Small plane control suggestions.

YourLocalPlumber
2804 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
edited July 27
Dice, since you have hard time figuring out how to make plane combat work, I thought I would give a few useful tips that can help to improve current disaster that is BF5 air combat.

1: Improve turning consistency. Currently it feels like there is something holding your plane from turning. Like a rubber band. Its especially annoying on BF109 G-2 variant with "Automatic Leading Edge" specialization. Whenever you try using elevators, your planes instantly responds by pitching up, but  gets pulled backs almost immediately. If you never flew planes but experienced rubber banding in any BF game, it feels exactly the same.  That needs to be changed to improve flying experience and make dogfights more entertaining.

2: Allow us to use elevators when in 1st person free-look. For whatever reason, I can use the rudder, but not the elevator, yet both of them are binded to my keyboard. It would be extremely useful because good pilots often spend good amount of time in 1st person when picking out ground targets, but having no elevator control while in free-look is annoying.
                             And while we're on the subject of free-look, would it be possible to lock your 1st person view in a certain direction to re-gain full control of the aircraft. Lets say I turn my view to the left to look for ground targets, press a button to lock it in that position and re-gain full control of my aircraft. Then, when I got my target, I press a button again to restore back to my default position for attack.
                              Also, I know about decoupled plane look. Its more of a VR gimmick than anything else. Might work for people flying with flight stick too, but not for general users.

3: Bring back BF1 bombing sights, and add them to all planes that have bombs equipped. People have brought this topic multiple times only to be ignored. Bombing sights in BF5 are broken and often don't show you the current position of where you bombs are gonna land, making high altitude bombing impossible.
3rd person sights are awkward to use and they often overlap with your own plane. They're only good for dive bombing. 

There is a ton of small adjustments that need to be dome to individual planes, but since we're doing baby steps with patches, those things should be done first.

Comments

• ASaltyAlpaca
    48 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I agree with the turning rate for the planes in this game, it feels like I'm dragging my mouse through sand which is terrible. But I think its also difficult as well because make one change to a plane then the other is over-powered. I'm just hoping in the near future DICE figures out how to make dogfights more fun instead of who can out-turn the other. 

Your final suggestion I do agree however, I would say to just keep the Stuka as is but change the remaining planes. 
  • oX_-oBIGBOSS-FoX
    233 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    You can fully control your plane while freelooking in 1st person. There is a setting called something like "decouple pilot free-look". 
  • xXHamatoYoshiXx
    198 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 27
    Yeah I have to agree it does feel like when you try to turn that something is preventing you from turning, and when you slow down you should be able to make more sharp turns, in addition to slowing down should be a lot quicker. I really notice stuttering issues when flying as well, and its so annoying that it makes flying almost unbearable. I really hate how the butterfly bombs do little to nothing when they are supposed to be infantry based bombs but yet they just tickle at best. It's also pretty insane how the G2 and G6 are able to just take out bombers almost instantly. The flight ceiling is also too low and bombers should be able to fly at a much higher altitude but still should be within range of AA turrets, but they shouldn't be able to get taken out in just one pass. For fighters, being able to fly low should be how players should play to evade AA turrets as they should get shredded like paper. These things to start would make flying so much better, but overall, the gameplay is just way too freakin slow and the skill ceiling for everything should be increased drastically. I know there's a lot more to be said, but I'll leave it at that for now.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2804 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    You can fully control your plane while freelooking in 1st person. There is a setting called something like "decouple pilot free-look". 
    This settings is for people flying with VR headset or a flight stick. Using keyboard to fully control your plane requires Ludwig van Beethoven level of finger coordination.
  • LINKERBLOX
    69 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Disagree with some of 3, fighter planes didnt have sights irl, the stuka and mosquito kinda of need sights
  • THERAMPAGE_ci0h
    141 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    3D spot could also make air to ground combat better , especially on console where visibility at distance is in the 9th dimension ... 
  • DingoKillr
    3509 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Maybe the bomb sights are set so that it discourages you from doing that and actual make you take a risk.