100% CPU usage with 20-30% GPU usage

TTV_1L1danSLNM
2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
I've noticed, that the game takes all CPU time even if it's the lowest settings available(low latency preset, for example).
At the same time, GPU is just there and doing nothing(20-30% loaded for low settings)
It's okay when nothing is launched except BF and Chrome, for example, but when i try to use Streamlabs OBS, for example, it takes about 5% of CPU utilization and there are massive fps drops in game.
Specs: i7-8700k 4.5Ghz
MSI RTX 2070 OC Z
2x8Gb DDR4 2133 Mhz
Two displays, 144Hz(for games) and 60Hz.
I've tried to reinstall NVIDIA drivers, flashing BIOS, changing settings in NVIDIA control pannel.
Any suggestions how to fix it?

Comments

• Mhill2029
    107 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 21
    The lower the details/resolution the more CPU dependency the game becomes, as the GPU's have very little to do. This is known as CPU Bound, you want to become GPU bound. Increase resolution and/or details to at least High and you'll notice a difference in GPU usage. CPU will still get quite a lot of usage with a game like BFV as it seems to eat up cores. But you really don't want to be on LOW settings, as your GPU won't really do much at all. Unless of course you like these settings, then CPU clockspeed is what matters when it comes to FPS.

As for OBS, it will be a serious burden to any CPU when streaming. Best advice for this is something like an Elgato HD60 PRO or other form of Video capture device, as it will do all the encoding itself, releasing the burden on your CPU. This is what most streamers use, or they have a dedicated PC for the task.
  • Aditrex
    116 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    try overclocking your ram u have worst ram posible for your 8700k
  • Pelliy
    2204 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah, 3200mhz ram would have been ideal since it's a sweet spot for price/performance

• TTV_1L1danSLNM
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Mhill2029 said:
    As for OBS, it will be a serious burden to any CPU when streaming. Best advice for this is something like an Elgato HD60 PRO or other form of Video capture device, as it will do all the encoding itself, releasing the burden on your CPU. This is what most streamers use, or they have a dedicated PC for the task.
    I am using NVENC for encoding, so I don't think that CPU should take muck load from OBS.
  • TTV_1L1danSLNM
    Pelliy said:
    Yeah, 3200mhz ram would have been ideal since it's a sweet spot for price/performance

I forgot to enable XMP profile in BIOS after flashing it. Now it's 3000.