Corrupted Save Files and PC Crashes

DigimortalDrones
17 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
edited May 11

I've installed BF1 a few days ago and had ZERO issues and just today after playing BF1 for a few hours, logged off and came back and received the following error: ''Your save file(s) are corrupt and could not be read by the game, continuing will overwrite the save.''!. To which I pressed OK, and then played the opening BF1 tutorial from the beginning of the War Story intro (knowing my saves and in-game settings were reset). After I finished the BF1 "tutorial" before the game could even load to the main menu screen, my PC crashed and restated. This has happed 3 times to me today while trying to repair BF1.

Steps I've taken that been taking me HOURS trying to figure this out:

1. Updated my Nvidia Driver for my GTX 1070 8G (new driver as of 5/9/2019). I do a complete clean download from Nvidia Driver site, not with GeForce Experience (which I do not have installed anyway).

2. Repaired BF1 Game Files

(at this point, I restarted my PC and restarted BF1, results were the same in my initial statement)

3. Uninstalled / Istall BF1

4. Uninstall / Install Origin

5. Turned off Cloud Storage

6. GPU Restrictions ON

7. V-Sync OFF (I always turn it off)

8. GPU and CPU temps are WELL within temp range not enabling for PC to crash.

As you can see below, my PC set up can handle BF1 quite well, even on ULTRA settings, but I prefer MED-HIGH settings myself. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I know it's doing this ONLY for BF1. With the new Nvidia Driver, I can start up and play WoW without a crash, so, I know its not Blizzard / WoW applications. Between a week ago and earlier today, I never had any errors or crashes, it just started today. Not sure why. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

*Forgot to mention, running Windows 8.1 (64-bit).

Comments

• OskooI_007
    566 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 11
    - Turn off Origin cloud storage
    - Delete 'Battlefield 1' folder from your 'Documents' folder
    - Restart Battlefield 1

This will create a new save file. You'll lose all your single player progress and game settings though.
  • DigimortalDrones

@Oskool_007

Followed those EXACT instructions, still failed to "save progress". I also researched on the net for other possible fixes/solutions, so far, I've conducted the following when creating a new user account on my PC:

Prior to creating new Windows user account:

1. Uninstalled BF1 from Origin

2. Uninstalled Origin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Created new Windows user account w/ Admin permissions.

4. Installed Origin (with Cloud Storage and Origin In-Game disabled)

5. Installed BF1.

6. Uninstalled Nvidia Driver from Device Manager.

7. Restarted PC for driver uninstall to take effect.

8. Installed latest Nvidia Driver from Nvidia site.

9. Nvidia Control Panel > Power Management > Max Performance (suggested through Nvidia users who sought this as a fix, usually it's Adaptive)

10. Control Panel (Windows) > Power Management > High Performance (used Basic as default in my first attempt from 1st post)

11. Started BF1 (no save errors).

12. Continued with Prologue

13. After Prologue, PC immediately crashed before getting to BF1 Main Menu screen to "update client".

14. After PC restarted, restarted BF1 received ''Your save file(s) are corrupt and could not be read by the game, continuing will overwrite the save.''!.

15. Went though the Prologue again, without changing ANY setting except video setting for Full Screen (1920x1080 at 144Mhz) which is and has always been my normal settings.

16. PC crashed again before getting to Main Menu.

At this point, I'm unsure what do to next. It's always crashing right after the Prologue ends and just before it gets to the main menu to update the BF1 client. Previously I've ran scf /scannow in cmd prompt (no issues), memtest86x (no issues). So, I'm not sure what's causing this all of a sudden from yesterday and today after a SOLID week of playing BF1.

In my event viewer:

"Event 41, Kernel-Power"

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

AND

"Event 7022, Service Control Manager"..."The Device Setup Manager service hung on starting."

I'm starting to think it's either GPU or might be WIndows 8.1, not sure, I haven't had many issues with this GPU for years ever since I bought It back in 2014. I've also stressed tested my GTX 1070 and temps do not exceed 80C. I can run any other game, its 99% Origin and Battlefield games causing my PC to crash somehow. My mind is going 1000 MPH right now. Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks.

• DigimortalDrones

@Oskool_007

I conducted the EXACT instructions above and result was the same.

I further conducted these steps to see if there would be any changes.

1. Uninstalled BF1

2. Uninstalled Origin.

3. Created a new Windows User Account w/ Admin Permissions

4. Installed Origin (disabled Cloud Sync and Origin In-Game overlay)

5. Installed Battlefield 1

6. Uninstalled Nvidia Driver from Device Manager

7. Restated PC

8. Installed current Nvidia Driver from Nvidia website w/ CLEAN download (excluding GeForce Experience, HD Audio)

9. Restarted PC

10. Started up BF1, no save errors.

11. Played though Prologue w/ only changing Video settings (1920x1080 at 144Mhz) this has always been my settings.

12. PC crashed just after and just before getting to the BF1 Main Menu to "Update Client".

13. After system restarted, I restarted BF1 to encounter the corrupted save file error again (very frustrated now) and ran through the Prologue once again to crash just before getting to the main menu.

13. After PC crashed, checked event viewer (these are pretty common when my PC crashes).

Events:

Event 41 Kernel-Power > The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Event 7022, Service Control Manger > The Device Setup Manager service hung on starting.

I've also ran sfc /scannow and memtest86x for any errors to which, there were none. BF1.exe has always been allowed through my firewalls, ect. So, there's never been a problem there. I've also in the past stress tested my GPU to the max and the temp never went past 80C, during Idle, my temps range from 35-50C. Most of the time, my graphics card is fairly warm to the touch but not hot at all.

My system power options is set at High Performance, Nvidia Control Global Setting is set to "maximum performance" (usually adaptive).

I've never encountered this many crashes since buying my PC in 2013 and the GTX 1070 in 2014. I can play WoW w/o a crash, it's 99% of the time Origin and Battlefield games that been causing these issues. So, not sure what the next step is. Reinstall Windows 8.1 or upgrade to Windows 10? Would that make any difference or is it something else, hardware or software? Any assistance is much appreciated. Thanks!

• OskooI_007
    Anything overclocked? I'd remove all overclocks and disable XMP in the bios. Even though Memtest came back clean, you could also try installing just one ram stick and see if the crashing stops. Most crashes are ram related.
  • BigF33t_13
    6624 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I don't see "Reinstall Windows" in that list. Something to think about.
  • DigimortalDrones

@Oskool_007

I was curious why my GPU was getting so hot so quick at times, so, I took about 45 min to disassemble my GTX 1070 and low and behold, it was filthy with dust all in the inside, so, it's now clean as it came out of the box. I also checked the heat sink and thermal pads, still very new, thermal pads still sticky and heat sink adhesive is still pasty (not dried out at all). So, that was a good visual.

I've downloaded MSI Afterburner and Open Hardware Monitor today to keep an eye on my GPU/CPU temps as well. While I could not get BF1 to run after several attempts due to the save file errors, I played WoW with MSI Afterburner working in the background to keep my temps regulated.

My current MSI Afterburner profile while playing WoW for about 30 min:

Power Limit: 100%

Temp Limit: 83%

Core Clock: +55

Memory Clock: +450

Fan Speed: 60%

And these are VERY stable while playing WoW, the highest temp I've reached while playing WoW was around 60-72C. On idle, it's at 27C now and the 1070 case feels really cool right now at7:55pm (EST). So, I believe I can rule out my GPU, for now. My CPU temps idle are around 32-39C and while playing WoW they were about 70-80C range while playing WoW. So pretty normal temps for both CPU/GPU.

I haven't conducted the memory stick test yet, I'll do that one for sure. I don't know if this matters, but I have 2 "factory" ASUS RAM DDR3 (2x8G) Sticks and 2 PNY DDR3 RAM (2x8G) Sticks of PC3-12800 DDR3.

@BigF33t_13

If all else fails, I'll either clean boot Win 8.1 again or obtain Win 10. The thing is, how is it I can run WoW w/o crashing yet, try to play BF1 with CLEAN driver install, deleted my BF1 folder under "Documents" for a clean save file and disable Cloud Sync in Origin for BF1. I'm stumped.

Thank you both for the assistance. I'll keep you updated.

• DigimortalDrones

@Oskool_007

I forgot to mention, I do not have the XMP option in my BioS for the ASUS M51AC Desktop. I have the 2013 ASUS M51AC BiOS version 1002 (64-bit) installed from ASUS website (which is the most current BiOS version for that PC model).

• DigimortalDrones

@Oskool_007

Ok!! Success, we're getting real close for it to being stable, however BF1 did crash 10 min into multiplayer. Ok, so, here's what I did...

1. Removed the 2 factory ASUS DDR3 RAM (2x8G) and replaced them with PNY DDR3 (2x4G) sticks that I had from another ASUS Essentio Desktop that I had for about 2 years before I replaced it with my ASUS M51AC Desktop. So now I've got 24G RAM, (I'll take it anyway).

2. Deleted "Documents > Battlefield 1" for a fresh save file.

3. Origin > BF1 > Game Properties > unchecked Cloud Sync (I knew I might of missed that the first time). So both Origin AND BF1 Cloud Storage/Sync are DISABLED.

4. Started MSI Afterburner >  ALL Default settings with the exception of raising the GPU Fan to 60%.

4. Restarted BF1 > Main Menu > Updated Client > Multiplayer > then went on to personalize my usual settings.

5. GPU temps after 10 min of game player low as 43C and peak was 54C.

6. In 10 min time, PC crashed > Restarted.

So, it looks like it may have been the 2 factory ASUS mem sticks. But I'm still crashing, hmm. It's getting there, but not stable enough,....yet. Thoughts?

• OskooI_007
    Try it with only one ram stick plugged in. Just to see if it will stop crashing. That way you can rule out if it's a ram issue or not.
  • DigimortalDrones
    @Oskool_007

Ok, I can confirm ruling out memory is the issue based on the tests I’ve conducted today as per your suggestions (including my Memory Diagnostics and memtest86x which both resulted in ZERO errors in memory) BF1 kept crashing regardless with each memory stick that was tested. The memtest86 took 9 hours to complete a full memory scan and 15 tests which resulted in zero errors and overall 48/48 passed tests, that was good to see.

I think tomorrow (Sunday) I will perform a clean reinstall of Windows 8.1 to wipe out any possible file corruption. I’ve also read to skip installing Kernel-Power updates via Windows Update since I’ve read a lot of people have done such and haven’t had BF1 crash since by not installing Kernel-Power updates.

Would you suggest reinstall of Windows 8.1 or should I try something else? Thanks in advance.
  • OskooI_007
    Yeah I'd try reinstalling Windows. If you still experience crashes after the reinstall then it's probably a hardware issue. Obviously not a ram issue, you already ruled that out.
  • DigimortalDrones
    Hopefully the reinstallation of Win 8.1 fixes it. It it persists, we’ll, I can probably narrow it down to the graphics card (I have a spare GTX 770 4G) and PSU (which I personally don’t think would be the issue) but it gives the correct voltage to all of my hardware easily as I’ve checked that as well.

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 600WHt ATX 12v 2.3
  • DigimortalDrones

@Oskool_007

@BigF33t_13

Ok, so, after 2 1/2 days of trial and error including wiping my entire PC and Window 8.1 back to factory settings, reinstalling Windows 8 > 8.1, updating BiOS, re-installed Origin and BF1 as the ONLY game on my PC right now, BF1 STILL crashes regardless. Yes, I even also made BF1 "run as admin" as well. I've conducted every step, searched tons of sites with other gamers with "solutions and fixes" to BF1 crashes, (I know not all PC's will react the same) and found majority of players are having the exact SAME issue with BF1 crashing, even people that have close to high end PC's are crashing like crazy.

It was the SAME thing that happened BEFORE I started all of this, receiving "save file error" and after completing the prologue PC crashing just before getting to the main menu. At this time, I'm extremely frustrated. I've even switched out my GTX 1070 and installed my "older" GTX 770 to see if it made a difference, none at all.

With the GTX 770 (I've actually played BF1 / BF4 on that GTX 770 for over a year w/o ANY crashes/issues on a different EA account years ago), I ensured with the 770, just like with my Origin and BF1 settings with my GTX 1070, Origin In-Game Overlay, Cloud Storage ect were disabled. Clean save profiles. And when I started BF1, insta PC crash. I don't get it, I've ran out of options. I haven't installed Battle.net or WoW yet, I wanted to start with Origin/BF1 before I would re-install my other games. I dunno what else to do here. Running Open Monitor Display, and my readings are well within operating parameters, from temps to PSU voltage, I don't get it. Am I missing something? Is it my PC or is it BF1/Origin? I know people are playing BF1 flawlessly, but how is this still happening to some of us who cant even get the game to work? What are we (I) doing wrong that they are not?

Everything I have in my PC is from 2013, original mobo, original HD, original factory 2x8G RAM sticks, (8G), original CPU i7-4770 3.4Ghz. The only things that I've upgraded in 2014 after I bought my ASUS M51AC was the GTX 1070, Thermaltake 600W PSU, and PNY (2x8G) DDR3 RAM (same compatible RAM specs from factory DDR3 RAM) and for 4 more years, I've NEVER encountered so much crashing in ANY BF series other other games ive played from Battle.net or Steam games. Most of my intermittent crashes started happening around November 2018 after BFV release and more Nvidia Driver release. I've noticed a increased amount of crashes after the March 2019 Nvidia Driver and BFV updates. I don't understand, I wanna take a sledgehammer to my PC right now. /rant.

Thank you both for lending your assistance thus far. I'm open to any further suggestions (including the sledgehammer!). Thanks again!

• OskooI_007
    My next guess would be the power supply. But it's only a guess. Event 41 Kernel-Power does list a failing power supply as a possible cause.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2028504/windows-kernel-event-id-41-error-the-system-has-rebooted-without-clean
  • DigimortalDrones
    edited May 14
    My next guess would be the power supply. But it's only a guess. Event 41 Kernel-Power does list a failing power supply as a possible cause.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2028504/windows-kernel-event-id-41-error-the-system-has-rebooted-without-clean
    I’m thinking this only happening when I play games though. When I did the memtest86 the other day, my PC was running a SOLID 9-10 hours straight without a crash or hang up. When I was resetting my PC to factory settings, PC ran a SOLID 8-9 hours without a crash. I’ve checked PSU compatibility charts with my current set up and my PSU recommendation was a 600W PSU based on CPU, GPU, RAM, hours of playing games/consumption per day (which is around 8 hrs).

I know it can be a multitude of issues causing, but it’s 98% happening with BF games, WoW rarely crashes, I would say may 1-2 a day if that.

Today, I did notice my GTX 1070 got extremely hot to the touch (it was almost like putting my hand on a hot hood of a vehicle), from a cold start rapidly increasing heat just playing through the Prologue and results were complete shutdown of the PC after the Prologue. I set the GPU fan to 40%, but still had no effect. Temps reached high 70’s close to 80C. My power management is “Balanced” under Power Settings > CPU > Power Management > 90%.

Im not sure bud, I’ve read your link, it makes sense. Even though my PC is running a 600W PSU, I don’t think I’ll be able to test it out with a factory 250-300W supply since I have more demanding hardware, I.e. GTX 1070 and extra 16G of RAM.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Update...I played WoW 45 min straight, highest GPU temp recorded by MSI Afterburner was 65C and steady between 53-65C with GPU Fan Speed at 40%, no crashes.
    Post edited by DigimortalDrones on
  • DigimortalDrones
    I just installed WoW and played for 45 min straight. Highest temp recorded by MSI Afterburner was 65C. GPU temps fluctuated between 53-65C at peak performance while gaming and stready. Although the card was warm-hot to the touch, no system or game crashes.
  • OskooI_007
    OskooI_007 said:

I’m thinking this only happening when I play games though. When I did the memtest86 the other day, my PC was running a SOLID 9-10 hours straight without a crash or hang up. When I was resetting my PC to factory settings, PC ran a SOLID 8-9 hours without a crash. I’ve checked PSU compatibility charts with my current set up and my PSU recommendation was a 600W PSU based on CPU, GPU, RAM, hours of playing games/consumption per day (which is around 8 hrs).

I know it can be a multitude of issues causing, but it’s 98% happening with BF games, WoW rarely crashes, I would say may 1-2 a day if that.

Today, I did notice my GTX 1070 got extremely hot to the touch (it was almost like putting my hand on a hot hood of a vehicle), from a cold start rapidly increasing heat just playing through the Prologue and results were complete shutdown of the PC after the Prologue. I set the GPU fan to 40%, but still had no effect. Temps reached high 70’s close to 80C. My power management is “Balanced” under Power Settings > CPU > Power Management > 90%.

Im not sure bud, I’ve read your link, it makes sense. Even though my PC is running a 600W PSU, I don’t think I’ll be able to test it out with a factory 250-300W supply since I have more demanding hardware, I.e. GTX 1070 and extra 16G of RAM.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Update...I played WoW 45 min straight, highest GPU temp recorded by MSI Afterburner was 65C and steady between 53-65C with GPU Fan Speed at 40%, no crashes.

The only way to test if it's an issue with the power supply would be to run a CPU intensive benchmark such as Prime95 while simultaneously running a GPU intensive benchmark 3DMark.

Running both benchmarks at the same time should put enough stress on the power supply to see if it's stable.
  • DigimortalDrones
    @Oskool_007
    @BigF33t_13

Well, I put a lot of thought process into this situation and I’ve concluded that I’m also in need of upgrading my PC anyway since everything is from 2013-2014 and DDR3 and my mobo are pretty much going obsolete trying to keep up with high end gaming, processor speeds and RAM. I’ll be upgrading everything that’s superior to what I currently have tomorrow, pretty stoked about putting it together, just not stoked re-installing everything..lol.

New:
    i5-9600K 3.7Ghz (Up to 4.6Ghz)
    Gigabyte Z390 UD MOBO (Intel LGA1151/Z390/ATX/M.2)
    MSI GAMING GeForce RTX 2060 6G GDRR6 192-bit HDMI/DP Ray Tracing Turing Architecture.
    EVGA 650 BQ, 80+ Bronze, 650W, Semi Modular.
    DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400R CPU Air Cooler with 4 Heat pipes 120mm
    Corsair Vengence LPX 16G (2x8G) 2400MHz DDR4 RAM
    WD Blue NAND 500GB PC SSD SATA III 6Gb/s

It was time to upgrade now, after 6 years and I usually upgrade around 4-5 anyway since I know PC tech changes rapidly. I figured upgrade now, save myself some pain for another 6 years. I’ll defiantly keep all of these tips for future use...thank you both.