Make A New Game

5hadyBrady
467 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
I have to say this because a lot of people direct criticism toward this game or the developers, most of which is justified, but they're complaining on a micro level.  I was 98% finished with this Tides Of War mission, and the game is so boring I didn't even care to finish the last 2% of the challenge. Why does this happen? The short answer is, we've already beat this game. I can prove it. Think about any game in life. It doesn't have to be a video game, it can be sport or any competition. Typically you have a problem, and the competitors compete against one another to become the most efficient. If you take motorsport for instance, the competition in motorsport is the efficiency of the automobile. Initially there's exponential growth. Every season, or year, somebody makes an exponential leap toward efficiency. However, once you reach the efficiency plateau, the rate of growth is incremental and predictable. So much so that if you talk to a Formula 1 team, they can tell you how much faster their car is going to be 2 seasons from now. This is where Battlefield is. When the rate of growth slows down to small incremental steps, it's time to move on. It's where all games eventually end up. The developers know this. This is why Battlefield has turned into a series of mini games. They don't have confidence in the old game for good reason. If you join a server, there are 64 people in the same server, most of which are playing a different game. A percentage are playing the game mode, a percentage are playing for kills, assignments, tides of war missions, unlocks, skins etc. I've brought this up in the past because I've noticed that a large percentage of the community disagree on what the point of the game is now. There are a lot of players who don't even seem to believe winning the game is important. I have sympathy for these folks , because they're not mind readers. If you buy Battlefield today, and install it, it's pretty easy to see why somebody would assume the daily missions or "unlocks" are what Battlefield is. They don't know what Battlefield was 10 years ago. Why would they? So I'm not angry with those people. I'm not going to tell them to "PTFO" if the developers aren't making it obvious to them. The developers are the ones who should be telling people to "PTFO" if were actually important. However, they're not. They've left Battlefield up for interpretation on purpose.  I'm more or less upset that Battlefield has turned into a series of mini games, and the developers haven't made the purpose of the game obvious to people. There shouldn't be a large group of people playing this game who disagree on what the purpose of the game is. At some point you to move on. A lot of people want to tear down progress, or become regressive so that they can go back to "the glory days". They do this in motorsport as well. They want to tear down all of the engineering progress with aerodynamics and efficiency so that they can make the sport more fun. This is not a good idea. A better idea would be to encourage the people who are good at game design, to focus their creativity toward solving a new problem. Make a new game.

Comments

• LOLGotYerTags
    13843 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    @5hadyBrady
    Ain't no one going to read that wall'o'text man.

• 5hadyBrady
    467 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2019
    @5hadyBrady

I don't have that little faith in people. I do not believe people are that boring. If you think that little of the people who reside here, that's on you. It took me all of 2 minutes to read that. You can't tell me people who are on these forums care about the game, but also aren't willing to spend 2 minutes to read something. That's having it both ways. The people who wouldn't spend a minute reading something, are exactly the people I'm not speaking to. So it works in my favor.
  • superteds
    1207 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I have to say this because a lot of people direct criticism toward this game or the developers, most of which is justified, but they're complaining on a micro level.  I was 98% finished with this Tides Of War mission, and the game is so boring I didn't even care to finish the last 2% of the challenge. Why does this happen? The short answer is, we've already beat this game. I can prove it.

Think about any game in life. It doesn't have to be a video game, it can be sport or any competition. Typically you have a problem, and the competitors compete against one another to become the most efficient. If you take motorsport for instance, the competition in motorsport is the efficiency of the automobile. Initially there's exponential growth. Every season, or year, somebody makes an exponential leap toward efficiency. However, once you reach the efficiency plateau, the rate of growth is incremental and predictable. So much so that if you talk to a Formula 1 team, they can tell you how much faster their car is going to be 2 seasons from now.

This is where Battlefield is. When the rate of growth slows down to small incremental steps, it's time to move on. It's where all games eventually end up. The developers know this. This is why Battlefield has turned into a series of mini games. They don't have confidence in the old game for good reason. If you join a server, there are 64 people in the same server, most of which are playing a different game. A percentage are playing the game mode, a percentage are playing for kills, assignments, tides of war missions, unlocks, skins etc. I've brought this up in the past because I've noticed that a large percentage of the community disagree on what the point of the game is now. There are a lot of players who don't even seem to believe winning the game is important. I have sympathy for these folks , because they're not mind readers.

If you buy Battlefield today, and install it, it's pretty easy to see why somebody would assume the daily missions or "unlocks" are what Battlefield is. They don't know what Battlefield was 10 years ago. Why would they? So I'm not angry with those people. I'm not going to tell them to "PTFO" if the developers aren't making it obvious to them. The developers are the ones who should be telling people to "PTFO" if were actually important. However, they're not. They've left Battlefield up for interpretation on purpose. 

I'm more or less upset that Battlefield has turned into a series of mini games, and the developers haven't made the purpose of the game obvious to people. There shouldn't be a large group of people playing this game who disagree on what the purpose of the game is. At some point you to move on. A lot of people want to tear down progress, or become regressive so that they can go back to "the glory days". They do this in motorsport as well. They want to tear down all of the engineering progress with aerodynamics and efficiency so that they can make the sport more fun. This is not a good idea. A better idea would be to encourage the people who are good at game design, to focus their creativity toward solving a new problem. Make a new game.
    I've tried to break it up a bit but there's so many run-on sentences...

agree with the sentiment though.
  • 5hadyBrady
    edited July 2019
    Awe, you read it! <3 I have a 4k display, and I think it scales differently. What looks like a small block of text for me, probably takes up the entire screen for somebody on a lower resolution.
  • VincentNZ
    3885 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It does not help that the forum does not allow you to properly space out your paragraphs. This forum is indeed the worst when it comes to usability and posting stuff beyond one-liners. Pretty similar to the game I daresay.
    On the topic at hand: While I agree that sometimes for an outsider it is easy to see how broken a system is and that creating a new system would be the only possibility, I'd rather not have the current DICE team develop another game with the scale of Battlefield unless they can precisely pinpoint where they went wrong and how they can avoid the grave mistakes made in the development both internally and externally.
  • Zviko0
    1718 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    5hadyBrady wrote: »
    LOLGotYerTags said:
    @5hadyBrady

I don't have that little faith in people. I do not believe people are that boring. If you think that little of the people who reside here, that's on you. It took me all of 2 minutes to read that. You can't tell me people who are on these forums care about the game, but also aren't willing to spend 2 minutes to read something. That's having it both ways. The people who wouldn't spend a minute reading something, are exactly the people I'm not speaking to. So it works in my favor.

See, I've read this but not the OP. It's not about laziness or being boring or whatever you wanna call it. It hurts my eyes.
  • sabootheshaman
    1241 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This reminded me of Ty Webb in Caddyshack for some reason: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.

For the uninitiated: 
  • Venomenal1
    289 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    @5hadyBrady

I read it and he is correct. Maybe you fall into the category of a minecraft player.
  • Trokey66
    8797 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    To be fair, I didn't read most of it......
  • Matty101yttam
    1339 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2019
    Personally i feel that they've lost the heart of the game, they are so disconnected with gaming now they don't even know how to make a good one, they no longer listen to players and rely 90% on telemetry.
    Don't get me wrong i'm not saying they need to listen to all players since that's impossible but games are art and have styles, if you picked any single one person that enjoys playing games and asked them what they wanted, they would lay out their own version of the game and it would be unique and have a flavour to it.
    BF has lost that flavour, even though the artwork is great and maps LOOK like they are unique, they feel like they're...i don't know...almost procedural, and that goes for the rest of the game as well.

I feel like management has had too much control over the development, i'm sure there's guys in DICE who have that child like excited attitude of "...and how about we do this with this...that would be great" but they are being crushed by the guys up top ignoring them and saying "what do the numbers say".

At the end of the day people play games for experiences(which is why i sort of disagree with you), the better quality that experience is and the more varied the longer the enjoyment. For bf that experience had a large variation and large periods of high quality which were called "battlefield moments". That experience has been watered down over the last couple of titles though, the variation is severely diminished, it feels like i'm playing round after round of counterstrike at the moment, just running and shooting.
    In the other games you could mix it up, for instance sitting on a stationary gun was fun, you had time to soak it in, sniping had more side space in maps to flank if you just felt like sniping or spotting, gadgets were more varied and were completely different from just straight shooting weapons and explosives(for instance mav and commander). Now everything is so fast and in your face that those few variations are always short lived and are continuously replaced with a 2 second gun fight and/or a 15 second respawn timer.

Actually while typing this i didn't realise how accurate that last part was "2 second gun fight and/or a 15 second respawn timer" really sums up my experience, no matter what i want to do THAT is all bfv is, over and over and over.

• GRAW2ROBZ
    2522 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have to say this because a lot of people direct criticism toward this game or the developers, most of which is justified, but they're complaining on a micro level.  I was 98% finished with this Tides Of War mission, and the game is so boring I didn't even care to finish the last 2% of the challenge.
    Why does this happen? The short answer is, we've already beat this game. I can prove it. Think about any game in life. It doesn't have to be a video game, it can be sport or any competition. Typically you have a problem, and the competitors compete against one another to become the most efficient.
    If you take motorsport for instance, the competition in motorsport is the efficiency of the automobile. Initially there's exponential growth. Every season, or year, somebody makes an exponential leap toward efficiency. However, once you reach the efficiency plateau, the rate of growth is incremental and predictable. So much so that if you talk to a Formula 1 team, they can tell you how much faster their car is going to be 2 seasons from now.
    This is where Battlefield is. When the rate of growth slows down to small incremental steps, it's time to move on. It's where all games eventually end up. The developers know this. This is why Battlefield has turned into a series of mini games. They don't have confidence in the old game for good reason. If you join a server, there are 64 people in the same server, most of which are playing a different game.
    A percentage are playing the game mode, a percentage are playing for kills, assignments, tides of war missions, unlocks, skins etc. I've brought this up in the past because I've noticed that a large percentage of the community disagree on what the point of the game is now. There are a lot of players who don't even seem to believe winning the game is important. I have sympathy for these folks , because they're not mind readers.
    If you buy Battlefield today, and install it, it's pretty easy to see why somebody would assume the daily missions or "unlocks" are what Battlefield is. They don't know what Battlefield was 10 years ago. Why would they? So I'm not angry with those people. I'm not going to tell them to "PTFO" if the developers aren't making it obvious to them.
    The developers are the ones who should be telling people to "PTFO" if were actually important. However, they're not. They've left Battlefield up for interpretation on purpose.  I'm more or less upset that Battlefield has turned into a series of mini games, and the developers haven't made the purpose of the game obvious to people. There shouldn't be a large group of people playing this game who disagree on what the purpose of the game is.
    At some point you to move on. A lot of people want to tear down progress, or become regressive so that they can go back to "the glory days". They do this in motorsport as well. They want to tear down all of the engineering progress with aerodynamics and efficiency so that they can make the sport more fun. This is not a good idea. A better idea would be to encourage the people who are good at game design, to focus their creativity toward solving a new problem. Make a new game.
    Best to use periods to divide up paragraphs on these forums.  As for making a new game.  They got Bad Company 3 waiting for next gen consoles already.  It has 2+ years of work under its belt already.  But shocked EA doesn't have three DICE teams.  Release one game a year.  But it have two years of development time.  They got DICE LA and DICE Sweden.  Not sure if Visceral is still around or not.
  • DJTN1
    306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think the analogy is wrong. Yes, technology in gaming (or computing for that matter) hasn't changed much in a long time and yes, there are limits to creativity for a WWII type of setting but mostly greed is the creativity killer. Loot boxes, micro transactions and psychological manipulation (grind for eternity or pay up) has become more important than the game play and the enjoyment of gaming.

Unlike your car sports analogy, there's not a set of specific rules you have to follow in how you develop or design a game type. There's all kinds of things you can change up like locations, sounds, goals, rewards, weapons, vehicles, physics, etc... There's a vast amount of interchangeable variables to play with.

If you look at gaming as a whole, it's in a weird place and to me personally, it's not as fun as it used to be. If you zoom out even further and look at the world and society, it's in a weird place too. A lot of people are selfish, greedy, full of toxic hate and bully others who have different points of view or opinions than there's. They try to force their view on you regardless of where you are on your path of life and what you've learned. All that finds its way into everything. It's like a car wreck where everyone slows down to gawk but no one stops to help.

It's not going to get better until the people get better, but the situation offers up a huge opportunity for a publisher or a studio to stand out by making an honest, fun game in a sea of greed driven crap.

• trip1ex
    5079 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Not sure what OP is saying.  lol.     Something about making a new game instead of tearing up the old one.  

• Sharkbite9204
    75 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    GRAW2ROBZ wrote: »

They got Bad Company 3 waiting for next gen consoles already.  It has 2+ years of work under its belt already.  But shocked EA doesn't have three DICE teams.  Release one game a year.  But it have two years of development time.  They got DICE LA and DICE Sweden.  Not sure if Visceral is still around or not.

The way you say that, and do forgive me if I'm being assumptious here, it almost sounds like they made BFV their throwaway game so they could focus on the next big title for the new consoles. Like they're just giving us the scraps until Bad Company 3 can be released on next gen.

Then again that would explain a little too well as to why nothing is getting fixed in a timely manner.

Also Visceral got canned in 2017. They were working on an open-world Star Wars game when EA pulled the plug on them.