Microsoft has fixed DX 12

Jinko_itx
685 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
there is a new update that will take some time to install but I do not get any freezes or jitters anymore after this update, just letting everyone know that I used to have this problem that every beginning of a match, it would freeze up for a moment a few times and it would jitter throughout the game but ever since I have download this update in Windows, these problems don't exist anymore.

Comments

• Lahoo_Eckbert
    1233 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Jinko_itx said:
    there is a new update that will take some time to install but I do not get any freezes or jitters anymore after this update, just letting everyone know that I used to have this problem that every beginning of a match, it would freeze up for a moment a few times and it would jitter throughout the game but ever since I have download this update in Windows, these problems don't exist anymore.
    Which one would that be ?
    And how recent is that update ? 
    Or is it one of the insider updates ?
  • Carbonic
    1213 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
  • Jinko_itx
    685 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Carbonic said:
    yes thats the one, now ive beem playing all morning and its still not 100% perfect but it doesn't interfere with gameplay (freezing up while in combat) and so it is sooo much better than before
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    1233 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Oh ok I have that one, it is from last week. I thought this was something new.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2714 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Are you talking about Win 10 1903 build?
  • Carbonic
    1213 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    1903 does not refer to build, it refers to version.
    We are talking about Windows 10, version 1903, OS Build 18362.267- both is mentioned in the link I provided.

• YourLocalPlumber
    2714 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 4
    Carbonic said:
    We are talking about Windows 10, version 1903, OS Build 18362.267- both is mentioned in the link I provided.

@Carbonic Yeah my bad, messes up naming. I will try updating from 1809 to 1903 18362.267 and report my results at DX12. Currently I cannot run the game on DX12 because of horrible FPS drops and frametimes.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    edited August 4
    Carbonic said:

@Carbonic Yeah my bad, messes up naming. I will try updating from 1809 to 1903 18362.267 and report my results at DX12. Currently I cannot run the game on DX12 because of horrible FPS drops and frametimes.
    @Carbonic ;  @Jinko_itx ; So I've updated my Win 10 from 1809 to 1903 build 18362.267 and it worked! Game runs on DX12 with almost no issues. The only time when game stutters is during first load into a match after launching the game. But after about 15 seconds everything stabilizes and game runs buttery smooth on DX12 with FFR OFF.

Thanks for a nice advise. 
  • PrOdyh
    28 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Directx 12 wors very nice now. I5 8600k  +1070

• 5hadyBrady
    404 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This is impossible. The anecdotal evidence from people claiming DX12 "works fine" or "runs smooth" is just that. It's anecdotal, and possibly even ignorant. There has been endless testing on this subject. As far as I know, Microsoft are the only ones developing games in DX12. That would be Forza, and maybe one or two other games. The rest of the games have "dx12 support". That's not the same thing. From the testing I've seen, running Battlefield 1 and V in DX12 , is equivalent to running this game through a port. The game was developed for DX11, and has DX12 support. Lately DICE have spent a lot of time optimizing the game for DX12 because of their partnership with Nvidia. Nvidia has features that mandate the DX12 API, like ray tracing. This means Battlefield V is running poorly in every API. It's terribly inefficient in DX11 with high CPU usage and low GPU usage, and it's terribly unstable in DX12. There's no way you can fix this really. DX11 is the best API for this specific game. They know this. They also know there's a fairly large percentage of consumers who don't know what they don't know. So you might play this game in DX12 and assume it's running smooth, but compared to what? Smooth compared to what? Those of us who know better, know how awful DX12 is, and now , how inefficient DX11 has become as of late. This is a mess.
  • Jinko_itx
    dont get me wrong, it is still not perfect but it is better than before...
  • Kompura
    239 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Carbonic said:

@Carbonic ;  @Jinko_itx ; So I've updated my Win 10 from 1809 to 1903 build 18362.267 and it worked! Game runs on DX12 with almost no issues. The only time when game stutters is during first load into a match after launching the game. But after about 15 seconds everything stabilizes and game runs buttery smooth on DX12 with FFR OFF.

I'm also having that ~15 sec stutter/lagging when playing the first match after launching the game. Just wondering what causes it?
  • YourLocalPlumber
    Kompura said:
    Carbonic said:

I'm also having that ~15 sec stutter/lagging when playing the first match after launching the game. Just wondering what causes it?
    Probably engine is finishing loading textures or some other data.  It might take more time on DX12, hence the stutters.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    This is impossible. The anecdotal evidence from people claiming DX12 "works fine" or "runs smooth" is just that. It's anecdotal, and possibly even ignorant. There has been endless testing on this subject. As far as I know, Microsoft are the only ones developing games in DX12. That would be Forza, and maybe one or two other games. The rest of the games have "dx12 support". That's not the same thing. From the testing I've seen, running Battlefield 1 and V in DX12 , is equivalent to running this game through a port. The game was developed for DX11, and has DX12 support. Lately DICE have spent a lot of time optimizing the game for DX12 because of their partnership with Nvidia. Nvidia has features that mandate the DX12 API, like ray tracing. This means Battlefield V is running poorly in every API. It's terribly inefficient in DX11 with high CPU usage and low GPU usage, and it's terribly unstable in DX12. There's no way you can fix this really. DX11 is the best API for this specific game. They know this. They also know there's a fairly large percentage of consumers who don't know what they don't know. So you might play this game in DX12 and assume it's running smooth, but compared to what? Smooth compared to what? Those of us who know better, know how awful DX12 is, and now , how inefficient DX11 has become as of late. This is a mess.
    Yeah right. I've been playing BF5 for over 500 hours on DX11+FFR. Multiple times I've tried running DX12 with FFR Off but failed because it gave me horrible stutters and frame time jumps. Now after aforementioned Win 10 update my game runs smoothly at 120FPS and consistent frame times at DX12 and FFR OFF.

Go ahead and tell me that this is just my imagination.
  • FierceBrosnan007
    1002 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 5
    Yeah right. I've been playing BF5 for over 500 hours on DX11+FFR. Multiple times I've tried running DX12 with FFR Off but failed because it gave me horrible stutters and frame time jumps. Now after aforementioned Win 10 update my game runs smoothly at 120FPS and consistent frame times at DX12 and FFR OFF.

This had better work or kittens somewhere will have to die. 

*Update*   This update has indeed got rid of the in-game stutters associated with DX 12. Still some pretty big stutters at the start and end of a map though but at least the game is now smooth on DX12. (TG!) Cpu usage nice and low and gpu usage now up to a consistent 99%. Thank you for posting this. 
    Post edited by FierceBrosnan007 on
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    Yeah I've played some 64 man breakthroughs on various maps and I can tell that DX12 performance is much better. I get little stutter(actually aside from assignment tracker stutter and occasional 1v1 shoot out stutter I have none) and no excessive frame dips with stable FPS through out. 

I haven't reverted back to older builds, so I can't make a direct comparison but 1903 current version feels alot better.
  • Na55_king_07
    2 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    game is now smooth on DX12 no lag at all and no stutters at the start and end of a map they made it grat thxxxx alot
  • BlindChance
    484 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Carbonic said:

Right...just a word of warning. I have seen a lot of reports of issues with VPN and virtualisation software such as VMware/Virtual Box after installation of Windows 10, version 1903. Microsoft QA seems to be almost as bad as DICE's.
  • 5hadyBrady
    404 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 7

I'm not saying its your imagination. I'm telling you that this game will always run better in DX11. If you want to see the testing that was done on this, I would be more than happy to send it to you. DX12 support is not the same as DX12. It's essentially a port. That comes with a caveat. There are issues associated with running games in an API they were not developed in. Even if frame rates appear higher, or even if it "runs smooth", all I'm telling you is, it will run better in DX11 until DICE start developing these games in the latest API. You cannot fix this with a Windows patch or an update. The only thing you can do is "get the game to run as good as it possibly will, while running in DX12". This game will always run better in DX11. There's no if's and's or butt's about it. It's virtually impossible. My guess is, Microsoft has done something with DX12 to help reduce the frame latency or 1%/0.1% low's that were responsible for the bulk of the stuttering. This does not mean it's running better than DX11. It just means they're fixing some of the problems associated with running the game through a port. A lot of the amateur testing done on DX11 and DX12 comparisons use averages. That works out to DX12's advantage, because if averages were all we cared about, everybody would be using DX12. It's the 1% of time that causes the instability. DX11 has never had that problem. Only lately have there been efficiency issues with low GPU usage and high CPU usage, but even still, it runs better than DX12. And that's not my opinion.
  • STOPchris
    471 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

It IS your imagination.