My thoughts on why battlefield V failed, and why players are mad

Minigun991
132 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
edited July 8
First off I’d like to make a statement. People who bought the game full price, or bought the deluxe addition have more then a right to complain about the game. Especially deluxe addition owners, cause they pretty much got lied to. That’s all.

But anyways, everyone knows where battlefield V screwed it self. With that terrible reveal trailer of the robot girl sniper and complete random mayhem.

But battlefield V was still able to be saved if dice handled this right. Maybe by saying “we just wanna do are own thing”. But that didn’t happen.

Instead they insulted their players. Calling them uneducated, and one developer used “make everyone white” as an insult towards a man who wanted a choice to turn off customization on Twitter. None of these things are good for a business looking to make money. All it did was hurt the game.

But DICE still had the chance to release a great game, that would blow all the naysayers away. Is that what happened?

No, instead the game was annoyingly buggy, and was missing a lot of features that were clearly cut. Some still not in the game, like Vehicle body customization. It had some great improvements, but that doesn’t matter when your game is broke and the content is low and the maps are not really good.

But even with all the terrible things that happened, DICE could still salvage the game. But it was clear that was not going to happen soon. Instead months passed with very little content.

Patch after patch keeps coming out, adding more bugs, and because of the lack of content people keep on leaving. Which caused DICE to remove Duo mode in firestorm, and frontlines from the low player counts. All that’s been a priority is the cosmetics.

So because of their terrible handling of the game before launch, it caused people to not buy the game. Which didn’t hurt them. It just hurt the people who did buy the game. Which EA stated that it’s sales were bad. So they probably cut funding.

I’m going to say that this franchise can not take another battlefield V incident. If battlefield is no longer looked at as profitable by EA, they will close it down.

I’m also going to state that the people who supported DICE for what happened, and defend this game are hurting the franchise more. What happened was not at all good, and this game is not the best dice has to offer.

Comments

• vonHenk
    3 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yup, hardcore lite isn’t for me either. Stopped playing in February.
  • Hawxxeye
    5347 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Trokey66 said:
    I pre ordered the deluxe and whilst the bugs are annoying, the main reason I don't play much any more is because the hardcore lite approach isn't fun.
    Especially if you are a plane trying to tell which of the grey-brown pixels is a target among the terrain grey-brown pixels or if you are a tank and you have to spend half your time going to and from the supply station.
  • Hawxxeye
    5347 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Trokey66 said:
    Just goes to show that the term 'casual' is a Gentleman's dangly bits term as it means whatever the user wants it to mean and has no real definition in relation to video games.

People should really stop using it.
    Yes, humans are a lot more complex than two polar opposites.
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    1432 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Yep, as they're saying, this hardcore approach killed the game way before these bugs or updates. That's just never where BF was. The HC community is very voiceful, but very small, and always has been, which is why HC dies quick on past BF games, or maybe a server or two.

I tried to say this from the onset of this game, and couldn't make it more clear. These issues create the prone campers, sniper spam, and with very slow respawn (say as compared to COD) is a cancer that could totally ruin a game, and has, dealing with plummeting counts way before the latest snafu.

And i would agree with the OP, it is quite possible the devs could call it quits after Oct, and maybe, like MOH, end the franchise if not for the fact EA may look at DICE and see it as a boondoggle for the shareholders. 
  • TFBisquit
    1519 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Zingh I'm dead, zingh dead again, patapat, and again dead. Kabooom, ah dead.
    Yeah casual, as a battlefield game should be, but is it? I never minded fast shooters, insta kills with shotty in sof. Running fast, fast paced etc.
    But this game has bad visibility, most deads are unsuspected, even for the pro players.
    So I agree, hardcore light.
    Cannon fodder experience for many, ultimate experience for some.
    Ah well...
  • ackers75
    2322 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Op I don’t need to write an essay to tell you why I am mad.
    “I payed money for a AAA game”

I didn’t get it!
  • Skitelz7
    925 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    vonHenk wrote: »
    Yup, hardcore lite isn’t for me either. Stopped playing in February.

Hardcore lite? Wtf does that even mean? Is that some Call of Duty term I don't know about? 😂
  • Skitelz7
    925 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Minigun991 wrote: »
    UniQue1992 wrote: »
    Trokey66 said:
    I pre ordered the deluxe and whilst the bugs are annoying, the main reason I don't play much any more is because the hardcore lite approach isn't fun.

What hardcore liet approach lol? 

Because the game is now less casual you don't like it? I grew up with Battlefield and have always played the games. Back in the days it was much harder to play properly than now. The only thing now is that you need to think before you move, because you are not a bullet sponge anymore. You can't just run across a open field, no you need to use your brains before you move. How is this a bad thing? 

I get sad when I see people like you complaining about this. 

You honestly think battlefield V is not casual? It’s the first game I’ve seen where players run straight at a Tiger tank.

This game is extremely casual in some areas. Especially assaults.

It's a lot less casual than previous titles.
    Fast TTK and no active spotting being the main reasons.
  • Skitelz7
    UniQue1992 wrote: »
    Trokey66 said:

What hardcore liet approach lol? 

Because the game is now less casual you don't like it? I grew up with Battlefield and have always played the games. Back in the days it was much harder to play properly than now. The only thing now is that you need to think before you move, because you are not a bullet sponge anymore. You can't just run across a open field, no you need to use your brains before you move. How is this a bad thing? 

I get sad when I see people like you complaining about this. 

Exactly. I guess the fast TTK and lack of doritos made the noobs upset.
  • TFBisquit
    1519 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Only noobs?
  • Sk1lld
    548 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The game hasn't failed... Yet.

It has it's issues yes but also has some shiny spots despite my complaints. The Frostbite engine is difficult to work with so improvements will be slow to come but like all the Battlefield games have always had a rocky start.

I admit fix's are coming slower than I like, but If EA keeps messing up my patients will not hold forever. And it feels like a long time coming.

I'm not going to waste time complaining any more, the next move is DICE's. But I doubt I will purchase any FPS built with the Frostbit engine again.

• robmcewen
    3007 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    @Sk1lld BF1 had a good launch, if I remember correctly.