

It is the only way that custom servers can be seen by people quickly and directly.
  • Redstripe101
    2559 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This is literally the only news worthy thing you've posted that the community actually wanted from day 1. We are mid cycle now? lol good try but too little too late for the masses i think. It surely wont make me reinstall until the basic issues are fixed.
  • trip1ex
    4770 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    bigiain said:
    I'm not against this, but I'm struggling to see how it will work. Matchmaking players into games with different rules would be a disaster, so you've only got the players who use the server browser to work with. You're then splitting them up over whether they want standard or private servers, splitting the latter group by game mode, then offering them a list of private servers in that mode that anyone can set up.

At launch is very easy to see the number of servers being offered having far more capacity than the number of players looking to play on them. Even when it settles down, it seems hard for it to be much more than a list of basically Hardcore servers, it's difficult to see much else getting populated. Permanent servers in the past could build a reputation, that seems very tough here. 
    They aren't going to matchmake players into games with different rules.  They didn't do that in the past few BF games at least.

You'll have to find them by server browser.  And I wouldn't be surprised if you have to pay to make that part happen.

Also wouldn't be surprised if you have to pay to make the server permanent.  

At the same time I think anyone starting up a server at the same time every day and working to get players on it can get a fanbase going for the server even if it disappears during the day time when everyone is working or at school.

• parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    bigiain said:

I'm always surprised that anyone relies on the matchmaker to find them a game.  I found my favorites list to be the way to chose a good server, because it was full of servers I 'd played before and which I knew were well run.  If necessary (and in BFV it is) I used the custom search function which shows me all the servers in my region, so I can choose a server on my own.  Unfortunately since DICE did away with the useful feature of showing us how many tickets remain on each side, I often find myself on a team being hopelessly crushed with only a few minutes of the round remaining--so in BFV I quit games at a far higher rate than I ever did in previous titles.

Rented servers in BF1 were a disaster partly because they were invisible to the matchmaker so they were often unpopulated and the operators gave up on them.  Your point about the matchmaker putting players into servers with different rules is well taken, such server are going to have to be clearly marked so players are not surprised by finding themselves in a "tanks only" server or something like that.  But since many players rely on the matchmaker, it has to work with rented servers or there is just no point.

Sadly experience makes it clear that EA/DICE is capable of making a mess of this, either through incompetence or because they don't really want rented servers back and are prepared to see them fail as they did in BF1.  If they had just left things alone as they were in BF3 or BF4, while adding some company-run servers for those players who can't tolerate rules (or stuck with the so-called "Official" servers which were also rented but with little admin control) they'd have thousands of servers up around the world without it costing them a penny.  But EA was too smart for that, they decided to run (and pay for) the servers themselves, and we've seen how that has worked out--just ask players in the UK.

The jury is still out on this, maybe this new RSP will work, or maybe EA will screw it up, again.  We really won't know until it's up and running, we'd be fools to be happy until then because an announcement of what they're maybe, possibly, perhaps going to do is not something anyone who has played BF for long should take seriously.
  • TyroneLoyd
    1380 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 9
    The real question who uses matchmaking (on pc). *barf*
  • brooklynborn91
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Noone really cares about any game mode besides duos.....and once again its been removed
  • TheNoobPolice
    1577 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Please don't listen to people that want the option to permanently ban players from public ranked games. Whether it's their configurated ruleset or not is irrelevant.

I'd like to actually play BFV at the end of it's life on populated servers once it becomes a polished game without being ostracised because people don't like players with decent aim.
  • superteds
    1182 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Please don't listen to people that want the option to permanently ban players from public ranked games. Whether it's their configurated ruleset or not is irrelevant.

I'd like to actually play BFV at the end of it's life on populated servers once it becomes a polished game without being ostracised because people don't like players with decent aim.

Please don’t listen to this person.

going to admit that you got the whole braddock and westie thing wrong yet, or just keep being a negative nancy?
  • CrashCA
    1032 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Trolling, anyone ?
  • Wikstone
    173 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

Its been 7 months since release, its soon polished?
  • StickDead
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Finally!!!!! :D, This is a huge step to BF community. I really want see if we can create a new mode of game... like infected from mw2 :v 
  • ChiefSniper
    159 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! Dice/EA, you may have redeemed yourselves here.
  • Ceph777
    250 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Firestorm private servers? If any players are left lol.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3373 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Some people insist that an active admin banning cheaters is the only way to deal with cheating in a BF game, so this argument would work against them.

I wonder how many servers Ravic, Relaa and mus1ck have been banned from in BF4 ... oh well.
  • GRAW2ROBZ
    1673 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 12
    biggest thing we missed in bf1 RSP > TIMEBAN , not just kick and ban but timeban is wanted. Annoyance to write down names and set the agenda on when to unban someone.
    Time ban for missing how many minutes?  People do have lives.  We need bathroom breaks and need another drinkypoo popping beers and what not.  Maybe have to answer the door for receiving a package from the mail man.  I could see being gone half the match but 3 or 4 minutes isn't a killer.  IF the team stinks its most likely a loss first minute or so in the match any way.  If that admin of the server is this snooty good luck populating it.
  • TwinGunsLLP
    153 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Way too little, and way too late. Also lol @ anyone who believes this is going to go off well, 100% certain EA will screw this up even worse than the BF franchise itself.

It's over, just make the next one a mobile game. PLEASE don't make a BC3, I don't want you to ruin that franchise either.