How is rtx 2080 performance?

R1ckyDaMan19
455 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited August 11
Hi.

I currently have a gtx 1080 and an i7 8700k and can play conquest at 2k with very few fps drops but am upgrading my monitor to an acer z35p ultrawide screen and am considering buying a new gpu.

So the question, how is performance at 4k with the rtx 2080? would my cpu hold that gpu back?

I am not fussed about performance with ray tracing on as I will probably not use it in bfv.

Comments

• 5hadyBrady
    404 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 11
     If you're not going to use ray tracing, you would probably end up keeping the game in DX11. Most of the performance issues are tied to the API. If you keep it in DX11, you're always going to get poor CPU efficiency. No matter what GPU you buy. If you run the game in DX12, you're going to get frame latency, and dropped frames. There's no way to fix both of those DX12 problems until DICE start developing Battlefield games in DX12. So pick your poison. If you're going to stay in DX11, I wouldn't even bother buying a new GPU. As far as 2080/8700k in 4k, your CPU is not going to bottleneck the card. You can run a Ryzen 2600x without bottlenecks at 4k. High resolutions give the CPU a break because there's less frames being processed. That's why people benchmark CPU's at lower resolutions... Unless you're AMD, then you benchmark your CPU in 4k, and nobody seems to notice. lol.
  • R1ckyDaMan19
    455 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Well I use dx12 on my 1080 at the moment, with ffr off I get solid 60 fps at 2k with no input lag, I get a performance hit if I try dx11 with ffr off.
  • DOX_aus
    35 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    My understanding is dx12 ffr is always 'on' regardless of setting, thats why u dont see the fps hit compared to dx11.
  • R1ckyDaMan19
    edited August 12
    DOX_aus said:
    My understanding is dx12 ffr is always 'on' regardless of setting, thats why u dont see the fps hit compared to dx11.

Interesting, Then why do I not see the imput lag I see when ffr is on in the settings?

Anyway going slightly off topic :P
  • Nutcrusherr
    193 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DOX_aus said:

Interesting, Then why do I not see the imput lag I see when ffr is on in the settings?

Not everyone can feel the input lag. Some ppl notice some ppl dont.
    Same with 60 vs 144 hz. There are some ppl saying they dont see the difference.. well i couldnt go back to 60 thats for sure. :P
  • R1ckyDaMan19
    DOX_aus said:

Not everyone can feel the input lag. Some ppl notice some ppl dont.
    Same with 60 vs 144 hz. There are some ppl saying they dont see the difference.. well i couldnt go back to 60 thats for sure. :P

Yeah but when I turn ffr on in the settings I CAN feel the input lag, it's horrible.

But as soon as I turn ffr OFF I no longer feel it, both with dx12 enabled.
  • TFBisquit
    1329 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Dx12 it's at 2
    Dx11 it's at 1 with ffr off
    Dx11 it's at -1 with ffr on.
    Now somewhere in this forum it's already described, -1 is 3 or 4 frames rendered ahead, the others as their value say.
    You can type the command in console and see the current value, you will also notice you can't change it in dx12, it will revert to 2 each respawn.
    -
    With FFR on in dx11 I often feel I'm slightly behind in firefights, with ffr off I'm on par. Dx12 feels like a nice middle road, sometimes I still feel I'm behind in time, but most of the times it's accurate. Unfortunately it won't cure the one frame deaths, but that's a different discussion.