Frostbite 3 engine needs to be scrapped

supawogman
postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
edited July 16
Frostbite 3 was introduced to the public in 2013 with Battlefield 4, It's now 2019/20, 6 years later and the the engine is still buggy with the same problems as it had in BF4, I believe if developers haven't refined the engine by now its time to scrap it and start over. Graphics mean nothing if the engine is fundamentally broken to its core, DICE needs to take a few years off making games, scrap Frostbite 3 completely and build a new engine with user friendly/developer friendly being a core aspect of the engine for new developers and all game genres not a engine built sorely for Battlefield/first person shooters and veteran game developers that understand the hard to understand Frostbite 3 code.
Post edited by supawogman on

Comments

• duttyranksnz
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Funny how they make it work fine on fifa , e.a don’t care otherwise it would be sorted , all the top frostbite devs work on fifa now 
  • duttyranksnz
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I agree tho frostbite looks great but it ruined Anthem , they asked E.A for help but where told no as they didn’t want to take anyone away from the Fifa frostbite team ,it’s about money but yes it’s abitch of an engine to adapt or add features to
  • e-Sparta_Rambo
    432 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    duttyranksnz said:
    Funny how they make it work fine on fifa , e.a don’t care otherwise it would be sorted , all the top frostbite devs work on fifa now 

FIFA is a copy and paste game, it would be hard to mess that up.

But so is Battlefield if you apply same logic, remodel/reskin soldiers, weapons and maps there you go, new game....
  • sabootheshaman
    1015 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Everything on this thread is speculation.

Armchair experts on a far more complex thing. Have a look at WW3, tell me it gets anywhere near BFV. I’ve sunk a lot of hours into WW3 and I can say it’s a long way from achieving anything close to a core BF experience.
  • sabootheshaman
    1015 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Don't blame the engine, blame the people who are programming it. BF1 looks great and for the most part ran great throughout it's entire life cycle. This shows us if you know how to program the Frostbite engine it runs fine. DICE have lost all the talent that knew how to program the Frostbite engine. This is why we have the mess that is BFV. Also what other engine could handle the large scale battles that BF brings us?

Amen.

Ps. Mogwai are the ducks nuts. 🤙
  • RABID_4TUNA
    74 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Don't blame the engine, blame the people who are programming it. BF1 looks great and for the most part ran great throughout it's entire life cycle. This shows us if you know how to program the Frostbite engine it runs fine. DICE have lost all the talent that knew how to program the Frostbite engine. This is why we have the mess that is BFV. Also what other engine could handle the large scale battles that BF brings us?
    Even with the best engines (Unreal), people can manage to cook up abominations.

Before you ask, lemme show you some bad games made with Unreal

• BaronVonGoon
    6632 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 16

It's not speculation. BioWare said that Frostbite is a bad engine and using it is like hand kneeding dough filled with razor blades, or something to that effect.

Also, Jackfrags posted a video earlier this year (I don't have time to find it) where he quoted Dice devs themselves describing Frostbite 3 as a 'liability'.

If that's not enough, just start up BFV and scan around for a few minutes, do you see what I see? Bugs as far as the eyes can see.
  • spartanx169x
    694 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I know it won’t happen, but I would like to see Respawn do a post apocalyptic Battlefield using the Source engine.
  • RABID_4TUNA
    74 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I know it won’t happen, but I would like to see Respawn do a post apocalyptic Battlefield using the Source engine.
    Well, Respawn is making a singleplayer Star Wars game.

With Unreal Engine 4.
  • sabootheshaman

It's not speculation. BioWare said that Frostbite is a bad engine and using it is like hand kneeding dough filled with razor blades, or something to that effect.

Also, Jackfrags posted a video earlier this year (I don't have time to find it) where he quoted Dice devs themselves describing Frostbite 3 as a 'liability'.

If that's not enough, just start up BFV and scan around for a few minutes, do you see what I see? Bugs as far as the eyes can see.

I’ve seen that frags video. I do not recall that quote. I recall it being said BFV had fundamental problems in its development. *happy to be proven wrong.

BioWares experience is not relevant. They also highlighted that it was their own skill set that was the problem. They are not DICE and they were putting a square peg in a round hole. I think conflating different studios problems is not a good idea.

The comments on this thread are specific to DICE and BF. DICE built frostbite abd yes I think BFV is a mess but I do think these threads and comments are ill informed.

I also can’t see a time in the near future where a similar engine can achieve what frostbite dies for the core BF mechanics.

Switching engines fir a studio is also not easy. Having built teams around different technologies multiple times in the past I can say it would be a huge upheaval.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6722 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited July 16
    what other engine could handle the large scale battles that BF brings us?
    Unreal Engine 4.22.3 could do it ... easily.
  • sabootheshaman
    MogwaiWarrior said:
    what other engine could handle the large scale battles that BF brings us?

Unreal Engine 4.22.3 could do it ... easily.

What are you basing that on? Have you seen how well UE handles destruction and deformation?
  • CSO7777
    1071 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It's apparent something is not good with Frostbite. Just the assignment problem in BFV (stutters) shows that somethings are not as they are supposed to be.

And Jackfrags had a video (at the launch of Firestorm I think), where he and other "game-changers" where at Dice Stockholm and he said that a lot of the issues in BFV has to do with Frostbite. A lot of things we would think are easy to fix are actually pretty complicated in real life.

I seems like they really need a version 4.0 at this point in time, but making fundamental changes to a 'beast' like Frostbite is not easy. Especially now, when EA has a lot of big titles running on Frostbite.

Still, Frostbite can produce amazing looking games, BF1 and SWBF2 had groundbreaking graphics when they came out (for multiplayer-games at least) and the performance was pretty good (if you had the HW required). It really seems like BFV, took things too far and the engine just can't handle it anymore.
  • ProAssassin2003
    3213 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    All one has to do is look at the development stories of Mass Effect Andromeda and Anthem to know Frostbite Engine is awful.
  • sabootheshaman
    All one has to do is look at the development stories of Mass Effect Andromeda and Anthem to know Frostbite Engine is awful.

Yes because conflating issues across studios building games in different genres is the way to solve the problem.
  • ProAssassin2003
    3213 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Yes because conflating issues across studios building games in different genres is the way to solve the problem.

Well I'm talking about how each developer using Frostbite say getting anything to work for the engine is a Nightmare and takes Months.