This Week in Battlefield V

How Are There Still No Death Boxes?

ShadoWawker
40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
I took a break from firestorm and bf5 for a month or so and started playing again yesterday.

When i killed my first enemy i was shocked to find that loot still scatters on the ground and is a pain in the **** to pick up and sort through. Its a horrible system

The gameplay and pace and graphics and sound in firestorm is all very good, the only major issue i have with this mode (and it is a very major one) is the lack of death boxes

How hard is it to implement this into the game? Would it really take longer than a week if the devs worked on it? Is it that they cant do it or that they dont want to for some inexplicable reason?

Blackout has it, apex has it, pubg has it, like this is a standard feature in fps battle royale games why is firestorm the only one that uses this horrendous loot system and still hasnt fixed it even after the mode has been out for over 2 months already

Have they talked about adding in death boxes? If so what is the timeline on it? Because this cannot come soon enough and firestorm will be much better if and when it is added into the game

Comments

• tempo_rarity
    1055 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I ran through the train cars sitting high atop that trestle bridge (near Nannahavn?) , starting with the ones still on the track .
    When I got to the last car that's hanging off of the bridge at a crazy slanted angle though , there was a fellow camped inside .
    His ambush plan in killing me was perfect , except for one giant gaping oversight that he didn't think of .
    Almost ALL of my Loot slid right out of that big wide open door of the train car and fell down into the valley below .
    . .  Big laugh of course , but it turns into ROFLMAO as Spectate takes over . 
    He goes over to the door and looks down for quite a while , and just before he turns around I swear I heard a sigh and saw his shoulders fall . . . :lol:

Today my killer had to climb up and down a mountain to shop through all of the Loot I dropped .
    . . . 
    The current BR mode that Battlefield offers indeed includes ; as you say ; a Non-Standard Loot drop 'system' quite UNLIKE any other BR games .
    It adds the very fun risk of requiring a 'shopper' to sort through the mess of Loot offered WHEREVER they find it , as opposed to scooping up a single bag or box for sorting in a safer spot later on .
    In this manner , dropped Loot can become a lure , meant to draw other Players in - adding further elements of risk , fun and strategy obviously . 
    It means that YOU must decide WHEN to kill someone , IF you're killing them just for their Loot only .

If you wanted 'boxes' , YOU ended up in the wrong Game .
    . . . that's not Battlefields fault .
  • ShadoWawker
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Wow you are really going to defend this loot system? It is objectively bad im not buying the strategy element and it certainly isnt fun sorting through a mess when i could have been done in 10 seconds

Even if there is some positive to it (which i dont believe there is) that is vastly outweighed by the annoyance and non player friendly approach they have taken. I should not be at increased risk of getting shot for an extended period of time because the loot system in the game is horrible

If they in fact like this system and do not intend to change it then i will be very disappointed because i assumed they were always going to change it but were unable to for whatever reason. Theres a reason why all the other games have death boxes: because it works great and its objectively the best system

No need to do something different when the best option is already apparent
  • tempo_rarity
    1055 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    If you really really wanted the stuff , you'd face the risk of getting snuffed  :joy:

. . . most likely , half the time half that stuff came from high-risk places anyway .
    It keeps its value by reintroducing the risks of being RE-picked up , even if it's a mess .

You have to keep in mind the individual weapons feelings too .
    It'd be very demeaning and insulting to a sooped-up STG to be crammed into the same dropped Loot bag or box as a Luger .
    "Pick me up , if you dare!" is how it starts the Game , and under the current drop system , it gets to scream that out loud again and notallmuffledfrominsideabag  :lol:
  • Ceph777
    250 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Lets hope the patch that is supposed to drop very soon will address this, the items glitching in the environment and UI issues. Oh anti-cheat would also need nice....
  • tempo_rarity
    ^ Just experienced my first example of that environmental-glitch-weapon-stuck-thing .
    "Pick me up if you dare" was really 'Pick me up if you can" , and I couldn't . . . 
    Grrr (counts to 10)  . . maybe. . . . . . save the Loot-Flicking but lose the Loot-Sticking :smile:
  • ShadoWawker
    Ceph_v74 wrote: »
    Lets hope the patch that is supposed to drop very soon will address this, the items glitching in the environment and UI issues. Oh anti-cheat would also need nice....

Speaking of items glitching i just had a stack of rifle ammo glitch into the wall so i couldnt pick it up at all which left me with 0 rifle ammo. Another huge reason why death boxes must be added
  • ShadoWawker
    ^ Just experienced my first example of that environmental-glitch-weapon-stuck-thing .
    "Pick me up if you dare" was really 'Pick me up if you can" , and I couldn't . . . 
    Grrr (counts to 10)  . . maybe. . . . . . save the Loot-Flicking but lose the Loot-Sticking :smile:

No, the system is horrible. Death boxes will fix every issue associated with this terrible loot system permanently. There is 0 good reason to keep the current system. They tried to put fortnites loot system in an fps game that simply doesnt work

• tempo_rarity
    ^ hehe yeah lets go with floating death boxes too , complete with built-in GPS , so whenever someone bags a Player on the water his stuff will sail itself right on over to the shooter . . . 

Nope
    Capping An Objective (for Loot) - Scooping Dropped Loot (or stealing a Supply Drop) (for Loot) - Opening Vault Doors (for Vehicles of course but often too , for Loot)
    See the trend?
    These are three of the most dangerous activities a Player can choose to engage in in my opinion .
    Highly risky , but each of them highly rewarding as well .
    A 'death box' would change one of these into an all reward-no risk deal , which would make it . . . a 'safer' Game . . . . ewww
    So , Nope

It's probably much easier to just give dropped Loot a coded-in 'teflon coating' to eliminate the 'sticking' glitch  . . meaning a simple patch will suffice .
    Much more easier than the vast undertaking of a proposed Loot Drop emulation of other games , I mean redesign .

Something else that's critical to excitement in the Game would be removed too if dropped Loot only came in a 'box' : 
    That 'cha-ching' factor when killing a Player who has been very successful at shopping , versus killing a Player who hasn't found much of anything .
    What falls to the ground makes a certain lovely sound . . .
    I'd rather it stayed the current sound of a Loot-avalanche as opposed to a 'bonk' sound of a box hitting the ground .

• ShadoWawker
    I just had a match where twice (in the same game) items glitched into the environment after i got a kill and could not be picked up or interacted with

The first one was mg ammo (which i really couldve used at the time). And the second was a gun. What gun was it? Was it an upgrade from what i had? I’ll never know because of the horrible loot system that is currently in place

Add death boxes asap and 1 of firestorm’s two biggest problems will be fixed immediately (the other biggest problem being low player count which can be fixed by going free to play).
  • Ceph777
    250 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Latest patch was supposed to address the loot issue....I love BF so much, but this continued mess makes me so sad. Looks like I will NEVER play BC3!!!
  • DigitalHype
    774 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I think its highly unlikely you will ever see a player loot box/bag in Firestorm. They would have already done it. And just look how overloaded the current inventory mechanics are. The player "inventory" is very  much an overload of the existing BF weapon/gadget system.
    I'm told the development and testing required to do something like that on this Frostbite engine is atypically high. What you think should be a relatively simple code project is apparently a big undertaking on this engine, and would likely create a bunch of regression bugs they no longer have people to root-cause and fix. They don't have enough player interest left in the gamemode to even make it worth it.
    Just look at this entire game's astonishingly bad UI design. It' seems clear they they aren't putting any resources on that. And UI work is a major part of what would be required for "death boxes".
  • Ceph777
    I think its highly unlikely you will ever see a player loot box/bag in Firestorm. They would have already done it. And just look how overloaded the current inventory mechanics are. The player "inventory" is very  much an overload of the existing BF weapon/gadget system.
    I'm told the development and testing required to do something like that on this Frostbite engine is atypically high. What you think should be a relatively simple code project is apparently a big undertaking on this engine, and would likely create a bunch of regression bugs they no longer have people to root-cause and fix. They don't have enough player interest left in the gamemode to even make it worth it.
    Just look at this entire game's astonishingly bad UI design. It' seems clear they they aren't putting any resources on that. And UI work is a major part of what would be required for "death boxes".
    I highly disagree, you are looking at this wrong.

The common Rose popup can be re-worked to include the items from the floor, AKA the LOOT ROSE, the pop and mechanics are already there, it just needs to pull its data from what is on the floor.

I will be making a new thread on how I propose how this would work.
  • DigitalHype
    774 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Ceph_v74 wrote: »

I highly disagree, you are looking at this wrong.

The common Rose popup can be re-worked to include the items from the floor, AKA the LOOT ROSE, the pop and mechanics are already there, it just needs to pull its data from what is on the floor.

I will be making a new thread on how I propose how this would work.

check back in 6 months. ill wager you $20 loot will still be on the ground.