Major FPS Drops and Stuttering Issues

iHer0TK
3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
Alright, so I do not know if I am the only one who is facing this but at least I am certain that it renders the game utterly unplayable. Whenever I spawn / respawn I will be facing like 3 minutes of random stuttering, and it occurs during fights (like 1vs1 encounters). I used to play the game months before Mercury has deputed, and I can't recall facing any performances issues such as the aforementioned one. Now, however, it seems like a total mess.

I am running on a GTX 1070, i7 4770 and 8GB of RAM. (Yes, I know. They are not the best specs but I used to have a great, smooth gameplay sessions at ultra settings and now everything is garbage. What went wrong?)

Comments

• sendjes
    558 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Have a search.
  • CosmicDance2020
    26 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Here are some things to try that have helped my performance improve and others too with this badly optimised game.

Use DX11 as 12 has terrible performance right now.
    Turn Future Frame Rendering on in BF V graphic settings.
    Download and run the free 'Empty Standby List Cleaner' program - press start in its window but no real need to tweak the other settings it has I have found.

Use MSI Afterburner and display your GPU & CPU usge ingame to see any bottlenecks.
    If you have any GPU bottlenecks like 97% and upward usage then try lower graphic settings a bit.

I know you enjoyed Ultra before but until Dice release the full version of this game instead of this Beta it helps.

In particular the 3 Lighting Quality, Effects Quality and Post Processing Quality hit the GPU hard so try High/Medium as they don't have a huge adverse effect on overall graphics quality you see.

The first setting 'Graphics Quality' in the options does have a huge impact on your FPS so try changing that too.
    If you have to compromise and lose quality then if you are running 1920 X 1080 or 2560 X 1440 resolution try increasing the
    Resolution Scale in increments of 25% to gain some crispness in picture quality.
    This setting hammers the GPU if you go too high so try different ones.

Hope this helps as I am enjoying this game for all its faults.

Andy
  • lI_BIG_DADDY_Il
    191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Check this out - seems like it going to be fixed soon:

https://twitter.com/jaqubajmal?lang=da

"BFV - Patch notes for the next update almost complete. 

Ended up being a good 9-10 pages. 

Improvements to stuttering/performance issues are in this update, good results from internal testing. 

Going into final testing phase soon.

06.04 - 14. jun. 2019"
  • lI_BIG_DADDY_Il
    191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 15
    Double post - deleted by user
    Post edited by lI_BIG_DADDY_Il on
  • Meinstere
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hello, I encounter the same problem with a Ryzen 7 1700x (stock) and 16gb of 2866mhz ram (+1070). On twisted steel, rotterdam or merkur, I have drop to 55-56fps (I have a 60hz monitor, with vsync on). It's difficult to have a correct gameplay with drops like that ;:/
  • CSO7777
    1085 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Meinstere said:
    Hello, I encounter the same problem with a Ryzen 7 1700x (stock) and 16gb of 2866mhz ram (+1070). On twisted steel, rotterdam or merkur, I have drop to 55-56fps (I have a 60hz monitor, with vsync on). It's difficult to have a correct gameplay with drops like that ;:/
    You really should turn off vsync. Vsync lowers your max framerate and will probably also lower you min. framerates as well (the CPU keeps waiting for sync), removing VSync will giver lower input lag but will introduce screen tearing. But the max framerates will improve and that can improve your min framerate as well. because dropped frames means less when running at higher fps, if the game drops 10 FPS you will not notice it at all if the FPS is 90 to begin with (unless of course the game still drops below 60 FPS).
  • Meinstere
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Thanks for the tip, but with vsync off I have a important screentearing :/ idk if there is a way to fix that, but if there is I will be happy to know it :)
  • Jezzzeh
    753 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

"BFV - Patch notes for the next update almost complete. Ended up being a good 9-10 pages. Improvements to stuttering/performance issues are in this update, good results from internal testing. Going into final testing phase soon.06.04 - 14. jun. 2019"

God I hope they release this and it works, the stuttering I get isnt gamebreaking but it is unpredictable and if it does happen it's usually at the worst moments.

• JimmYPT80
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 16
    Im praying for this release
  • Tuco_Ramirez_1
    219 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Jezzzeh wrote: »

"BFV - Patch notes for the next update almost complete. Ended up being a good 9-10 pages. Improvements to stuttering/performance issues are in this update, good results from internal testing. Going into final testing phase soon.06.04 - 14. jun. 2019"

God I hope they release this and it works, the stuttering I get isnt gamebreaking but it is unpredictable and if it does happen it's usually at the worst moments.

Exactly this. Sometimes it can be butter smooth then next night it's a stutter/lag fest.
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    1246 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    They implemented a patch somewhere along the lines that pretty much broke the already not very well optimized game. 
    Unless you are rocking a 8700(or equivalent or better) then you'll have to put up with the stutterfest that is BFV. Or you can cap your fps to 100 or below.

• f0rcefl0w
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have a 6700K and a 1070ti.
    If I leave my FPS unlocked, it reaches 120-ish, but the stutter is horrible, I can see it on the CPU graph. CPU time spikes well up.

If I cap it to 100 or 90, the game feels a lot smoother, and the CPU time doesn't spike as high.

My theory? At high framerates (>100), the CPU strain is horrible at the moment, resulting in sudden spikes which overall make the game feel stuttery.
  • fartyfarmer
    16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yes I get his too, especially in the new game mode. It spoils gameplay because it coincides with being spotted or shot at etc. or when players spawn on you. I guess this is not surprising and I guess theyll fix it.
  • chinook240
    68 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Improvements to stuttering/performance issues are in this update, good results from internal testing. 

06.04 - 14. jun. 2019"
    Does anyone (other than Dice) know when this wonder patch will be released?
  • iHer0TK
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

06.04 - 14. jun. 2019"
    Does anyone (other than Dice) know when this wonder patch will be released?
      I think it's coming by the end of this month.
  • Tuco_Ramirez_1
    219 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It was butter smooth last night and just played a round 2 mins ago on Arras and although fps was high it ran like a dog.. FPS at E flag would drop to 90's but felt like 30's. The Gpu and CPU were spiking together when this was happening. At other flags it was smooth at 144 fps with both graphs flat-lined. 
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    1246 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It was butter smooth last night and just played a round 2 mins ago on Arras and although fps was high it ran like a dog.. FPS at E flag would drop to 90's but felt like 30's. The Gpu and CPU were spiking together when this was happening. At other flags it was smooth at 144 fps with both graphs flat-lined. 
    What are your specs friendo?
  • Tuco_Ramirez_1
    I5 8400 6 core. 16 gb ddr4 ram, vega 64, 144hz freesync monitor. Game installed on Ssd drive.
  • BigMac4Homeless
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    i have no clue what dice did with last update but for fk sake bring it back. cpu usage hits the sky, fps goes up and down like a roller coaster, doesn't matter you are on ultra or on low details it ends up with same result. when gpu usage goes down from 100% fps goes down with it. i hope next update will be step forward not backwards. for now game is not playable. makes me regret i paid money for it.
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    i have no clue what dice did with last update but for fk sake bring it back. cpu usage hits the sky, fps goes up and down like a roller coaster, doesn't matter you are on ultra or on low details it ends up with same result. when gpu usage goes down from 100% fps goes down with it. i hope next update will be step forward not backwards. for now game is not playable. makes me regret i paid money for it.
    Same deal for me.
    Graphic details have minimal effect on CPU usage and performance. I can play on ultra or low/mid/high details and the difference is marginal.