Updates are too big

Wickid_Splat
137 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
They need to break up the updates into parts.  The updates are too big, when your on a limited plan by the time you update the game there is no allowance to play because all the plan has been used up.  Not everyone can afford an unlimted plan.  They really need to think about the average end user here and how their updates effect the end user.

Comments

• Titan_Awaken
    663 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    This isn't a DICE/EA exclusive thing. If you buy any online triple A title nowadays, large updates and install sizes are to be expected. Just look at GTAV for example. They obviously can't cater for everybody's individual differences. 

This one's on you.
  • Wickid_Splat
    137 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It is not required that they follow the ways of everyone else, they can do their own thing.  What if you were updating a 15GB update and it failed with 1GB to go, you would be ticked right.  Well what if they broke those 15GB into 3 sections of 5GB each.  You would only need to redownload the last 5GB  update file and that is more logical than having to redownload the hole 15GB all over again. 
  • Hawxxeye
    5347 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Is there such a thing as a limited plan on regular (not mobile phone) internet?
  • sabootheshaman
    1042 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I can’t see an easy or reasonable solution for you sorry OP. It’s cost more to DOCE to break it up. Most of the world I don’t think has this issue and if they do some would say to find another game.

I’m sure it sucks though.
  • GrizzGolf
    963 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I wish they were a little smaller but I can understand why they aren't 
  • e-Sparta_Rambo
    456 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I understand OP pain. He is on limited plan and is forced to use up his allowance to download patches that fixes nothing. If I was on limited plan I d be furious.
  • OskooI_007
    709 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Are you downloading these updates through your cell phone?
  • DrunkOnRedWine
    1449 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 8
    The 'hotfix' was a ridiculous size and had to check 30GB of game-files too. Hardly quick and hot...

Fixed nothing either and broke more stuff.

Coldbreak?
  • Wickid_Splat
    I am on hughsnet satellite, they give me 50GB normal and 50GB from 2am to 8am.   BF is not the only game i have to update there are also steam games which are huge as well.  Plus my normal usage.    I only have this service because in order to move me they made me sign another two year contract and i could not afford to be without net for even a day so i had no choice.  Plus cable and DSL around here is more expensive.  

They said they are releasing 5G this year soon and then ill be able to play BF on sat.   i hope... 
  • OskooI_007
    709 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I see. I imagine satellite internet has high ping times. You could probably tether your phone to your computer and get better ping times than satellite.
  • StarscreamUK
    7271 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    It is not required that they follow the ways of everyone else, they can do their own thing.  What if you were updating a 15GB update and it failed with 1GB to go, you would be ticked right.  Well what if they broke those 15GB into 3 sections of 5GB each.  You would only need to redownload the last 5GB  update file and that is more logical than having to redownload the hole 15GB all over again. 

You don't. Origin resumes from where it was.
  • GRAW2ROBZ
    1470 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    When I know a update is gonna drop.  I just turn my XBOX1 on early that morning.  Usually done before i'm ready to play anyway.
  • Demostrakon
    30 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You all may want to look at your contracts more closely.  In the U.S. about half the providers (most notably Comcast, AT&T, Time Warner) can impose a limit at around 200 to 250GB.  Most choose not to... for now.  As the providers gobble each other up, this is more likely going to become an issue.
  • nikon56
    31 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 8
    the worst isn't as much the size of the actual update than the way origin handles it.
    40-45 minutes "preparing" with 0 SSD / CPU / RAM activity (so wth?), then a crappy DL speed.....500 kB/s almost all the way. i have 100Mb/s connection, wich does reach 90/95Mb/s in test and Steam.....
    result for me is that i updated the game today, for +- 3 GB, took an hour and half..... given my connection, it should have taken 10 minutes.....TOP

• Wickid_Splat
    Took me 13 hours, and had to do it over two nighttime allowances, way too long for any game update.
  • sabootheshaman
    1042 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Took me 13 hours, and had to do it over two nighttime allowances, way too long for any game update.

I see how this is annoying but I honestly don’t think you can hold DICE accountable. It’s a game designed to run in UHD. As already stated you can pause and resume on origin which achieves the same as what you’re asking in your original post.

The updates for RDR2 I think are bigger than some of these.
  • nikon56
    31 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I see how this is annoying but I honestly don’t think you can hold DICE accountable. It’s a game designed to run in UHD. As already stated you can pause and resume on origin which achieves the same as what you’re asking in your original post.

The updates for RDR2 I think are bigger than some of these.
    well you can hold the responsible for the crazy long time "preaparing" (around 40 minutes each BFV update with CPU / SSD / RAM in idle) and crazy low speed of their servers.
    when i check my connection and it reaches 90-95mb/s, in tests, direct DL, torrents, Steam, and at best reaches around 4mb/s while downloading a game via origin, yes they are to blame.
  • sabootheshaman
    @nikon56 what has that got to do with my post.

It has zero relevance. We are talking weight of file and cost.

What because your first attempt at thread jacking failed you go back for more?

Get over it.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2798 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    If you cannot get an unlimited broadband in 2019, you have to reconsider your life choices.