Getting better ping

2»

Comments

• IDazzlerazzle
    399 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ddarn37 said:
    WetFishDB wrote: »
    ddarn37 said:
    What about router settings? Open ports,dmz or does this matter since l use Ethernet cable

It might do, depending on your equipment.  Using Ethernet is best.  I’d also put the PS4 into the DMZ if your router allows it.  Just one little thing to improve performance.  Is it going to make a huge difference - absolutely not.  But my view is marginal gains.  Do every little thing to help, and together they make the experience better - even if each one is negligible.

Would it be safer and would you get marginal gains with port fwd vs DMZ?
    IT WON'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE both do the same thing one is manual one is automatic 
  • Robonzo1981
    69 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I actually think Battlefield is a really poorly optimised game for fast connections. I have fibre (FTTC) with Virgin in the UK and running Speedtest via wifi on my phone produces 212mbps down and 30mbps up with an average ping of 12ms.

On my PS4 which is connected via a Netgear powerline adapter rated upto 1000mbps and using cat6 cable throughout I get an ethernet speed of 85 down, 22up and 24ms ping. Yet whenever i load in to BF5 my ping drops to around 40-50 and there's noticeable drop outs from the network.

It only seems to happen on EA games. 
  • IDazzlerazzle
    399 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I actually think Battlefield is a really poorly optimised game for fast connections. I have fibre (FTTC) with Virgin in the UK and running Speedtest via wifi on my phone produces 212mbps down and 30mbps up with an average ping of 12ms.

On my PS4 which is connected via a Netgear powerline adapter rated upto 1000mbps and using cat6 cable throughout I get an ethernet speed of 85 down, 22up and 24ms ping. Yet whenever i load in to BF5 my ping drops to around 40-50 and there's noticeable drop outs from the network.

What does making a speed test have to do with connecting to actual game server ? You do realize when you do a speed test you're getting automatically connected to a closest server right ? Which is 110% really close to you hence the 12ms

Besides that whats wrong with 40-50ms ping ??????????? 
  • Tiklikov
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 31

Playstation will / does throttle your connection. Hence your speed dropping from 212 to 85 etc. Your ping will be pinging to a German server and not a uk server - so that's gonna be higher as a result. I'm sure you have either port forwarding on or putting your ps4 ip into the dmz. If not, try that - I advise port forwarding to start with. Good luck and happy gaming.

*By the way - just as an aside, I noticed improved gameplay, as in the mutliplayer experience just seemed smoother,  when I reduced my recording time from 15 mins default to 3 mins. * I know this is not ping related but didn't want to start a thread just for that observation :-)
  • ddarn37
    115 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Tiklikov wrote: »
    Robonzo1981 said:

Playstation will / does throttle your connection. Hence your speed dropping from 212 to 85 etc. Your ping will be pinging to a German server and not a uk server - so that's gonna be higher as a result. I'm sure you have either port forwarding on or putting your ps4 ip into the dmz. If not, try that - I advise port forwarding to start with. Good luck and happy gaming.

*By the way - just as an aside, I noticed improved gameplay, as in the mutliplayer experience just seemed smoother,  when I reduced my recording time from 15 mins default to 3 mins. * I know this is not ping related but didn't want to start a thread just for that observation :-)

Guess ill have to drop recording time from 60 to 3...DMZ did nothing for latency
  • kenpokillz
    105 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    4 bar 70-100 ping servers are your best change to be god mode.  the Lag compensation in this game is a joke.  better ping gets you virtually nothing
  • ddarn37
    115 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    kenpokillz wrote: »
    4 bar 70-100 ping servers are your best change to be god mode.  the Lag compensation in this game is a joke.  better ping gets you virtually nothing

Thanks for the info
  • NilSatisOptimum
    49 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 11
    ddarn37 said:
    I play on PS4, and my latency is consistent about 56 ping connected by Ethernet to the router.l was wondering if l can get my latency down in the 20's or so if l changed some router settings.l noticed the leaders on the leaderboard usually have a nice speedy connection...thanks

• NilSatisOptimum
    49 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    @ddarn37 

Apart from what you have mentioned. 

Being the sole user of the your Internet connection while gaming, being the first consideration...

Look into underlying fault, check  your ISP promise of minimum speed, if falls below this promise, time to run their diagnostic, I've had 20 or so ms shaved off because of unknown fault, as ISPs will apply Down Load Management (DLM) which will reduce your service to find consistent connection.

Over the years I have found some ISPs provide better ping than others, no other explanation apart from how they manage your connection and this very much depends on your local area, so you have to do your own home work. Recently I have gone from 46ms to 25ms, by simply moving ISP!