Since when did DisplayPort became a thing?

Hawxxeye
5347 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
Perhaps I had been living under a rock but I had not realized that a new type of port existed.
Not only it existed, but it turned out to be a big deal, for some reason in order to use the Freesync feature of  PC screens with an n-vidia card one has to use this port to connect to the screen and the screen needs to have a DisplayPort as well... so if the freesync screen has no DisplayPort then the freesync cannot be used unless one has an AMD GPU...
So unless I either change my screen or the video card, I will have to either use the outdated V-sync or no anti-tearing measures at all...

Comments

• LOLGotYerTags
    12837 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    New?

DisplayPort has been around for quite some time now ( My GTX 780 had a display port too ) 

You could always buy 2 displayport converters and run a conversion.
    ( one out from the GPU -> HDMI -> the other one plugged into the displayport on the monitor and the HDMI connected to it ) 
  • Hawxxeye
    5347 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    New?

DisplayPort has been around for quite some time now ( My GTX 780 had a display port too ) 

You could always buy 2 displayport converters and run a conversion.
    ( one out from the GPU -> HDMI -> the other one plugged into the displayport on the monitor and the HDMI connected to it ) 
    The problem is that my new screen only has HDMI and that ancient VGA :(
    It makes me feel that on my new computer I will have to either get another new screen that can g-sync or only AMD cards if I wish to take advantage of the adaptive syncs:(
  • LOLGotYerTags
    12837 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Do you not have DVI-I? 

If not,  You could still convert the signal,  Display port adapter to VGA and then you should be able to take advantage of the syncing.

I don't think the input/output matters as the G-sync is hardware built into the monitor that controls the refresh rate.
  • BaronVonGoon
    6731 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 1
    I have to use DP to get the 144hz out of my monitor otherwise on HDMI it only goes 60hz for some reason.