Which one is it?: "I can't see anyone in BF V!!" or "Spotting was easy-mode, glad it is gone."

Astr0damus
2904 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
Seems like you hear a lot of people say they are glad being able to spot enemies is gone because it was "easy mode". Yet we also hear (on these forums) that it is almost impossible to see enemies on BF V maps. I think DICE attempted to fix that issue, but wasn't spotting better?
Someone (JFrags) did a video where he laid down on Devastation and watched (without engaging the enemy) while enemy players ran right past him without seeing him. This wouldn't be such an issue if spotting were brought back.

===
Note: I know in a perfect world, everyone would wear a headset and communicate with voice (ie: "there is a scout/recon on top of the shed at Flag C") but we know this isn't the case, and with console, comms are limited to your squad only, whereas on PC, one can communicate via text, to the whole TEAM (I think even enemies can see everything typed). Plus, on console, the time it would take to type something would be useless. This is why spotting, in my opinion, is necessary in future BF games.
---
What are your thoughts on these conflicting ideas? "I can't see anyone in BF V!!" or "Spotting was easy-mode, glad it's gone."

Comments

• JamieCurnock
    735 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I never really had an issue with visibility but appreciate lots of other people did so it needed attention.

My two cents on spotting is that removing spotting was the best move they made and I was very sceptical before bfv released. I was surprised by how much more I enjoyed it and am now totally converted.
  • BURGERKRIEG
    1065 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ^
    See what I mean?

It’s too late for that type of change now. 

It it will be back next game though, I bet.
  • flatrock101
    149 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I thought i was going blind.
  • Ploodovic
    1642 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    All it takes is one flare. Then JackFrags would’ve been spotted on both the minimap and in 3D space. Use flares.

When I go back to BF1, I miss the ability to spot a position. If I see someone go behind cover, I can’t spot them there, and I can’t notify my teammates that there is a threat.

Also, use flares.
  • CaptainHardware
    303 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I can see people okay in BFV at this point, always largely could except for specific points on maps. I still want 3D spotting back because it makes teams less mindless. Taking away spotting certainly hasn't helped the zerg problem that emerged in BF1, it's frigging worse then ever.

The teamplay in BFV is absolutely terrible, and the near total inability to communicate information outside of the (smaller) squads is a factor in that. The still completely broken sound and damage direction indictators of course don't help that either.

Meanwhile flanking.... any advantage no spotting has for that has been rendered irrelevant by chronically poor map design and poor vehicle mechanics (why are 3 towed weapons in my uncap but the game wont spawn a transport? ect...). Flanking on foot takes so long it's basically not a useful use of time on most maps.

Basically nerfing spotting on it's own might not be world ending for teamplay, but no spotting plus all the other changes has just made the game dumber, and people play it dumber then ever as a result. Everything DICE had done for years to mitigate the basic problems of a 64 player shooter was reversed and replaced with nothing. The game is more team death match then ever, and I think it no surprise that this goes badly.

The next game needs to throw a lot of this stuff out, bring a lot of stuff back, starting with bigger squads, and certainly, I would be open to other entirely new ideas, but I never see any suggested.

• BURGERKRIEG
    1065 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Regarding visibility BFV seems to be like one of those “magic eye” pictures from the 90’s.

Some people say “Oh look I see a sail boat!”

others, “That’s just a mash of dots.”
  • dandop_oq7r7ppf
    313 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Spotting was a crux, and I'm glad it's gone, or minimized. 
    Visibility was another issue, which I think is fine after the last patch.

• Astr0damus
    2904 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Player visibility and spotting are two completely different subjects. There is no contradiction.
    I can see where you are coming from (pun intended) like "How can I spot someone if I cannot see them in the first place?"
    But, on the other hand, maybe you cannot see them, but perhaps someone else did and spotted them, so instead of not seeing them laying there in the rubble, this time you see them because someone communicated that to you.
    So wile these may seem like different issues, they are loosely connected.
  • ElliotLH
    9538 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think that spotting and visibility are a bit like Marmite.
  • barnesalmighty2
    1624 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH wrote: »

Personally I don't care either way it goes, spotting is great for kill farming no spotting is great for flanking and kill farming. As I have said many times I have zero issue with visibility on a 60" 4k TV with a pro. I hooked up my standard ps4 to same TV and it was terrible though, so won't be trying that again.
  • ElliotLH
    9538 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH wrote: »

Personally I don't care either way it goes, spotting is great for kill farming no spotting is great for flanking and kill farming. As I have said many times I have zero issue with visibility on a 60" 4k TV with a pro. I hooked up my standard ps4 to same TV and it was terrible though, so won't be trying that again.

There are benefits with both systems (spotting) but it just doesn't seem to me like a lot of people think that way.

I don't have too many issues with visibility now for the most part (don't have a 4K TV). There are some map areas which catch me out still, where I just can't see the enemy at all, but that could be my eyes. It is a much talked about topic though and I have some friends with Xbox X consoles and 4K TVs who do seem to find visibility to be poor.

This is what I was meaning by Marmite though - some people hate the spotting system in V and some love it, and some hate the visibility while others feel it's fine. Maybe it was a poor analogy.
  • BURGERKRIEG
    Hawxxeye said:
    As previously said, it was easier to make out enemies from the terrain even without spotting in past titles.
    I think it would be worth if when the private servers come around they add an option to return Q spotting as a custom option (aka not default).
    This could serve as a good experiment to get data from as well as to see how people feel about it
    Yes, a sensible observation and a great suggestion.

• Matty101yttam
    1466 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Just need a middle ground, it's fairly silly the only choices are complete stealth or the big red "here i am" sign above your head.
    I feel one aspect of the game that's making it hard is the foliage, i've seen other games have the foliage flatten when you get close, this makes a person stand out and makes a lot more movement for other players to spot. Currently the foliage sticks through your body effectively becoming a ghillie suit.
    Another aspect is the live players getting lost in bodies, this could be rectified by more blood/dirt on the dead bodies when killed/needing revive so live players will look more "fresh" when laying down.
    Lastly they can reduce the natural blending they've added, for instance in fjell all the soldiers get a snow overlay on them , which makes them blend in much more effectively, knocking that back a bit would help...doesn't have to be to the point that you have perfect soldiers running around, but just less than it is now.

Same goes for spotting, it doesn't have to be exactly like it was, it was a bit to casual before, because you just spammed an area and forgot about it, by making say spotting binoculars that force you to actively stay spotting it gives it a more realistic approach while reducing the overuse or 24/7 being spotted. I'm thinking binocs where you have a small circle to indicate a spotting area center of screen, any target you spot under that stays 3d spotted while you have line of sight, the moment you lose sight(they go behind a wall or you put the binocs down to get a gun out) you lose the spots instantly.