Weekly BF

A return of 'Vehicle Depots' would be nice

Elephante33
278 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Im sure this has been said before, but I would like to see what people think about it now that we have had time to adjust to the current system.

So I have been playing BF since 1942, and have loved it since, but upon reaching BF1 i noticed something odd, that I wasnt too happy about: Vehicules dont spawn on the map, you have to spawn WITH it.

This means its more of a click rush than anything else to get in a tank, which I find rather silly, and takes away from the wonderfull feeling of seeing all those planes and tanks parked around the map
Id dearly like a return of this system, because it also helped us group up with other tanks, rather than have them trickle into the map as they do now.

Also, since this wasnt a UI thing (the tanks and planes are on the map) it wont get glitched (as the current system does) or be purely defined by your ability to click like a mad man.

Im still not entirely clear WHY this change was made, all I see as a result of this change is less vehicules on the map, which, is kinda disapointing in a BF game, especailly a WW2 one

Comments

• SlowOldWarrior
    460 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Ditto
  • sabootheshaman
    1167 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 10
    You’re forgetting the balance of giving pilots/drivers restricted kits so you dont have guys driving tanks with Piats and dynamite.
  • Elephante33
    278 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You’re forgetting the balance of giving pilots/drivers restricted kits so you dont have guys driving tanks with Piats and dynamite.
    I see your point but you are forgetting that its almost moot, since anyone with a Piat and dynamite can just get into the vehicle after it spawns. Tho a counter to this would be a pretty big thing to add, like a Pilot or Driver class, and if they spawn in as such and cant find a tank, then they should be able to interact with a building to get a new Kit, like say in Squad. Also IDK if that even is a balance issue, i dont remember anyone complaining about it in BF4, or BC2
  • sabootheshaman
    1167 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    sabootheshaman said:

I see your point but you are forgetting that its almost moot, since anyone with a Piat and dynamite can just get into the vehicle after it spawns. Tho a counter to this would be a pretty big thing to add, like a Pilot or Driver class, and if they spawn in as such and cant find a tank, then they should be able to interact with a building to get a new Kit, like say in Squad. Also IDK if that even is a balance issue, i dont remember anyone complaining about it in BF4, or BC2

It is a balance issue and also a gameplay issue. If you have the ability to shoot armour piercing rounds and piats it will be OP.

You also don’t want snipers using vehicles as tra sports and ditching them. The reasons are quite clear when you put some thought into it.

Now, having them force a class swap on entry to the operators seat might help solve the issue.

I really don’t see how my point was moot at all.
  • StealthAria
    337 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The balance of being able to hop in a tank as Assault/Engineer is actually kinda moot, you don't have access to that stuff while driving and entering/exiting vehicles is  no longer instant.  You go hopping out of your tank to try popping off a PIAT you're just going to get killed during the animations.  There was actually a problem before though where players could cycle through drivers to instantly reload special rounds or reset the overheat.

The main benefit of the new system is you don't have enemies flying into your spawn and stealing your vehicles, destroying anything and everything they don't take.  Additionally, they added a bit of randomness to the spawn location which helps prevent vehicles from getting destroyed by mines the moment they respawn.

All said, I prefer the new system over the old one.  However, I do think it would be cool if they added a few pre-builts to some of the maps, with loadouts you can't spawn with or simply special tanks you can't normally use.
  • SunnyTheWerewolf
    329 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Having the friendly base be out of bounds for the enemy team would negate sabotage, stealing and overall griefing that would result from having independently spawning vehicles. Naturally, it would need to be setup in a way that you couldn't shoot at the enemy from that base and vice versa.

There are positives and negatives to forced class swap. Sure, it would deter people from using vehicles as taxis, but it would also make temporary use of them a nightmare. For example, if you were capping a flag and hopped into a spawning tank for extra security - you'd be forced to continue as the driver class even if you left the tank where it spawned after capping the flag.

To negate this, you could add an extra feature to, say the ammo station, which would allow you to change kits between the four infantry classes to any of the user specific presets for those classes. You could also have the same function for vehicles in that they would spawn with a default loadout, but you could change that at the nearest resupply station to user specific custom loadouts (and skins).

This would make it so, that snipers couldn't fly to mountain tops, but would allow dynamic class changes in the field, which would have benefits greater than just vehicle play.

Now, people would still use vehicles as taxis to flags, but that isn't a problem as that happens presently and those abandoned (land) vehicles would be available for others to use.

I think this change back to the way things were in regards to the vehicles in the beginning of the franchise would be great in my opinion as well.
  • bigiain
    295 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The current system where players are queuing for vehicles has created this scenario where people think they are tankers, but are frightened to attack flags with them. The tank has become a precious commodity to be preserved as long as possible, not a tool to win the round. 
  • Noodlesocks
    3065 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    bigiain said:
    The current system where players are queuing for vehicles has created this scenario where people think they are tankers, but are frightened to attack flags with them. The tank has become a precious commodity to be preserved as long as possible, not a tool to win the round. 
    One of the reasons I miss instant vehicle respawn servers. May not have been as balanced but it was certainly more fun.
  • Elephante33
    bigiain said:
    I agree, and its because of this that tankers, as you mentioned, dont ACT like tanks anymore. Their entire purpose was to break lines, offer cover for infantry and bring fire support. But as it stands they are mostly used for racking up kills now rather than performing with the main group
  • Elephante33
    sabootheshaman said:

It is a balance issue and also a gameplay issue. If you have the ability to shoot armour piercing rounds and piats it will be OP.

You also don’t want snipers using vehicles as tra sports and ditching them. The reasons are quite clear when you put some thought into it.

Now, having them force a class swap on entry to the operators seat might help solve the issue.

I really don’t see how my point was moot at all.

its moot because your argument was :
    that people with PIATS and Dynamite could use the tank, so I imgaine you mean they could hope out once its destoryed and then shoot the offending tank, I assume because you didnt mention why them having this in a vehicule was an issue

and the counter to that is simply, as previously stated, any transport or gunner seat is already fillable with such a person
    then another person also mentioned, you cant use these gadgets while inside the tank
    and 3rdly, unless you jump out of the tank way before it explodes, meaning you have just wasted a tank, you arnt going to survive the destruction of your tank, PIAT or no PIAT.

Now snipers using vehicules for Taxi's is definatly an issue I agree, but that can be fixed with having jeeps be common, no sniper will take a tank if a jeep is faster and more readily available

As for swapping, I was thinking more that they MUST have a driver class to actually use the cannon and steering wheel, but you can still jump in to an empty tank to hide for a bit
  • Stalinium9
    63 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    instant vehicle respawn sucks
  • Elephante33
    instant vehicle respawn sucks
    I violently disagree

It allows not only less time for tankers to get back in the action, but allows MORE people to get in on it
  • sabootheshaman
    @Elephante33 and every tank and plane has someone jump on them every time? I wish! You completely neglected my other comment about vehicles being used as transports for snipers etc.

The old system has many floors. The new system has less. It would be good though if their was a building you could walk into to spawn a tank if it were available instead of having to redeploy.

The issue was f the clickrush could of been addressed by a fairer queuing system. I’m amazed they’ve never done one.

I do miss all the tanks parked when I played Desert Combat on 73 Eastings.
  • Elephante33
    @Elephante33 and every tank and plane has someone jump on them every time? I wish! You completely neglected my other comment about vehicles being used as transports for snipers etc.

The old system has many floors. The new system has less. It would be good though if their was a building you could walk into to spawn a tank if it were available instead of having to redeploy.

The issue was f the clickrush could of been addressed by a fairer queuing system. I’m amazed they’ve never done one.

I literally mentioned your sniper using vehicles as taxis in my last post and how to avoid it  -.-

Also, what do you mean by a 'fairer queing system'? could you expand on that because im not sure how thats supposed to work
    Like preventing people who just died in a tank from taking a tank again for a while?
  • sabootheshaman
    @Elephante33 Soz bunj. Dunno how I missed that.

I think like what you described by maybe with more nuance. So it won’t let you go 3 in a row if someone else has indicated a desire for the tank. It’ll send them a message saying a tanks free soon. It could all be time limited and have some clever preferences so it does not get exploited.

It could also not be active if beneath a certain player count.
  • StealthAria
    337 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Having the friendly base be out of bounds for the enemy team would negate sabotage, stealing and overall griefing that would result from having independently spawning vehicles. Naturally, it would need to be setup in a way that you couldn't shoot at the enemy from that base and vice versa.

There are positives and negatives to forced class swap. Sure, it would deter people from using vehicles as taxis, but it would also make temporary use of them a nightmare. For example, if you were capping a flag and hopped into a spawning tank for extra security - you'd be forced to continue as the driver class even if you left the tank where it spawned after capping the flag.

To negate this, you could add an extra feature to, say the ammo station, which would allow you to change kits between the four infantry classes to any of the user specific presets for those classes. You could also have the same function for vehicles in that they would spawn with a default loadout, but you could change that at the nearest resupply station to user specific custom loadouts (and skins).

This would make it so, that snipers couldn't fly to mountain tops, but would allow dynamic class changes in the field, which would have benefits greater than just vehicle play.

Now, people would still use vehicles as taxis to flags, but that isn't a problem as that happens presently and those abandoned (land) vehicles would be available for others to use.

I think this change back to the way things were in regards to the vehicles in the beginning of the franchise would be great in my opinion as well.
    That's how it was before, didn't stop pilots from flying in and stealing, trapping or outright destroying vehicles inside the depot.

bigiain said:
    I agree, and its because of this that tankers, as you mentioned, dont ACT like tanks anymore. Their entire purpose was to break lines, offer cover for infantry and bring fire support. But as it stands they are mostly used for racking up kills now rather than performing with the main group
    The reason they don't act like tanks is purely because they can't tank.  All it takes to destroy any tank is two or three hits from any of Assault's numerous explosives, they don't even last very long against the poking from AT rifles. They can't whip their turret around instantly anymore either, so it's real easy to slink in beneath their gun depression and absolutely bury them in explosives, not that you need to since dynamite can easily be thrown several dozen meters and over any kind of cover.
    You go trying to break through enemy lines or roll up on an objective, you instantly get hit by AT explosives from half the enemy team and destroyed so thoroughly not even wreckage remains.  And it doesn't even help your team on the off chance you do survive because none of them even actually care about what you're doing, they just want to farm kills and don't care they don't hold a single objective anymore.
  • ragnarok013
    3354 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator

sabootheshaman I think many in the community are willing to put up with a sniper wasting a transport vehicle in order to get the superior old vehicle system back. It wasn't perfect but it felt like Battlefield and offered flexibility and was more easily balanced since DICE doesn't have to try to foresee and balance every possible permutation of vehicle combinations on a map.
  • sabootheshaman
    sabootheshaman said:

sabootheshaman I think many in the community are willing to put up with a sniper wasting a transport vehicle in order to get the superior old vehicle system back. It wasn't perfect but it felt like Battlefield and offered flexibility and was more easily balanced since DICE doesn't have to try to foresee and balance every possible permutation of vehicle combinations on a map.

I wouldn’t call it superior. Probably another way to solve the issues though. Like I said if vehicle entry forces a lot change, bobs your uncle. 🤙
  • Elephante33

This, I completely agree, with the exception of the **** who grab a whole heli, it often is offset by the sheer number of vehicules on the map. And back in those days you could vote kick a person for abuse, while now we just have to deal with it