Open letter to EA/Dice - Re Battlefield V: Firestorm matchmaking in Australia/Oceania

Ktulu_NZ
postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Having been frustrated at the inability to find a Firestorm game in recent weeks, a group of us got together and tried to organise a specific time to simultaneously start matchmaking. Using several Facebook groups, Discord channels and good ol friend lists in Origin, we managed to get a dozen of us in a Discord channel and created 4 squads (relying on the squads to be automatically populated, which they were instantly... indicating that there were obviously other players searching too). Now with 16 players simultaneously searching for a game at precisely 19:30 (UTC+10) we had our hopes up that we could actually initiate an Australian server (given that one would could safely assume that there were more than just us searching for a game in the whole of New Zealand and Australia on a Friday night). However, after 3 attempts (well over 15 minutes) of trying to get a game, not only could we not initiate that elusive Australian server, we couldn't even get onto a game overseas. To say we were disappointed would be an extreme understatement (though it did create some hilarious discussions).
At this point the majority of players quit, some went and played Conquest and large proportion ended up going to PUBG.
Whatever solutions you have been trying, they have been an abject failure and I implore you to think outside the box to find a way to remedy this issue. As much as I like playing vanilla BFV, I would rather play Firestorm (as would a lot of us).
I am happy to assist in any way if you'd like more information or help fixing this situation.

Best regards
[JaV]Ktulu_NZ (loyal and seasoned Battlefielder)
Battlefield 1942 + Secret Weapons
Battlefield 2 + Special Forces
Bad Company 2
Battlefield 3
Battlefield 4 + all DLC
Battlefield V

PS 15 minutes seems to be the limit most people will wait to get a game given most games don't last more than this.

PPS I've organised another atempt for next Saturday, hopefully we can get more players to try and join simultaneously.

Comments

• ShevermiN
    357 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I feel you, haven't been able to get a game for weeks and I'm here in Perth. Keep getting matched with the same random people looking for games as well but never finding one just timing out. Funny because when I go to auto join a Frontlines, dom, Breakthrough, Grand Ops it will spawn me into an empty server in Singapore. Which is ok because I get 65 ping  but other Aussie's on the east coast don't fair to well, about 165 ping. 

Why can't when I'm looking for firestorm matches can it not put me into a Singapore server ??  same time zone and a greater population base I would think. 

How about an option to chose where you search for Firestorm matches..    Can it be that hard.
  • xRooshooter
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    how can you get a refund, Finally get mates to buy bfv so we can play fire storm on pc take ages to find squad then even longer to find a game this mode sucks big time in Australia and is not worth the time or money EA/dice are trying its hardest to kill off the battlefield series well done   
  • MackieStevens
    23 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I truly feel bad for you guys down under.  It's bad enough for us in NA, I can't imagine it being any worse, and from everything I've read on here, it sounds like it is there.  I'm going to be moving to Hawaii within the next few years and I guess I'd never really considered how that might effect my video gaming until reading about your plights.

sucks dudes....sorry :/
  • LoJac
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Well written Ktulu_NZ. Myself and 6 friends have been trying most nights between 8-12 pm to join Firestorm squad and solo matches but without any success. It was difficult before the latest update but appears to be even worse now as previously you could join, albeit usually with a high ping but this was manageable and much preferred to not being able to join at all.

You can sometimes find matches during the day and usually the best chance is early afternoon to evening around 3-6 pm but this is not a convenient time to play for many. 

I am also a loyal Battlefielder having played back to 1942 and most of the way through but this experience and lack of communication around the issue is impacting the overall credibility and perception of the BF franchise.
  • Cag_2004
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Ktulu_NZ wrote: »
    Having been frustrated at the inability to find a Firestorm game in
    recent weeks, a group of us got together and tried to organise a
    specific time to simultaneously start matchmaking. Using several
    Facebook groups, Discord channels and good ol friend lists in Origin, we
    managed to get a dozen of us in a Discord channel and created 4 squads
    (relying on the squads to be automatically populated,
    which they were instantly... indicating that there were obviously other
    players searching too). Now with 16 players simultaneously searching
    for a game at precisely 19:30 (UTC+10) we had our hopes up that we could
    actually initiate an Australian server (given that one would could
    safely assume that there were more than just us searching for a game in
    the whole of New Zealand and Australia on a Friday night). However,
    after 3 attempts (well over 15 minutes) of trying to get a game, not
    only could we not initiate that elusive Australian server, we couldn't
    even get onto a game overseas. To say we were disappointed would be an
    extreme understatement (though it did create some hilarious
    discussions).
    At this point the majority of players quit, some went and played Conquest and large proportion ended up going to PUBG.

Whatever solutions you have been trying, they have been an abject
    failure and I implore you to think outside the box to find a way to
    remedy this issue. As much as I like playing vanilla BFV, I would rather
    play Firestorm (as would a lot of us).
    I am happy to assist in any way if you'd like more information or help fixing this situation. Best regards
    [JaV]Ktulu_NZ (loyal and seasoned Battlefielder)
    Battlefield 1942 + Secret Weapons
    Battlefield 2 + Special Forces
    Bad Company 2
    Battlefield 3
    Battlefield 4 + all DLC
    Battlefield V PS 15 minutes seems to be the limit most people will wait to get a game given most games don't last more than this.PPS I've organised another atempt for next Saturday, hopefully we can get more players to try and join simultaneously.

Firstly are you playing PS4 ?

And would you kindly share the Facebook pages you created so we could join and have more people joining at the same time, I was actually talking about this to a few guys as well, although I doubt it will actually work as pointed out by yourself.

Also do you or anyone else know the magic number to initiate a server start up in Oceania region, I can tolerate asian servers but anything over 150 ping becomes very difficult to kill.

Cheers
  • Kongkiwi
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I support this letter as well.  Can only reiterate what has been said about pings and the ability to actually get into a server.  It's 2019.

Bring on rent a server, but unsure whether Firestorm will be available on a local rented server?

• RICOB0Y
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Thanks Ktulu_NZ for raising this post, I've come out of retirement to play BF5 Dice/EA , I dont want another Metro or new maps or weapons, all i want is to play Firestorm. Please can you fix this for New Zealand and Australian users, we are holding on and praying you can fix this for the Oceania community in the very near future, I really don't want to play anything else .. (maybe BC3 or 2143 ) but plse

• CrocHunter27
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    it is so frustrating, i had a heap of friends trying to play and none of us could join.. you could easily find squad mates but no games.. we hardly get any updates on what's being done to fix it if anything and all they think about doing is adding new games modes and concentrating on other things which is annoying.. fix your problems before pushing out other game modes....  I really enjoyed firestorm and its a shame we can't play too..

my question is, why can't you make it that when we find a squad, we load into the pre game lobby where we can run around till the server fills up?  they do this in Black Ops BR..  We would much rather be running around shooting at crap then sitting there watching finding a game time out and getting frustrated.. why is it so hard to fix?  other BR games are loading quick..  In black ops you can load into a pre game area and there may only be 30 ppl but it eventually fills up.. there has to be more then 64 ppl in oceania trying to load into a game surely!

I have personally found conquest and that abit boring now, and so have quiet a few other ppl.. this firestorm is quiet good and i really enjoyed it...  I have started playing some other games just for the fact i cant play firestorm and im a little bored.. please fix the game mode! call other game developers or something that have got it working as they know what to do..

• champo87
    18 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 14
    I have serious doubts that this is solely a player number issue.

I have on one occasion found myself in a hangar with only 30-35 ppl. I don’t know what the magic number is for launching a server, but if a hangar can launch with that few players I seriously doubt that there haven’t been this many players searching at peak times for a game, even in a region as sparsely populated as Oceania.

Maybe that one time was a fluke but, even if we assume that, what explains the issues players are having in huge markets like the US?
  • RICOB0Y
    Thanks Ktulu_NZ for raising this post, I've come out of retirement to play BF5 Dice/EA , I dont want another Metro or new maps or weapons, all i want is to play Firestorm. Please can you fix this for New Zealand and Australian users, we are holding on and praying you can fix this for the Oceania community in the very near future, I really don't want to play anything else .. (maybe BC3 or 2143 )

• Mr_Tinman08
    81 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    If it makes you feel any better it's just as bad in Europe. Try and join a squad game with a friend, two randoms join and you usually sit waiting for six to eight minutes before the randoms quit and you get a message saying squad leader has quit match making and you start again. A few attempts at this and you also quit.

You can't tell me in the whole of Europe the servers can't put sixty people in a game.
  • CaptainHardware
    249 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

So you all know, they just changed the match making rules today to make it easier to get a lobby started, and allow the game to launch with only 32 players.

This is probably the only real thing they can do for low population regions, other then going free to play, and a free to play decision would have to come from the top of EA management. Which is just unlikely.
  • champo87
    18 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 15
    Ok, here is my mea culpa. EA/Dice, you were right - player numbers are the issue in Oceania. I was wrong, you were right. Having said that, you should've acted quicker to save the game because it is well and truly dead now, despite the server changes.

But really, the rest of the blame lies with the bloody BF community. I launched the game tonight at around 7pm thinking that things were looking good for tonight in light of the server changes. I get paired up with a squad and find myself sitting in a hangar after just a few minutes of matchmaking.

Hoorah - this is awesome and what we've all been asking for. There are already 21 people sitting in the hangar, so I wander off and do some cleaning up figuring that the game will launch in the next 5-10 minutes once more people join. Nope, not going to happen. Instead, I watch in despair as the numbers begin immediately dropping one by one from 21 down to 15-16 people. Then a resurgence and the numbers jump back up slowly but surely and peak at around 25 people. From there it is all bad news, and the numbers slowly drop off over the space of about 30-35 minutes until there are just 6 people left in the hangar. At that point, I too give up as my squad has abandoned me. I do try and rejoin with a new squad, but again only half a dozen people in the hangar. 

That's right, I sat there for nearly an hour letting the community come together to get a game going and for us to have some fun playing a game mode which many proclaim they desperately want to play. Instead, I'm faced with the realisation that there are too many in this community with no bloody patience or resilience, and who can't sit still and wait 5-10 minutes for a game to launch. Given the fluctuations in numbers across this period I sat waiting in the hangar I genuinely believe that if everyone had just sat tight for 5-10 minutes a game would've launched (remembering that we only need 32 players). My guess is that close to 40-50 people probably cycled through the hangar and left when their pathetic attention spans/patience couldn't handle more than 5 minutes of sitting idle.

I don't know where to go from here, but EA/Dice have done their part and it's on the community now to do the rest.
  • CrocHunter27
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    champo87 said:
    Ok, here is my mea culpa. EA/Dice, you were right - player numbers are the issue in Oceania. I was wrong, you were right. Having said that, you should've acted quicker to save the game because it is well and truly dead now, despite the server changes.

But really, the rest of the blame lies with the bloody BF community. I launched the game tonight at around 7pm thinking that things were looking good for tonight in light of the server changes. I get paired up with a squad and find myself sitting in a hangar after just a few minutes of matchmaking.

Hoorah - this is awesome and what we've all been asking for. There are already 21 people sitting in the hangar, so I wander off and do some cleaning up figuring that the game will launch in the next 5-10 minutes once more people join. Nope, not going to happen. Instead, I watch in despair as the numbers begin immediately dropping one by one from 21 down to 15-16 people. Then a resurgence and the numbers jump back up slowly but surely and peak at around 25 people. From there it is all bad news, and the numbers slowly drop off over the space of about 30-35 minutes until there are just 6 people left in the hangar. At that point, I too give up as my squad has abandoned me. I do try and rejoin with a new squad, but again only half a dozen people in the hangar. 

That's right, I sat there for nearly an hour letting the community come together to get a game going and for us to have some fun playing a game mode which many proclaim they desperately want to play. Instead, I'm faced with the realisation that there are too many in this community with no bloody patience or resilience, and who can't sit still and wait 5-10 minutes for a game to launch. Given the fluctuations in numbers across this period I sat waiting in the hangar I genuinely believe that if everyone had just sat tight for 5-10 minutes a game would've launched (remembering that we only need 32 players). My guess is that close to 40-50 people probably cycled through the hangar and left when their pathetic attention spans/patience couldn't handle more than 5 minutes of sitting idle.

I don't know where to go from here, but EA/Dice have done their part and it's on the community now to do the rest.

hey mate,

thanks for the update.. well that's a good start that we are being loaded into a lobby and have to wait for people.. i would say people will come back once they know, i have told a couple of my mates that they have improved the situation so we will try again..  i will be on friday and sat nights most likely so hopefully there will be some games and ill get some of my mates to come play! it's a pitty it took them so long to implement this solution when a lot of people have given up trying.. so it will take a little bit of time for them to come back, just spread the word!  what platform are you playing on champ087??  if your on xbox hit me up,  Crochunter27 is my gamertag, happy to play
  • Mr_Tinman08
    81 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Very few people actully read these forums so I doubt it's going to get better anytime soon. Personally I'm not prepared to sit and wait for ten minutes on the off chance a round might start.

• champo87
    edited May 16

hey mate,

thanks for the update.. well that's a good start that we are being loaded into a lobby and have to wait for people.. i would say people will come back once they know, i have told a couple of my mates that they have improved the situation so we will try again..  i will be on friday and sat nights most likely so hopefully there will be some games and ill get some of my mates to come play! it's a pitty it took them so long to implement this solution when a lot of people have given up trying.. so it will take a little bit of time for them to come back, just spread the word!  what platform are you playing on champ087??  if your on xbox hit me up,  Crochunter27 is my gamertag, happy to play
    Let's hope people do come back. I'll be back on tonight giving it a go, so hopefully things are better. Thanks for the offer, unfortunately I'm on PC.

Very few people actully read these forums so I doubt it's going to get better anytime soon. Personally I'm not prepared to sit and wait for ten minutes on the off chance a round might start.
    I gather you are in Europe, so I can see why you might think 10 minutes is an extreme amount of time to wait. Unfortunately, for those of us in Oceania 10 min+ wait times have been the standard from basically day one. At this stage in the game's lifecycle, a 10 minute wait is a dream for anyone in this region...

As you say though, I'm not confident that many people even know about this. I certainly wouldn't have known about it if I didn't frequent these forums. It'd be nice if there was even just an in-game pop up advising of the change.
  • champo87

hey mate,

Let's hope people do come back. I will be back on tonight giving it a go, so fingers crossed we get somewhere. Thanks for the offer, unfortunately I'm on PC.

I gather you are in Europe, so I can understand why a 10 minute wait might seem unacceptable to you. Unfortunately, in Oceania there have been 10 min+ wait times since basically day one. At this stage in the game's lifecycle, a 10 min wait would be a dream come true.

As you say though, I'm not convinced many people know about this change. If I didn't frequent these forums I certainly wouldn't have known about it. It'd be good if there was even just an in-game pop up notifying players of the change.
  • CrocHunter27
    champo87 said:

hey mate,

Let's hope people do come back. I will be back on tonight giving it a go, so fingers crossed we get somewhere. Thanks for the offer, unfortunately I'm on PC.

I gather you are in Europe, so I can understand why a 10 minute wait might seem unacceptable to you. Unfortunately, in Oceania there have been 10 min+ wait times since basically day one. At this stage in the game's lifecycle, a 10 min wait would be a dream come true.

As you say though, I'm not convinced many people know about this change. If I didn't frequent these forums I certainly wouldn't have known about it. It'd be good if there was even just an in-game pop up notifying players of the change.

no worries mate..  yeh not everyone goes on these forums, me personally have only just started coming on here to see if anything was being done for firestorm.  i have told some mates so word will spread and new ppl will try.. i shall try it tonight and see how we go!
  • Mr_Tinman08
    champo87 said:

Sad times indeed. I'd have asked for my money back by now.
  • Cag_2004
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Last two days have been awesome, credit where it’s due, non stop Australian servers, well done and thanks for listening to the players