Weekly Debrief

Is Firestorm really THIS dead?

YourLocalPlumber
3027 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
So a couple of friends call me yesterday and asked to play FS with them. I logged in, added them to party and went to match making. We spend good 4 minutes just waiting for find a lobby, then 3 more minutes waiting for people. And when the game couldn't find anyone, it started with 24 players? For real.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/JsrmLPi.png[/img]

We've started a game with only 6 squads alive.  And it was on Friday, around 17 pm in EU region.

Dice, I think you have to do something. Not that I care, but so much time and resources were spent creating this mode, and for what? You didn't listen to us before when we said that BR in BF will not be popular. At least sell BR as a separate mode or even make it F2P for that matter.

Comments

• CaptainHardware
    302 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 7
    Sorry that you like it and the games are small, but end of the day it's better that Firestorm launches with few players then an even longer delay. Because long matchmaking times will absolutely END the game.

Yeah it probably was that dead, the long holiday weekend in the US and Canada didn't help, it depresses player counts in all games. The match making in Firestorm mixes EU and NA East players. The player count will probably improve some in the coming week.

The best thing for DICE to do would be to make the circle size adaptive to deal with lower player numbers so the rounds can cycle faster. But I don't think they have the resources to make real changes to Firestorm. I have to wonder if they ever planned to care, or if they changed plans to nerf it before the mode was even live after it's bad reception.

Free to play won't happen, I'd be utterly amazed. It actually might make EA some money, no doubt on that, but they don't care about a small amount of money or the players. They care about stockholder expectations. They spun firestorm as a major live service event success for Battlefield V. That's reality. That's fact as far as EA goes. It's done and gone and they must act like that fact is real. Firestorm 'worked', investors, please believe that our live service plan will keep succeeding.

If they went free to play they'd have all kinds of questions raised about past statements and how much money the battlefield franchise as a whole is really worth, as this would create both the player and investor expectation that future battlefield titles will be free to play. That could have a major negative stock price impact. All EA cares about right now is selling Apex battle passes, and making Firestorm free would only undercut that.

• l1z1l
    117 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Sorry that you like it and the games are small, but end of the day it's better that Firestorm launches with few players then an even longer delay. Because long matchmaking times will absolutely END the game.

Yeah it probably was that dead, the long holiday weekend in the US and Canada didn't help, it depresses player counts in all games. The match making in Firestorm mixes EU and NA East players. The player count will probably improve some in the coming week.

The best thing for DICE to do would be to make the circle size adaptive to deal with lower player numbers so the rounds can cycle faster. But I don't think they have the resources to make real changes to Firestorm. I have to wonder if they ever planned to care, or if they changed plans to nerf it before the mode was even live after it's bad reception.

Free to play won't happen, I'd be utterly amazed. It actually might make EA some money, no doubt on that, but they don't care about a small amount of money or the players. They care about stockholder expectations. They spun firestorm as a major live service event success for Battlefield V. That's reality. That's fact as far as EA goes. It's done and gone and they must act like that fact is real. Firestorm 'worked', investors, please believe that our live service plan will keep succeeding.

If they went free to play they'd have all kinds of questions raised about past statements and how much money the battlefield franchise as a whole is really worth, as this would create both the player and investor expectation that future battlefield titles will be free to play. That could have a major negative stock price impact. All EA cares about right now is selling Apex battle passes, and making Firestorm free would only undercut that.

Look at this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-01x6_fp1s
    This video watched >2000000 peoples over the world... , it is about firestorm. So potential player's of this mode has a great number's... So i think that you are one of the troll's who removed my game from the peoples, because i "like you", can't found normal games , where i get 64 peoples in firestorm...
    So i ask - why you removal me from another peoples

• xpixelbullyx
    1650 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Upvote for free to play. Shoulda been from the start. Would of pulled people to the base game. Really a way more savvy business decision would be f2p, a this point whats there to lose?
  • BaronVonGoon
    6867 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Don't recall the last time I played firestorm with more than 40 players on PC. Its usually 25-30.
  • ElliotLH
    8562 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 12
    Sure feels that way. Trying to get in to a match just now took 4 minutes, and it only matched me with 1 squad mate.

Edit: And now the matchmaking has failed for solo mode. I just want my chapter XP from this assignment, damnit.
    Post edited by ElliotLH on
  • GirthQQuakes
    69 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Long wait times and Dice not caring about widespread cheating basically killed the mode. Who wants to wait 8 minutes and then get killed by a cheater? No one. 

PubG, I'm in a round waiting for a the countdown in 8 seconds. Why is Battlefield 5-10 minutes?
  • Ceph777
    250 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Long wait times and Dice not caring about widespread cheating basically killed the mode. Who wants to wait 8 minutes and then get killed by a cheater? No one. 

PubG, I'm in a round waiting for a the countdown in 8 seconds. Why is Battlefield 5-10 minutes?
    Because players have left Firestorm because its a mess because EA messed up because there is no anti-cheat and because its dead so why invest in a lost cause!
  • BaronVonGoon
    6867 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 16
    Ceph_v74 wrote: »
    GirthQQuakes said:

Because players have left Firestorm because its a mess because EA messed up because there is no anti-cheat and because its dead so why invest in a lost cause!

The most becauses I've seen in 3 sentences. Technically if you put it on paper it's one sentence.
  • NLBartmaN
    3479 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    When I play alone I always find a squad and server within max 30 seconds on PS4.

It only takes longer to find a squad when we try to find one when we are already in a squad with 2 players, but that seems to be a bug.
  • lcpteck
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I can't find any games here in Asia....  It's like a ghost town...
  • filthmcnasty
    500 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Just tried to play squads on ps4. After a 5 minute wait I got onto a 63 player game....... with me being the only squad member in my squad, period.
  • Kompura
    271 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I tried to play Firestorm today after having break with it. 3-5 minute waiting to find a server, 2-3 minutes to autostart the game because server was not full, I landed and went to a transport vehicle. In less than a minute there was a guy with 4 panzerfausts and killed me, hmmm what? I tried second game. Same amount of waiting just to end up killed with two AT grenades and panzerfaust in two minutes. Waiting time ~10 minutes, playing time 2 minutes. I remembered why I quit playing Firestorm...
  • TheFieryHotSauce
    39 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It sucks for PC players. I make high kill solo game Firestorm videos on YouTube but now it's hard to get lobbies above 30 players. It's failing on twitch and youtube, and it feels like DICE is just forgetting Firestorm. They need more staff. 
  • ElliotLH
    8562 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It sucks for PC players. I make high kill solo game Firestorm videos on YouTube but now it's hard to get lobbies above 30 players. It's failing on twitch and youtube, and it feels like DICE is just forgetting Firestorm. They need more staff. 

The ToW tasks this week feature Firestorm heavily and they're including splash screens promoting the mode now too. Too me that implies that they're actively trying to get people to play it.
  • TheFieryHotSauce
    39 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH said:

The ToW tasks this week feature Firestorm heavily and they're including splash screens promoting the mode now too. Too me that implies that they're actively trying to get people to play it.
    That is the absolute laziest way of getting people to play it. People who own BFV have already decided whether they wanna be playing Firestorm or not. They need some drastic changes and marketing to bring in some new blood. 
  • ElliotLH
    ElliotLH said:

That is the absolute laziest way of getting people to play it. People who own BFV have already decided whether they wanna be playing Firestorm or not. They need some drastic changes and marketing to bring in some new blood. 
    I don't dispute that, but it does show that they aren't "just forgetting Firestorm" as you said. They're actively trying to get people to play it. The methods they are using and whether people actually want to play the mode (seems that most don't. Myself included) is irrelevant to your original point. 
  • TheFieryHotSauce
    ElliotLH said:
    ElliotLH said:

I don't dispute that, but it does show that they aren't "just forgetting Firestorm" as you said. They're actively trying to get people to play it. The methods they are using and whether people actually want to play the mode (seems that most don't. Myself included) is irrelevant to your original point. 
    It's certainly a polarising way of attempting to get players into Firestorm, on Reddit everyone is losing their minds as the prospect of having to dip their toes into Firestorm. It's honestly exhausting, why can't they just have a free week/weekend? They don't seem to even have a marketing team. 
  • SirBobdk
    4128 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

.People who own BFV have already decided whether they wanna be playing Firestorm or not. 
    True. Never going to play BR regardless of any assignment. Would rather loose a new gun than play BR. Not because its bad, its just not my kind of gameplay.