Win 10 1809 to 1903 or not

l_Grand_Vizir_l
187 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
edited August 7
Hi everybody.

My PC (I5 6500 - GTX1070 - 16Go ram) is on Win 10 1809 and the 1903 update is available since some time.
Reading about bad performances i stayed on 1809 but it seems that thinks has changed, or not...
Don't know what to think when i read those different point of view:
I can play the game but the experience is not good since a few months as everybody, and i have some bad fps drops i didn't had...
Do you think that updating to 1903 would improve or not my games?
Thanks for your advices and feed back on personal experience.

Comments

• chinook240
    67 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 7
  • CSO7777
    1077 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    If your system is 'normal' it will not change much by updating. Win 1903 doesn't have any improvements for gaming, but on the other hand doesn't lower performance as well.

Win 1903 changes the way Windows handles some of Intel/AMD's processor-exploits (spectre) and that can give general performance improvements for Windows, these will of course benefit BFV. But it will probably just be very little in real life (a few FPS at best).

Also upgrading Window 10 can sometimes fix errors in the installation, but most people doesn't have these errors.
  • TFBisquit
    1329 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 7
    You can try it and roll back if you don't like it.
    Btw I updated 2 weeks ago and saw constant stutter in my games. Now on my new build I stay with 1809 for now, until it's confirmed multiple times that the stutter is gone on 1903.
  • FritzCT
    304 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 7
    Updated tonight; less input lag; gained a few FPS; image quality generally better.

I'm guessing that's what CSO was saying to expect.

Also felt like a bad night for the dark lord lot..."those who shall not be named"...at least here....so hard to tell really but I think it's marginally helped me.

Fritz
  • Jinko_itx
    685 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    the lastest update in 1903 has improved DX 12's performance in this game
  • TFBisquit
    1329 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Well, tried it today and it's stutter free sofar.
    Pretty smooth overall.
  • l_Grand_Vizir_l
    187 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 8
    OK, short one. I tried it today and i'm happy.
    :)
    I've played yersterday and today and can give you my feedback.
    DX11: Not stutter free but far better, and most important a huge difference with far less FPS drops. FPS are far more stable and the difference on my 120Hz screen it's really obvious.When i'm between 100/85 fps on most scenarios ingame, i had some falls to 30/35 fps and now i'm back to my 65 minimum on worst cases in huge battles.
    The whole game feel far better as you can imagine.
    DX12: It was just not as good as DX11 before... Now the game crash 3s after launching, i don't even reach the first menu. Nothing to do except to go on Pofsafe_profile  file to force DX11 back...
    lol
    I don't care i'm happy with DX11, i should try different versions of Nvidia drivers to solve Dx12 crashes later. Now i just have fun again with the game.
    For my PC it was a good move to make this update.
    Thanks you all for your time and coments.
    Have fun and see you on the Battlefield.

• TFBisquit
    edited August 9
    On a side note, I rolled back to 1809.
    Don't ask me why, I wont explain nor tell.
  • DigitalHype
    735 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    TFBisquit said:
    On a side note, I rolled back to 1809.
    Don't ask me why, I wont explain nor tell.
    Ok. I'll bite. Did it break your gaming chair?
  • STOPchris
    471 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    1903 is fine for all three of my computers. Not bad, nor really good... Just about the same. 
  • SgtMDuck
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 12
    1903 killed my BFV so I will try to rollback

After rollback 1803 works perfectly and also BFV is runing much better than before it seems (Did a clean install of BFV before rolling back to 1803)
    I do not get it how a game can be this effected by new releases, something is clearly not right.
    Post edited by SgtMDuck on
  • 5hadyBrady
    404 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm 100% convinced this is some kind of cognitive hiccup or bias. Especially when people start talking about "gained a couple fps". What? There's like 30% to 50% difference in frame rate just from looking 20 degrees in another direction. Weather and other things also impact the frame rates even if you're trying to compare it 1:1. There's too many dynamic variables to know whether or not you're getting a couple extra fps lol. This is why you often times see people make a post that says "he's right, the update fixed it!", and then they return 3 hours later and edit the post and say "never mind". They want it to be fixed, they get excited when they believe it's fixed, and they immediately want to share the good news with everybody. I'm pretty skeptical of the handshake between Microsoft and other developers..... The standby memory issues that surfaced from the Windows fall creators update in 2017 is still present. That problem started with BF1 and has carried over into BFV. If Microsoft did find some way to resolve most of the performance issues associated with DX12, it's a slap in the face to DICE/EA, because it's like they'll only fix things that make Microsoft look bad. They don't seem to care about other products being used on their OS.
  • l_Grand_Vizir_l
    edited August 13
    Edit: Double post / Bugged Forum
    Post edited by l_Grand_Vizir_l on
  • l_Grand_Vizir_l
    I'm 100% convinced this is some kind of cognitive hiccup or bias. Especially when people start talking about "gained a couple fps". 
    What the hell are you talking about?
    I'd say, i'm 100% convinced that you didn't read half the posts here before giving us this... answer.
    "Improving" do not mean "more fps"... I reported her more stability. On my pc, there's a huge difference on the fps drops for the minmum fps on falls.
    Can you please quote where the hell i said i had more max fps here?
    And Dx12 did you see what i wrote about Dx12 and BFV on my PC?
    Sorry dude but your answer is hilarious, you're so focused on your thoughts that you didn't read what was said here.
    Oh and by the way:
    What? There's like 30% to 50% difference in frame rate just from looking 20 degrees in another direction. Weather and other things also impact the frame rates even if you're trying to compare it 1:1. There's too many dynamic variables to know whether or not you're getting a couple extra fps lol..
    On this point you just show your ignorance.
    It's easy to show and record a graph of your fps while gaming...
    If you're not totaly unsmart, you make your test playing for a while on different large maps with max player count (64) and vehicules to be in the hardest cases for your pc and boom magic, you have results you can compare... Of course 1 or 2 more fps on the "max fps" line is not significativ, but who is talking about this here excepting you?
    Being sceptic is good, being blind is not. You should try to think about it before analysing others, dear Sigmund.

• TFBisquit
    It ran the same on my end. No gains, no losses.
    I went back because of placebo effect. I thought I experienced a very minor microstutter. Since rolling back works perfectly, and it's always possible to update again, I decided to compare.
    So was there no microstutter after rolling back? Is this just game behaviour? Because it seems to be the same.
    Hmm, it does seem to feel slightly smoother. Or does it?
    All placebos, most likely.
    Still, if you get something in your mind, it's hard to let go without further investigating.
    But performance should be the same, ah, lost couple of hundred points in firestrike with 1903. Or maybe that was because of changed settings. Because that happens also after a major update.
    Anyway, it's what 5hadyBrady says.

• Secti0n13
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/191154/fps-drops-stuttering-a-working-theory

Posted this a few weeks ago, 1803 seems to be the most stable in ALL agems not just BF5
  • l_Grand_Vizir_l
    One week later i'm still on the same result.
    No more fps drops to the abyss i'm happy. I've tried 3 different Nvidia drivers but didn't had significant changes and stay on 431.60
    I'm quite amazed to see some guys coming here to talk about placebo effect for my result. A nice scientific therm for such a non scientific attitude.
    Did you asked me about a protocol, how i did get my results? Nope you assume i'm dumb and saying nonsense and pretend that i'm dreaming. And more funny talking about "things in your mind"...
    Guys are you ignorant enough to miss we can mesure values on a PC? Yourself , you do validate your tests on your rig without mesures just on your feelings? It would be hilarious considering your words here...
    I'm not saying that i have a greater knowledge than others, i came here to get some advices... I don't have explanation on "why does it works or not", i've read that it was better for some guys, not better for others...
    I just tried, made a mesure, and the result is clear. No more deep spikes on the graph as i felt while playing.
    I have a clear result and just give it as a feedback, free to you to believe in wathever you want, but if you want to undermine my comment, at least try to have an adult approch instead of the being the dude accusating without any clue or anymore argument than "I believe" or "I did the test it didnt work on my pc (different from yours but who cares) soo it cant be".

• TFBisquit
    I'm happy for you, but to whom are you responding to?
    I simply stated my own experience and used the term placebo on myself.