Getting better ping

«1
ddarn37
115 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
I play on PS4, and my latency is consistent about 56 ping connected by Ethernet to the router.l was wondering if l can get my latency down in the 20's or so if l changed some router settings.l noticed the leaders on the leaderboard usually have a nice speedy connection...thanks

Comments

  • dcs500
    1387 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    More bandwidth, or live closer to the servers. I had adsl with a ping of 55/60, finally got a fibre connection, now have a consistent ping of 18, usually one of the lowest in any game. BF plays worse now than when I had a 3mb adsl line.
  • ddarn37
    115 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    What about router settings? Open ports,dmz or does this matter since l use Ethernet cable
  • IDazzlerazzle
    399 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ddarn37 said:
    What about router settings? Open ports,dmz or does this matter since l use Ethernet cable
    No
  • dcs500
    1387 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ddarn37 said:
    What about router settings? Open ports,dmz or does this matter since l use Ethernet cable

    I wouldn’t use a dmz, you can use port forwarding, this may smooth a connection, but won’t affect ping.
  • RangerDanger1911
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I run a consistent 30ms and it seems worse since I switched to fiber.
  • ElliotLH
    7767 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    What region are you in and trying to connect to? I get a ping of 30 to the DE servers and can't get that any lower than that since they removed the UK servers (where I live and used to enjoy a lovely low ping). 
  • WetFishDB
    1974 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ddarn37 said:
    What about router settings? Open ports,dmz or does this matter since l use Ethernet cable
    It might do, depending on your equipment.  Using Ethernet is best.  I’d also put the PS4 into the DMZ if your router allows it.  Just one little thing to improve performance.  Is it going to make a huge difference - absolutely not.  But my view is marginal gains.  Do every little thing to help, and together they make the experience better - even if each one is negligible.
  • pinkfloyd1173
    107 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    dcs500 said:
    More bandwidth, or live closer to the servers. I had adsl with a ping of 55/60, finally got a fibre connection, now have a consistent ping of 18, usually one of the lowest in any game. BF plays worse now than when I had a 3mb adsl line.
    Whos is your ISP if I may ask, are you in the states?
  • dcs500
    1387 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 26
    dcs500 said:
    More bandwidth, or live closer to the servers. I had adsl with a ping of 55/60, finally got a fibre connection, now have a consistent ping of 18, usually one of the lowest in any game. BF plays worse now than when I had a 3mb adsl line.
    Whos is your ISP if I may ask, are you in the states?


    No, UK.
  • ddarn37
    115 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    WetFishDB wrote: »
    ddarn37 said:
    What about router settings? Open ports,dmz or does this matter since l use Ethernet cable

    It might do, depending on your equipment.  Using Ethernet is best.  I’d also put the PS4 into the DMZ if your router allows it.  Just one little thing to improve performance.  Is it going to make a huge difference - absolutely not.  But my view is marginal gains.  Do every little thing to help, and together they make the experience better - even if each one is negligible.

    Isn't using DMZ unsafe?
  • ddarn37
    115 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH wrote: »
    What region are you in and trying to connect to? I get a ping of 30 to the DE servers and can't get that any lower than that since they removed the UK servers (where I live and used to enjoy a lovely low ping). 

    I live in Louisiana..connect to US servers
  • dcs500
    1387 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 27
    A ping of 50/60 really isn't that bad, if you check the scoreboard throughout the match you'll see a lot worse, and the lower your ping the more likely you'll be the victim of lag compensation from high pingers.
    .

    Is using DMZ unsafe?
    .

    It's not advisable, far better to port forward if you're comfortable with messing around with router settings, there's a ton of info on the net to walk you through it.



  • ElliotLH
    7767 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ddarn37 wrote: »
    ElliotLH wrote: »
    What region are you in and trying to connect to? I get a ping of 30 to the DE servers and can't get that any lower than that since they removed the UK servers (where I live and used to enjoy a lovely low ping). 

    I live in Louisiana..connect to US servers

    My geography is not great but I wonder if you've been affected by the closure of the Ohio centre (same time they closed the UK one), so you're connecting further afield?
  • KMAsterisk
    201 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Ohio shouldn't have affected that much, I saw high single digits when they were there and now I'm in the 12-14 range (Virginia based I believe), so his/her ping shouldn't have changed much.

    In terms of getting your ping from the 50's to the 20's without changing location, I don't see that happening (unless your current ISP is holding you back, or you have a potato for a router).

    In terms of DMZ your PS4, I don't see a huge issue with that as compared to putting a PC out there.
  • HUMANFRAIL7Y
    709 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 28
    Where are the two locations of the US-based servers, does anyone know?
    Post edited by HUMANFRAIL7Y on
  • IDazzlerazzle
    399 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Where are the two locations of the US-based servers, does anyone know?
    West coast I think it's California or Oregon somewhere close to border and East Virginia 
  • ddarn37
    115 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I check the servers listed and if has all green bars that's what l connect to
  • WetFishDB
    1974 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ddarn37 said:
    WetFishDB wrote: »
    ddarn37 said:
    What about router settings? Open ports,dmz or does this matter since l use Ethernet cable

    It might do, depending on your equipment.  Using Ethernet is best.  I’d also put the PS4 into the DMZ if your router allows it.  Just one little thing to improve performance.  Is it going to make a huge difference - absolutely not.  But my view is marginal gains.  Do every little thing to help, and together they make the experience better - even if each one is negligible.

    Isn't using DMZ unsafe?
    Technically it is an added risk, in that the firewall in your router isn't offering your console any protection. But it doesn't put the whole network in the DMZ, just the console. And given how closed the platform is, I'd suggest the risk was low and the benefit of having less interrupted traffic might be worth it.
  • WetFishDB
    1974 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    dcs500 said:
    A ping of 50/60 really isn't that bad, if you check the scoreboard throughout the match you'll see a lot worse, and the lower your ping the more likely you'll be the victim of lag compensation from high pingers.
    .

    Is using DMZ unsafe?
    .

    It's not advisable, far better to port forward if you're comfortable with messing around with router settings, there's a ton of info on the net to walk you through it.



    Actually that's not quite right. The better your ping, generally, the less you'll be a 'victim' of lag compensation. I'm simplifying a huge amount, but if both players have a ping of 150ms and player one is about to go around a corner, their position will take 75ms to get to the server and a further 75ms to get to the second player. During that 150ms period they could have been shot, which takes 150ms to get all the way back to player one again. If one player has a ping of 30ms, then the window they can be shot is reduced to 90ms in that same scenario, and in turn the delay before they are updated with the damage is also reduced.
  • ddarn37
    115 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    WetFishDB wrote: »
    ddarn37 said:
    What about router settings? Open ports,dmz or does this matter since l use Ethernet cable

    It might do, depending on your equipment.  Using Ethernet is best.  I’d also put the PS4 into the DMZ if your router allows it.  Just one little thing to improve performance.  Is it going to make a huge difference - absolutely not.  But my view is marginal gains.  Do every little thing to help, and together they make the experience better - even if each one is negligible.

    Would it be safer and would you get marginal gains with port fwd vs DMZ?
Sign In or Register to comment.